A big thanks to the guy who made winning the league possible

Bluedell

SPL champions! Made possible by Carlos Cuellar? Yes. I believe that Carlos Cuellar was one of the major reasons why we won the league this season.

The money from his transfer funded the purchases of Mendes, Davis and Edu, and without them we would not have won the league. There are three questions to look at.

1. Would Rangers have won the league without Mendes, Davis and Edu? The answer has to be a resounding NO.

Bougherra had joined us before we played Kaunus and with him and Weir in the team, we had the best defenive record in the league. Cuellar and Bougherra would have improved this, but I don't believe it would have made a significant difference.

However Mendes and Davis were mainstays throughout the whole season, and Edu came in and played a major part in our unbeaten run which propelled us to the title. Yes, there were periods during the season that Davis and Mendes didn't play that well, but who else would we have used? Adam? McCulloch?

Without the three of them, we would not have won the league, and would have struggled in the midfield area, particularly when you look at the two old firm games that we won, and which were vital in us winning the league.

2. Would the club been able to buy these players if Cuellar had not been sold? Again the answer has to be a NO.

If the club was looking to sell Boyd in January because it was going to be very close to its facility at the bank, then how could it possibly afford to buy these 3 players? there is no way that the club could afford to buy anyone else despite their protestations at the time.

3. Did Cuellar leave the club on his own volition? The evidence on this is inconclusive.

Would he have left had we qualified for the Champions League? I believe that the answer to this is no. He was in the directors box for the Kaunus game, and that isn't the actions of a player who has decided to leave.

After the Kaunus game, he may have looked around the club, and seen a team that had played its opening 2 European games with McCulloch and Adam in the midfield for the first match and McCulloch and Dailly in the midfield for the second and seen a team that was going absolutely nowhere. He would have seen a club that was in disarray, with no money to spend to improve the team, and felt that the club had badly let him down and decided to leave, and who could blame him for that? I certainly wouldn't and believe that he was badly let down.

Alternatively he could have been encouraged to go by Murray and Bain. They would have highlighted the financial plight of the club and explained that there was no cash left to buy a midfield, and did he want to play in team where the midfield mainstays were going to be Dailly, Adam and McCulloch, and that they needed him to leave, but they were going to say that he was invoking a clause in his contract for the good of the club's image.

I believe that he was encouraged to go but he would not have taken much persuasion as he could see the mess that the club was in.

We wil probably never know the exact reasons for Cuellar leaving but it remains that we would not have won the league with not having Mendes, Davis and Edu in the team during the season.

So to Carlos Cuellar - a big thanks for last season, and as big a thanks for help making this season so successful!

spl.gif

SPL champions! Made possible by Carlos Cuellar? Yes. I believe that Carlos Cuellar was one of the major reasons why we won the league this season.

The money from his transfer funded the purchases of Mendes, Davis and Edu, and without them we would not have won the league. There are three questions to look at.

1. Would Rangers have won the league without Mendes, Davis and Edu? The answer has to be a resounding NO.

Bougherra had joined us before we played Kaunus and with him and Weir in the team, we had the best defenive record in the league. Cuellar and Bougherra would have improved this, but I don't believe it would have made a significant difference.

However Mendes and Davis were mainstays throughout the whole season, and Edu came in and played a major part in our unbeaten run which propelled us to the title. Yes, there were periods during the season that Davis and Mendes didn't play that well, but who else would we have used? Adam? McCulloch?

Without the three of them, we would not have won the league, and would have struggled in the midfield area, particularly when you look at the two old firm games that we won, and which were vital in us winning the league.

2. Would the club been able to buy these players if Cuellar had not been sold? Again the answer has to be a NO.

If the club was looking to sell Boyd in January because it was going to be very close to its facility at the bank, then how could it possibly afford to buy these 3 players? there is no way that the club could afford to buy anyone else despite their protestations at the time.

3. Did Cuellar leave the club on his own volition? The evidence on this is inconclusive.

Would he have left had we qualified for the Champions League? I believe that the answer to this is no. He was in the directors box for the Kaunus game, and that isn't the actions of a player who has decided to leave.

After the Kaunus game, he may have looked around the club, and seen a team that had played its opening 2 European games with McCulloch and Adam in the midfield for the first match and McCulloch and Dailly in the midfield for the second and seen a team that was going absolutely nowhere. He would have seen a club that was in disarray, with no money to spend to improve the team, and felt that the club had badly let him down and decided to leave, and who could blame him for that? I certainly wouldn't and believe that he was badly let down.

Alternatively he could have been encouraged to go by Murray and Bain. They would have highlighted the financial plight of the club and explained that there was no cash left to buy a midfield, and did he want to play in team where the midfield mainstays were going to be Dailly, Adam and McCulloch, and that they needed him to leave, but they were going to say that he was invoking a clause in his contract for the good of the club's image.

I believe that he was encouraged to go but he would not have taken much persuasion as he could see the mess that the club was in.

We wil probably never know the exact reasons for Cuellar leaving but it remains that we would not have won the league with not having Mendes, Davis and Edu in the team during the season.

So to Carlos Cuellar - a big thanks for last season, and as big a thanks for help making this season so successful!

spl.gif

he seen the fat pay checks down south and any foreign player in his position would

i think its mr murray we need to thank for allowing walter to spend the money instead of giving it to the bank of scotland to cover his own ass

No thanks, as every player does they use the SPL as a stepping stone to the EPL, they know if they play well enough up here they will be noticed and will win a move as the clubs cant afford to keep them if a DECENT offer comes along.

I thank SDM , WALTER,ALLY,KENNY and all the players who stayed LOYAL and helped bring back what is rightfully ours (tu)

So thanks Guys

Similar to the sale of boumsong that funded Soti, waterauss, Ferguson and buffell it was indeed a factor in us winning the league…

To think certain people went on record embarrassing themselves about this sale….

I love being wise after the event….. ;)

P.S. up yours carlos........ :P

Dell he wasn't just in the Director's box (he wouldn't be able to afford a seat right beside you) for the Kaunus game, he was sitting in with the bears at Brockville on the first day of the league.

You make a fair point, and let's face it Jean-Alain Boumsong did something similar in 2004/5.

What a joke,Cuellar's a wanker and to say he helped us win the league is laughable and a disgrace.

It's not really.

He put in the performances that earned us £8m that in turn allowed us to sell him and buy in Bougherra, Mendes and Davis.

It's not all down to him, but it's clear as day to say that we wouldn't have had such players if it wasn't for him moving on.

Also if Martin bain wasn’t so good at negotiating deals we wouldn’t have got such a figure….well done Martin….

I felt we should have got more.

And I'm not just trying to start my daily (although not as daily any more..) argument with you, but any player that makes it into the official Champions League XI should be fetching £10m plus.

Just my opinion though :)

Also if Martin bain wasn’t so good at negotiating deals we wouldn’t have got such a figure….well done Martin….

I felt we should have got more.

And I'm not just trying to start my daily (although not as daily any more..) argument with you, but any player that makes it into the official Champions League XI should be fetching £10m plus.

Just my opinion though :)

Was tounge in cheek mate.....i'm still dizzy from last week and fly to scotland for a cup final ina few hoursso am in no mood for arguements...... :gerbad:(tu)

What a joke,Cuellar's a wanker and to say he helped us win the league is laughable and a disgrace.

It's not really.

He put in the performances that earned us £8m that in turn allowed us to sell him and buy in Bougherra, Mendes and Davis.

It's not all down to him, but it's clear as day to say that we wouldn't have had such players if it wasn't for him moving on.

Yeah but you could say that about anything or anyone really,saying thank you to Cuellar for making the league win possible for me is taking the praise off of the players who actually did win it and that is not fair at all.

Carlos Cuellar was worth a lot more than £7.8 million. It wasn't Martin Bain's or SDM's fault though as he invoked a clause in his contract.

But if they'd been a bit more canny they might have sparked a bidding war.

That's another thing that makes me dubious about the supposed clause....

Dell he wasn't just in the Director's box (he wouldn't be able to afford a seat right beside you) for the Kaunus game, he was sitting in with the bears at Brockville on the first day of the league.

You make a fair point, and let's face it Jean-Alain Boumsong did something similar in 2004/5.

Didn't know that he was also at the Falkirk game. Thanks for that, mate. Adds to my argument.

My argument for 2004/5 was that Willie McKay gave us the league as I understand it was him who approached Rangers with Boumsong. He gave us a great 5 months and then we used his cash to buy Fergie, Buffel, Wattereus and Kyrgiakos. This resulted in Helicopter Sunday. I'm sure that view would be even more unpopular. :craphead: