***The Confederations Cup Official thread***- Sunday's below 19:30

Boab

Marcello Lippi has announced the squad which will be travelling to South Africa for the Conderations Cup.

The Azzurri boss made a few unexpected calls. Inter youngster Davide Santon and Fiorentina's Riccardo Montolivo got the nod but he has decided to leave out Giampaolo Pazzini and Gaetano D’Agostino.

Confederations Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Marco Amelia (Palermo), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Galatasaray)

Defenders: Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Nicola Legrottaglie (Juventus), Andrea Dossena (Liverpool), Alessandro Gamberini (Fiorentina), Fabio Grosso (Lyon), Davide Santon (Inter), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan)

Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (Milan), Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria)

Strikers: Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal), Luca Toni (Bayern Munich)

I'm pretty happy with that.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun04x.html

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood what the Confederations cup is?

<cr>

All the Continent's Champions really + the World Cup.

The FIFA Confederations Cup is an association football tournament for national teams, currently held every four years by FIFA. It is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner and the host country, to bring the number of teams up to eight.

Wiki

Squads look brilliant. Surely at least Eurosport have it for coverage. Anyone know?

No idea mate.

BBC Red Button maybe?

BBC 3 and Interactive

Squads look brilliant. Surely at least Eurosport have it for coverage. Anyone know?

No idea mate.

BBC Red Button maybe?

BBC 3 and Interactive

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Well that's my June made. Can't wait to get a chance to see Egypt up against a real team like Spain or Brazil.

(AFP) Monday 8 June 2009

All-time USA scoring leader Landon Donovan and Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard were among the 23-man squad named on Sunday by coach Bob Bradley for the FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009.

The American squad, featuring 17 European-based players, will depart on Monday for South Africa to begin training in Pretoria ahead of matches on 15 June against Italy, 18 June against Brazil and 21 June against Egypt.

"The FIFA Confederations Cup is a great opportunity to play against top level competition and gain further experience competing in tough games," Bradley said.

"Equally important is the chance for our team to experience the environment in South Africa, everything from travel to food to weather. We believe the experience will be invaluable if we qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup."

The USA squad enhanced the chances of that with a 2-1 FIFA World Cup qualifying victory at home over Honduras on Saturday. Steve Cherundolo and Frankie Hejduk, both wing backs, are injured and not part of the line-up for the Americans, who will play next month in the CONCACAF Gold Cup on home soil before resuming FIFA World Cup qualifying in August at Mexico.

USA squad

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England), Luis Robles (Kaiserslautern, Germany)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Danny Califf (Midtjylland, Denmark), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock, Germany), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United, England), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (AS Monaco, France), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus, Denmark), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca, Mexico)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Xerez, Spain), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news...ad+south+africa

Thought I'd just make this the official thread (tu)

Group AMatch Date - Time Venue Results

1 14/06 15:00 Johannesburg South Africa - Iraq

2 14/06 19:30 Rustenburg New Zealand - Spain

5 17/06 15:00 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Spain - Iraq

6 17/06 19:30 Rustenburg South Africa South Africa - New Zealand

9 20/06 19:30 Johannesburg Iraq - New Zealand

10 20/06 19:30 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Spain - South Africa

Group BMatch Date - Time Venue

3 15/06 15:00 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Brazil Egypt -

4 15/06 19:30 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Italy

7 18/06 15:00 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Brazil

8 18/06 19:30 Johannesburg Egypt -Italy

11 21/06 19:30 Tshwane/Pretoria Italy - Brazil

12 21/06 19:30 Rustenburg Egypt -USA

I changed this to UK time (tu)

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

Group AMatch Date - Time Venue Results

1 14/06 15:00 Johannesburg South Africa - Iraq

2 14/06 19:30 Rustenburg New Zealand - Spain

5 17/06 15:00 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Spain - Iraq

6 17/06 19:30 Rustenburg South Africa South Africa - New Zealand

9 20/06 19:30 Johannesburg Iraq - New Zealand

10 20/06 19:30 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Spain - South Africa

Group BMatch Date - Time Venue

3 15/06 15:00 Mangaung/Bloemfontein Brazil Egypt -

4 15/06 19:30 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Italy

7 18/06 15:00 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Brazil

8 18/06 19:30 Johannesburg Egypt -Italy

11 21/06 19:30 Tshwane/Pretoria Italy - Brazil

12 21/06 19:30 Rustenburg Egypt -USA

I changed this to UK time (tu)

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

It's good you can count, just want to see you spell now!

Spain squad

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool), Diego Lopez (Villarreal)

Defenders: Carles Puyol (FC Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Valencia), Arbeloa (Liverpool), Gerard Pique (FC Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Joan Capdevilla (Villarreal)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (FC Barcelona), Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), Andres Iniesta (FC Barcelona), David Silva (Valencia), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Xavi, (FC Barcelona), Albert Riera (Liverpool)

Forward: Daniel Guiza (Fenerbahce), Fernando Llorente (Athletic de Bilbao), David Villa (Valencia), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

I'm very surprised that Seb Giovinco and Marco Motta have been left out actually.

Fully expected both to be taken.

Giovinco wasn't used that much this season. He is hoping for a chance to shine under Ferrara next season.

I'm very surprised that Seb Giovinco and Marco Motta have been left out actually.

Fully expected both to be taken.

Giovinco wasn't used that much this season. He is hoping for a chance to shine under Ferrara next season.

I suppose, but I always expect a smattering of youth players for the Confed Cup.

But I'm forgetting that there's no other international tournament this summer, so it's full strength sides.

I'm hoping to catch the US's games so I can get a closer look at Marvell Wynne and Sacha Kljestan.

Good luck catching the Marvell Wynne-shaped blur on the right hand side of the pitch.

His pace is incredible!