Walter 'If someone makes a bid we have to decide if we accept it.

Boab

Jul 5 2009 Exclusive by Gordon Waddell

RANGERS boss Walter Smith last night admitted every player at Ibrox is still up for sale - despite the club's £15million Champions League windfall.

The SPL champions return from a six-week break for pre-season training at Murray Park on Thursday.

But in an exclusive interview, Smith has delivered a reality check by revealing the financial crisis that rocked Ibrox in January still hangs over the club. That means Gers will consider bids for any of their stars.

And Smith admits he is also unlikely to buy big in the transfer market this summer.

However, he refuses to be downbeat after watching his side claim the SPL title and Scottish Cup last term. And the Ibrox boss believes he. a side that will see off Tony Mowbray's revamped Celtic AND perform in Europe. He said: "What happened in January is still there. Every player is susceptible to a bid. "We told them circumstances meant we had to sell a player and we're still in that situation. "I know there's a feelgood factor after winning the Double but this doesn't go away. "Yes, it's far less of a problem than in January. But the problem most teams outwith the big leagues have is still at Rangers' door. "We know we won't have a big-name buy but we DO have a team that can be successful. "We've lost players likeCarlos Cuellar and Alan Hutton and still managed to get success." Former skipper Barry Ferguson has already been linked with Birmingham City. But Walter said: "Barry is the same as every other player.

If someone makes a bid we have to decide if we accept it. "And we won't be spending a lot on players just because we're in the Champions League. We still have to be prudent." That sense of responsibility weighs heavily on Smith's shoulders - and it's a buck he refuses to pass. He said: "I get accused of being too close to the chairman but David Murray has run Rangers for 20 years and put in a load of money. "Every company in the world has been affected by the credit crunch. How can I go to David and say I need so many millions when there are consequences? "The level-headed fan will see it's an unfair situation to put the chairman in. I hope everyone understands why I won't ask." That reality hit home when Smith became aware losing the title last season would cost jobs all through the club. He said: "People have worked here for 20 years and suddenly you find if you don't get Champions League money they are facing redundancy. "It made the finish to the season as tense as any I have experienced. There was as much relief as joy when we won."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-21495754/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not new story - of course we have to look at any bids we recieve and if the price is right then we will accept it - the key here being if the price is right! BUt there are NO untouchables in our team, it is just a valuation issue!

Not new story - of course we have to look at any bids we recieve and if the price is right then we will accept it - the key here being if the price is right! BUt there are NO untouchables in our team, it is just a valuation issue!

Its not new but its reiteration which is important for a reminder to the fans arguably with the CL money that has came in.

Its not new but its reiteration which is important for a reminder to the fans arguably with the CL money that has came in.

A stable future is more important than this year's CL - more important, in fact, than any year's CL - so we need to be sensible.

Is that not how all football clubs work?

If a club make a bid for one of your players, you consider it and then decide whether to accept it or not.

This also crossed my mind.

Whatever happens we need to keep the core of the team, Bougie, thompson, davis, pedro, boyd, sasa and maybe edu. Everyone else has a price. Saying that, if an mega offer comes in for one of these guys they will be considered.

If a club make a bid for one of your players, you consider it and then decide whether to accept it or not.

Haha, aye. The opening line in the article is the press doing its thing again "everyone is up for sale" haha, cant believe some take it so seriously

Whatever happens we need to keep the core of the team, Bougie, thompson, davis, pedro, boyd, sasa and maybe edu. Everyone else has a price. Saying that, if an mega offer comes in for one of these guys they will be considered.

Who? :pipe:

Haha, aye. The opening line in the article is the press doing its thing again "everyone is up for sale" haha, cant believe some take it so seriously

Thats why I didn't use the paper's own headline :)

Who? :pipe:

Lets bring back Stevie Thompson, he can be our 'Cousin type' :gerbad:

Rangers boss Walter Smith has conceded the whole squad at Ibrox is still up for sale.

Smith admits every player has a price as Gers look to balance the books despite their SPL title success last season.

Rangers have secured entry to the lucrative group stages of the UEFA Champions League, but Smith admits his hands are tied in the transfer market as the club would consider any bids for their top players.

"What happened in January is still there. Every player is susceptible to a bid," Smith told the Sunday Mail.

"We told them circumstances meant we had to sell a player and we're still in that situation.

"I know there's a feel good factor after winning the double but this doesn't go away."

Smith revealed there will not be any big-money arrivals at Ibrox this summer, but is confident they can still achieve success with his current squad.

"We know we won't have a big-name buy but we do have a team that can be successful," added Smith.

"We've lost players like Carlos Cuellar and Alan Hutton and still managed to get success."

It almost sounds like we're trying to sell our most valuable assets.

And the disappointment at his admission that we're not signing any 'big names' is stark.

We all knew we would not have a 'Big name' signing. Our finances are the cause for that but if our ''scouts'' actually do a bit of work there are young, talented and cheap players out there. It's just a case of finding them.

As for the every player is up for sale thing, it is the same with every club. Every player has their price. Although I would want to keep Edu, Papac, Thomson, Novo, Bougherra, Alexander and Davis.

We all knew we would not have a 'Big name' signing. Our finances are the cause for that but if our ''scouts'' actually do a bit of work there are young, talented and cheap players out there. It's just a case of finding them.

As for the every player is up for sale thing, it is the same with every club. Every player has their price. Although I would want to keep Edu, Papac, Thomson, Novo, Bougherra, Alexander and Davis.

What I find disappointing is that he hasn't said 'we won't sell our best players'.

But I suppose if Man Utd, Lyon and Milan are at it, we have to too.

That said, I can't see a 30M bid for Bougherra coming in.

So does he mean that there wont be any new players at all or just no big money signings?

I really do belive we need a new CB, RB, RW and LW as we have no quality here at present.

I agree with these positions.

I will be very surprised if we still have Bougherra, Davis and Mendes come the start of the season.

We are unable to compete with Championship clubs so if any premiership clubs come in for our best players they will be off like a shot unfortunately.

I will be very surprised if we still have Bougherra, Davis and Mendes come the start of the season.

tbf I'd only want to keep 2 of them.

We are unable to compete with Championship clubs so if any premiership clubs come in for our best players they will be off like a shot unfortunately.

Championship clubs? Most Championship clubs pay their players less than the OF do. We can compete with them. It's the EPL we have no chance against.

tbf I'd only want to keep 2 of them.

Championship clubs? Most Championship clubs pay their players less than the OF do. We can compete with them. It's the EPL we have no chance against.

(tu)

read an article on this as well but it did say at the start it was a january headline, we know who he wants to keep so i guess its bollocks fae the papers, if it is true it was inevitable this would happen anyway.

gotta say though, why do people think a player would leave us to go to a premier team that aint in europe

If we were to receive a bid of over £3m for Mendes I would not think twice about it (tu)

If we were to receive any bid for Mendes I would not think twice about it.