ibrox52

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Published : Thursday, July 16, 2009

TV deal completed with SKY & ESPN

At today’s AGM, the clubs agreed a £65 million deal with Sky and ESPN to screen 60 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League matches each season across the UK and Ireland.

The deal will last until the end of season 2011/12 with the SPL having an option to extend for a further two seasons.

Lex Gold, Chairman of the SPL, said: “We are pleased that in just over three weeks we have been able to strike this deal. Sky and ESPN are two of the biggest names in sports broadcasting and they will bring first class production standards and a wide audience to the table.

"We are looking forward to working with both in the coming years to raise the profile of the SPL for our clubs, fans and partners."

Additional information

+ Sky and ESPN will both cover 30 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League games each season.

+ The broadcast slots will remain as Saturday lunchtimes, Sunday lunchtimes, Sunday afternoons and Monday nights.

+ The SPL’s existing broadcasting deals with BBC, BT Vision, MG ALBA and Sportfive will be unaffected by this deal.

+ All games will be broadcast in High Definition and Standard Definition formats.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.as...0&back=home

So £65million over 3 seasons?

For the love God...

Even if that is true it's far better than the £65 million over five seasons we were at......

Certainly...but its still not what we had with Setanta. We'll need to see what the deal actually is. This report is sketchy at best

The £125m from setanta is an unrealistic figure, hence why they went down the tubes.

The deal isn't that bad. Old firm deal was £25m over two years (£12.5m per year)

Sky deal is £65m over 5 years (£13m per year) and looks like we could opt out or renegotiate after 3 years so it's only 1 year of a difference but with more experienced broadcasters.

I already have Sky Sports.. does this mean I have to buy more stuff?

I only want to see the Rangers away games.

20 games sky....40 games espn so yes you will need to pay £9 a month to see all of them.....

SPL coverage is effectively 30 quid a month now - 20 quid for the Sky Sports channels, and 9 for ESPN.

I already have Sky Sports.. does this mean I have to buy more stuff?

I only want to see the Rangers away games.

20 games sky....40 games espn so yes you will need to pay £9 a month to see all of them.....

SPL coverage is effectively 30 quid a month now - 20 quid for the Sky Sports channels, and 9 for ESPN.

Sky are great though.

When we get it, we order for a month or two then cancel, yet every time we cancel Sky seemingly 'forget' to take it off our screens and we get it for the next three months :lol:

HD is one plus point.......

A good excuse for my dad to get Sky.

Virgin are fucking awful for Live HD coverage.

They only do one channel, BBC.

Surely it's not £65 million over two years......

I read that as £65million over three seasons :blink:

Perhaps the OF have forced SKY/ESPN to reconsider ?

Is this right ?

'Cos if it is then a massive well done should be extended to Murray.

Reading between the lines, Rangers and Celtic were each going to get £1.9m pa from the £13m pa pot that was on the table last week. So its not split equally, seems the OF share about a third of the revenue.

This deal is £65m over 3 years, rather than 5 years.

If all of the above is true, Rangers will be back up to over £3.6m which is quite near the £4m SDM said we were originally/previously looking at.

Looks like we've done not to bad at first glance.

Surely it's not £65 million over two years......

I read that as £65million over three seasons :blink:

Perhaps the OF have forced SKY/ESPN to reconsider ?

Is this right ?

'Cos if it is then a massive well done should be extended to Murray.

Originally, 65 million over five years meant 13 million a season...However if it's 65 million over 3 years then it is a good piece of business, I just cannot see it though.

It's hardly shit. SSN said it was to the 11/12 season.

Shitanta were the idiots who raised expectations by promising £125m that they couldn't pay. We were only getting £54m before that and now we're getting £65m.

We have been screwed over a barrell with this deal , the SPL have seen the £££ signs and taken the first offer handed to them

compared to the EPL our full deal is the same value as 2 EPL teams tv payments for 1 season alone, the SPL is a joke organisation from top to bottom

we are suffacating in this league competativly and financially so the quicker someone has the balls to step up to the plate and start some form of

European league were we can at least try and compete fairly with the top teams in Europe till then we will continue to accept mediocrity being forced

upon us by the idiots running the SPL.

Hamilton vs Falkirk etc

lets be honest who wants to watch it

Me, Scottish football is our game.

Your missing the point.

What about the rest of the UK? England, Wales etc?

That's the point, do a lot of people in the UK want to watch Falkirk V Hamilton etc? No. Sky/ESPN are looking for a brand which people want to watch. That's what it's all about and that's why this deal is only 65 million compared to the Premier league's 1bn new deal.