Retaining title in the balance due to lack of signings

Rangers' hopes of retaining their Clydesdale Bank Premier League title next season will be in the balance without new faces at Ibrox, according to John MacMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association.

Light Blues boss Walter Smith conceded that the SPL champions could start the season without a single new addition to the squad which lost former captain Barry Ferguson to Birmingham over the weekend for a fee of £1.25million.

"We don't expect to see any signings but that doesn't make it acceptable," said MacMillan.

"It is very disappointing but I can see the reasons behind it. We have players on long-term contracts whom we can't get rid of.

"I don't believe Rangers would be difficult to deal with but it is quite obvious that there are players at Ibrox that no-one wants.

"So it's a bit worrying for the fans. I would hope the squad would be good enough to win the SPL again but it remains to be seen. Celtic are spending and strengthening and they will be very formidable opposition.

"There are still a lot of good players at the club but maybe we need to get a bit more flair into the team to help Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis.

"Ferguson's departure won't cause any problems but Madjid Bougherra would be a disaster if he goes.

"There is absolutely no player at Ibrox who is anywhere near capable of doing the job that he does. Rangers have to pull out all the stops to keep him.

"But Europe is a worry. We have struggled badly in the qualifiers in recent years and now we are straight in to the group stages and that will be a big, big task. We have to concentrate on the domestic scene this season and treat Europe as a bonus in terms of money."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19072009/63/...k-signings.html

I don't agree, i think the current squad would be capable of capturing the title again.

As long as we don't sell any of our important players.

Every team in the world need to strengthen their team before the start of every season.

Yet you seem to think Rangers dont

Care to explain why?

I don't agree, i think the current squad would be capable of capturing the title again.

Every team in the world need to strengthen their team before the start of every season.

Care to explain why?

Everyone knows about our financial situation which means there will be no big money buys and Smith has already said not to expect any signings.

It would be good if we were to strengthen and it would more than likely help the team, as in a left winger as that's a position we have been lacking a cutting edge in for the last few seasons.

But i think with the youth coming through and the squad of players we won the title with last season i think that would be enough to retain the title.

The main thing is to be more consistent. Neither team will be able to afford to drop points the amount of times they did last season. You have to remember Walter is in his 3rd full season now? The mere fact he won the league last season with the players he had, was nothing short of amazing and he only had 2 full seasons to do it. Should of really won both campaigns.

So can i see the team winning it again? Yes i can. I think we will win it again.

Everyone knows about our financial situation which means there will be no big money buys and Smith has already said not to expect any signings.

We all know about the financial situation. However just because we dont have money, it doesnt mean our team doesnt need strengthening. Right now out squad is weaker and has many unproven players in it.

It would be good if we were to strengthen and it would more than likely help the team, as in a left winger as that's a position we have been lacking a cutting edge in for the last few seasons.

We need a winger thats for sure, but we also need a centre back to partner Bougherra or cover for Weir if he gets injured. Might also be argued that we need another Striker.

But i think with the youth coming through and the squad of players we won the title with last season i think that would be enough to retain the title.

Who in our youth team has actually came into the side and produced? Who has had a run in the first team? and who can handle the pressure of playing for Rangers?

Be good to give youth a chance but if it doesnt work out, we are up shit creek.

Celtic will be a stronger team this year, last years efforts might not be enough.

Rangers' hopes of retaining their Clydesdale Bank Premier League title next season will be in the balance without new faces at Ibrox, according to John MacMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association.

Light Blues boss Walter Smith conceded that the SPL champions could start the season without a single new addition to the squad which lost former captain Barry Ferguson to Birmingham over the weekend for a fee of £1.25million.

"We don't expect to see any signings but that doesn't make it acceptable," said MacMillan.

"It is very disappointing but I can see the reasons behind it. We have players on long-term contracts whom we can't get rid of.

"I don't believe Rangers would be difficult to deal with but it is quite obvious that there are players at Ibrox that no-one wants.

"So it's a bit worrying for the fans. I would hope the squad would be good enough to win the SPL again but it remains to be seen. Celtic are spending and strengthening and they will be very formidable opposition.

"There are still a lot of good players at the club but maybe we need to get a bit more flair into the team to help Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis.

"Ferguson's departure won't cause any problems but Madjid Bougherra would be a disaster if he goes.

"There is absolutely no player at Ibrox who is anywhere near capable of doing the job that he does. Rangers have to pull out all the stops to keep him.

"But Europe is a worry. We have struggled badly in the qualifiers in recent years and now we are straight in to the group stages and that will be a big, big task. We have to concentrate on the domestic scene this season and treat Europe as a bonus in terms of money."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19072009/63/...k-signings.html

Like who? The only one I can think if that we'd like to get rid of and has much of a contract is McGregor... Maybe Adam too.

We all know about the financial situation. However just because we dont have money, it doesnt mean our team doesnt need strengthening. Right now out squad is weaker and has many unproven players in it.

We need a winger thats for sure, but we also need a centre back to partner Bougherra or cover for Weir if he gets injured. Might also be argued that we need another Striker.

Who in our youth team has actually came into the side and produced? Who has had a run in the first team? and who can handle the pressure of playing for Rangers?

Be good to give youth a chance but if it doesnt work out, we are up shit creek.

Celtic will be a stronger team this year, last years efforts might not be enough.

I see where your coming from mate, I agree with a striker. One that would be good in the champions league i don't think any of our current strikers could cut it in Europe. At CB i reckon If it came to it Edu or Mcculloch could come in and do the job if Weir was to get injured. We do need players i just dont know how we are going to get them.

Jordan Mcmillan is also in line for a call up, he could make it through and prove his worthy.

Its the centre back position that's worrying me most,once the suspensions start coming i don't like the idea of

McCulloch and Edu playing there,i sincerely hope Danny Wilson starts a few pre season games beside David Weir

to prepare him for the step up.We could be doing with a winger and a striker but i'm not as worried about they positions

but IMO an experienced centreback is a must

this situation is 50/50, we're risking the title imo :anguish:...we can't just rely on the youth, look at the pressure on every player at rangers. I reckon we should be making signings and winning titles year in year out nd getting into europe to pay off our debt not just trying to sell players cause its obviously not working to well...

John MacMillan? Who gives a f*ck what he has to say? Is he Walter Smith? Nope. Must be a slow news day. His opinion is simply that -- his opinion. Europe is always a worry John - always. And it's hard to play in eastern Europe in July when you've played almost 70 matches the season before. Thanks for stating the bloody obvious.

The season has to start soon.

We simply have to strengthen. This current squad is not good enough for the SPL, Champions League, Scottish, and Cooperative Cups!

We don't have the quality, and experience in certain areas. Every team has a summer shake up, especially ones challenging for every honour possible. We are that club!

I couldn't give a shit what celtc do, I'm more worried about what we do/don't do!

The season kicks off in 27 days time; that' not a long time in football, especially in this climate. I demand a few quality signings, along with keeping our stars, before the season kicks off.

Just do it Rangers - we have the makings of a good, good squad, one that will be successful in every front for years to come. A few tweaks here and there, and we are laughing!

We simply have to strengthen. This current squad is not good enough for the SPL, Champions League, Scottish, and Cooperative Cups!

We don't have the quality, and experience in certain areas. Every team has a summer shake up, especially ones challenging for every honour possible. We are that club!

I couldn't give a shit what celtc do, I'm more worried about what we do/don't do!

The season kicks off in 27 days time; that' not a long time in football, especially in this climate. I demand a few quality signings, along with keeping our stars, before the season kicks off.

Just do it Rangers - we have the makings of a good, good squad, one that will be successful in every front for years to come. A few tweaks here and there, and we are laughing!

spot on man (tu)

Care to explain why?

I don't think we need to strengthen and here's why.

We played well in the last 10 games, with a settled side and players that were starting to get a grip on what the SPL is like and how to deal with the 150+mph football and hatchet-like defences we'll come up against.

If we don't lose anyone and are as consistent as we were towards the end of last season, we'll do well enough to win the SPL.

If Mopebray brings no-one else in, I'd be confident of lifting the title. Sellic's defence couldn't keep weans out a close.

In replacing a lump of wood (JVOH) with Fortune and a hairy fanny (Hartley) with N'Guemo, Celtic are probably at least four points better off than last year.

Are we?

I don't agree with this logic, there's nothing yet to suggest that both players will be a success.

Care to explain why?

I don't think we need to strengthen and here's why.

We played well in the last 10 games, with a settled side and players that were starting to get a grip on what the SPL is like and how to deal with the 150+mph football and hatchet-like defences we'll come up against.

If we don't lose anyone and are as consistent as we were towards the end of last season, we'll do well enough to win the SPL.

If Mopebray brings no-one else in, I'd be confident of lifting the title. Sellic's defence couldn't keep weans out a close.

But we did not play well the last 10 games, most of them were a struggle, and to be honest if we dont sign any new players then i can see it being a long hard season. Plus i am over the moon that we managed to win the title, reason being is that i have seen a lot of Rangers teams, but this one is one of the poorest teams i have seen but still won the title.

Celtc's defence isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I think they only conceded 5 more than us in the SPL, and they scored more goals, even when McDonald, Samaras, and Jim Vinegar were firing blanks. Of course, we won the league but celtc have strengthened; N'Guemo, and Fortune are good players IMO.

We got the results at the end of the day, and that's all that matters, but we were still playing poor football.

We need strengthening!

In replacing a lump of wood (JVOH) with Fortune and a hairy fanny (Hartley) with N'Guemo, Celtic are probably at least four points better off than last year.

Are we?

I don't agree with this logic, there's nothing yet to suggest that both players will be a success.

Possibly, but both players brought in are clearly superior to those who have left.

The fact is that if we continue without a first pick left winger/midfielde and someone to take over fromn Davie Weir then we are in deep trouble, we got away with being pish last year, we got away with Davie playing so deep the midfield had to cover far too much ground and were over-run in many games by teams like St Mirren, Falkirk, etc. I honestly believe if we don't cover these two positions then Sellik will romp the league, hate to say it but I saw enough pish last year that to remain unchanged fills me with dread.

The bulk of our regulars last year are still young - they have all gained in experience and now won the league - that will make the current squad stronger. Thomson and Naismith ar also back after long term injuries. While I would like a couple of signings if it is financially not possible, nor is it all doom and gloom.

if we have few injuries we may well win the SPL, but if we have Boogie injures or a full back injured at the same time and Webster is away and Broadfoot injured then we are struggling with McCulloch or Wilson at CH and Who at fullback?

Are we?

Possibly, but both players brought in are clearly superior to those who have left.

Not sure this is the case either, but then I have never watched either of them play. I do remember there being a lot of hype over JVOH when he first signed and many people considering him to be a top quality striker. That did not work out. I also recall certain people wanting US to sign Hartley as they felt he was a good player for Hearts. (Thank f@ck we didn't sign that pr1ck)...

Anyway my point is that both these players are unproven in the SPL and neither fills me with any dread, it takes time to settle at a new club and in a new style of league and many have failed in the past despite being good players.

Like everyone else, I am worried about lack of cover at center half... but if Weir and Bougie stay injury free, I still believe that we are the superior side and that we will win the league.... again this is assuming that the league were to start today with no further transfers to or from either us or them

What do you base that on ?

Castlemilks record is far superior to Fortune (Sp)

And I doubt this other bloke is a better player than Nakadiver