Football's top ten mercenaries

Number 3 is pretty interesting..................

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/200...ercenaries.html

1. Sven-Goran Eriksson – obviously.

2. Ashley Cole – Cashley came over all indignant and nearly crashed the car when he heard Arsenal were only offering him £55,000 a week. All together now..... aahh.

3. Pierre Van Hooijdonk – comes in this high in the rankings for the wonderful quote when he spurned Celtic's contract offer in 1997. “£7,000 a week would be fine for the homeless,” he philosophised, “but not for me.” Joined Nottingham Forest for £4.5million then went on strike for 11 games when he found out the team was rubbish.

4. Gareth Barry – a family man of integrity, played his heart out for Aston Villa after they effectively vetoed his transfer to Liverpool, then decided, upon being granted permission to fulfil his dream of moving to a Champions League club, to take (rumour has it) £150,000 a week from Manchester City.

5. Winston Bogarde – earned £8.3million in a four-year contract with Chelsea in which he started four games. At least his weekly £40,000 softened the travel costs of commuting from Amsterdam to train with the youth team by the end. “I am the biggest outcast in England,” he wailed. Wonder why that was, Winston?

6. Fabrizio Ravanelli – loved Middlesbrough (“all I have for these fans is love”), loved Marseille (“it is my own little paradise”), loved Derby County (“Maybe I will pay for free? Money is not important to me”), notwithstanding their insistence on paying him £40,000 a week as the club sank towards League One.

7. Carlo Tevez – love that "Welcome to Manchester" sign they've put up in the city centre, with Sheffield United's favourite Argentinian in the blue of City. So unloved at Manchester United they paid him £90,000 a week and only played him 48 times last season, including a Champions League final, he soon found solace in an extra £40k a week.

8. Ronaldo – Massimo Moratti, the Inter president, financed the Brazilian's treatment, counselling and £72,000 weekly wage for nearly three years of injury before he defied everyone's denials by moving to Real Madrid.

9. Luis Figo – faced flying bottles, a knife and, urm, a pig's head from the Barca fans who used to adore him when he returned with Real Madrid on £72k a week (netto). “My conscience is clear,” he said. “I thought uniquely of myself.” Fantastic honesty.

10. Fabio Capello – maybe a little harsh. At least he backs up his £6million annual salary by actually being very good at his job

Eriksson is only a mercenary coz he keeps gettin sacked!!! Anelka HAS to be in there, how could they forget him? as soon as i seen the thread title i IMMEDIATELY thought of Anelka.

how can you say anelka is a mercenary

cause his clubs flogged him doesnt make him a merc, fact is he played well for all his teams and when a better team came along he jumped at the chance to improve himself

he engineered the moves along with his brother/agent purely to make more money. The clubs didnt flog him as you put it - he threatened striking and took a hump when they wanted to keep him he's about the worst mercenary there is

how can you say anelka is a mercenary

cause his clubs flogged him doesnt make him a merc, fact is he played well for all his teams and when a better team came along he jumped at the chance to improve himself

he engineered the moves along with his brother/agent purely to make more money. The clubs didnt flog him as you put it - he threatened striking and took a hump when they wanted to keep him he's about the worst mercenary there is

Has he ever left a club on good terms?