Pilates - AC Milan & Fulham endorse it, should we?

rossf

Iv read recently that Fulham and AC Milan are incorporating pilates in to their training. AC Milan aparently doing it for 1 hour a day to increase core strength.

I dont claim to know anything about this but i hear its supposed to be good for core strength and flexibility.

Do we, or should we be doing something like this to help the fitness levels at our club and in particular for some players. Boyd and Adam to name a couple.

This frustrates me the most as a strength and conditioning coach. Pilates had been around forever and some of the concepts can be transferred through to sports conditioning. Football is a long way behind other sports in terms of conditioning with an old school mentality very much adopted by alot if clubs. Very few clubs but to name a few eg Portsmouth and arsenal have cottoned on to integrated performance programmes similar to what is used in the NFL and NBA. The result better athletes and less injuries.

Introuducing pilates during preseason isn't going to make you win on th pitch and until we realise that conditioning our players correctly and consistently, educating them along the way and empowering them as opposed to boring them, then next season powerplate will be the thing, then yoga then weekday mornings with mr motivator.

We have recently hired a sports coach to work 5 days of the week, and at the moment he is doing advanced yoga and Wushu with them. the guy and his da are rangers fan aswell, so he'll put them through their paces. His names Allan.. something.

Anyways, there you go.

I'd be AMAZED if Adam Owen isn't using this as part of the routine already and if not - why the hell not!????

of COURSE it should be incorporated - it's brilliant!

would be REALLY surprised if this is not part of the regime.

It's like a form of Yoga but using very specific excercises to increase the strength around your back, abs, legs, hips etc. while working on breathing control and flexibility.

I can't remember which MMA fighter it was, maybe GSP, that was doing that training but they did the pilates in a room with all the heaters on and windows shut to make it harder to get oxygen to the working muscles. He used it for the same reasons to increase his core strength and balance.

im sorry i must seem like a moron/unfit bastard here, what the fucks a pilate?

pronounced PI-LAATEY-S (as in a Latte Coffee)

It's all core work (i.e. yer stomach muscles (fat cu**s dont have these) "based on an exercise method designed to elongate, strengthen and restore the body to balance. It's an anatomical understanding of the body's muscular and skeletal systems and focuses on specific areas individually whilst using exercises that integrate the whole body to re-educate and restore it to optimum muscular and skeletal function"

yeah - i cut and pasted that from some webshite or other! in case yer wonderin!