Why do you support Scotland?

GOAT

I like to see them win. I'm not going to wish failure upon them. However, either down to the fact they cannot offer me as much as Rangers can, or whether I am just used to them losing, I'm not as downbeat if they lose compared to when Rangers lose.

Some people support Rangers and not the national team. For me, Rangers come first, then Scotland.

That just reeks of a glory hunter.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even believe this question is being asked. And some people wonder why people hate us. You ALWAYS support your own country. I'm just back on here after a while & can't believe the sites been taken over by a bunch of numpties. (for want of a better word) When it comes down to it, Rangers are my team, whether they are playing brilliant or absolute crap. But I'll always support Scotland.

:scot:

WATP

Confused at this post, what do you mean by "ALWAYS support your country" as a football team do you mean? rugby? any other sport? anyone that is Scottish?

Personally i do support Scotland, however i have no problems with anyone that doesn't, don't think it should be stamped in stone, that if you're from Scotland you have to support all things Scottish

Yip, exactly. Eat haggis, wear a kilt, drink whisky, etc. If we don't support our own people, who will. I'm not confused at this post. I just can't believe some of the things that pass as a ligit topic on here. As it's been said in a previous post, we hate the tims for supporting Ireland but it's ok for us not to support our national team. Get real.

WATP

I can't even believe this question is being asked. And some people wonder why people hate us. You ALWAYS support your own country. I'm just back on here after a while & can't believe the sites been taken over by a bunch of numpties. (for want of a better word) When it comes down to it, Rangers are my team, whether they are playing brilliant or absolute crap. But I'll always support Scotland.

WATP

Confused at this post, what do you mean by "ALWAYS support your country" as a football team do you mean? rugby? any other sport? anyone that is Scottish?

Personally i do support Scotland, however i have no problems with anyone that doesn't, don't think it should be stamped in stone, that if you're from Scotland you have to support all things Scottish

Yip, exactly. Eat haggis, wear a kilt, drink whisky, etc. If we don't support our own people, who will. I'm not confused at this post. I just can't believe some of the things that pass as a ligit topic on here. As it's been said in a previous post, we hate the tims for supporting Ireland but it's ok for us not to support our national team. Get real.

WATP

Yeah you're right, support all things Scottish

dennis-mchugh.jpg

This is not an attack on our fans that support Scotland, it's just a simple question.

But how can you cheer on players you absolutely despise?

How can you sit next to fans who hate you, and hate your players?

How can you cheer a coach who obviously has a problem with Rangers players?

I hate the national team with a passion, it's full of people who hate me equally for what I am.

Did you support the national team when Eck or Smith were the managers?

No, I didn't.

WATP

WATP

Yeah you're right, support all things Scottish

dennis-mchugh.jpg

I'm actually a bit worried that you had that picture so readily available to post on here. :D

WATP

I like to see them win. I'm not going to wish failure upon them. However, either down to the fact they cannot offer me as much as Rangers can, or whether I am just used to them losing, I'm not as downbeat if they lose compared to when Rangers lose.

Some people support Rangers and not the national team. For me, Rangers come first, then Scotland.

That just reeks of a glory hunter.

Yeh, that's right. In fact, I started supporting Rangers throughout 9IAR, then it fazed out until the end of last season...

Fuck off.

We slag the tims for supporting a foreign country like the roi thats different from not liking scotland. But I couldn't sit amongst people who hate you for what you are ie being a Protestant Rangers supporting Glaswegian , its like us sitting in the celtic end in my opinion.

Personally , I like seeing Northern Ireland&England doing well as they are proud to be British.

We slag the tims for supporting a foreign country like the roi thats different from not liking scotland. But I couldn't sit amongst people who hate you for what you are ie being a Protestant Rangers supporting Glaswegian , its like us sitting in the celtic end in my opinion.

Personally , I like seeing Northern Ireland&England doing well as they are proud to be British.

this way of thinking is something i will not and can not ever understand

You know, usually when I say that I'm not that bothered about Scotland, I still get into it a wee bit when watching the games.

Tonight, there's nothing there. I don't feel happy/sad/bothered about anything.

Feels like watching a match between two teams that I have no interest in.

And it's all Burley's fault (td)

Posted that in the match thread and it's as honest as I can be.

You know, usually when I say that I'm not that bothered about Scotland, I still get into it a wee bit when watching the games.

Tonight, there's nothing there. I don't feel happy/sad/bothered about anything.

Feels like watching a match between two teams that I have no interest in.

And it's all Burley's fault (td)

Posted that in the match thread and it's as honest as I can be.

(tu) agree with you but i wouldve liked to have seen scotland win

I dont understand the How can you sit next to fans that hate you? part.

I have plenty of friends that are Celtic fans. I dont see why sitting next to one would put you off supporting your national team.

Anyway, i thought i'd feel atleast a tiny bit gutted after a 4-0 humping off Norway, but i wasnt. Not in the slightest. Burley just doesnt excite me in the slightest, on top of the fact i dont think he's a good manager. Under Walter and Eck they created a fantastic buzz about Scotland. The vast majority of people were consumed with it and it re ignited alot of peoples passion for the national team. Burley is slowly undoing all of that.

Under Walter and Eck they created a fantastic buzz about Scotland. The vast majority of people were consumed with it and it re ignited alot of peoples passion for the national team. Burley is slowly undoing all of that.

It has now been undone my friend. Walter did for Scotland what he did for us when he came back. Made us hard to beat and we also got a few results. Eck continued Walter's methods. Burley? A joke. Completely. Vogts looks like a genious. Let's see... Who has left the national side...

McCulloch,

Boyd,

Fergie & McGregor -- ok banned -- but should not have been a life ban,

Weir -- Not selected? eh?

Not a bad side to start with -- and all of this under Burley's watch.

Because I'm Scottish, and I'm not going to be bullied or victimised by idiots who tell me that I can't support Scotand Just because I'm a Rangers fan, I'm proud to be scottish and support Scotland, even if the manager is a tosser and makes extremely bad decisions when selecting his team. As for the players and hating them, I don't really think that way when they are playing for Scotland, you just have to learn to keep club and country seperate.

Under Walter and Eck they created a fantastic buzz about Scotland. The vast majority of people were consumed with it and it re ignited alot of peoples passion for the national team. Burley is slowly undoing all of that.

It has now been undone my friend. Walter did for Scotland what he did for us when he came back. Made us hard to beat and we also got a few results. Eck continued Walter's methods. Burley? A joke. Completely. Vogts looks like a genious. Let's see... Who has left the national side...

McCulloch,

Boyd,

Fergie & McGregor -- ok banned -- but should not have been a life ban,

Weir -- Not selected? eh?

Not a bad side to start with -- and all of this under Burley's watch.

Good point. Scotland only really do well when we manage to put out a team made up of Old Firm players and players who play in the English top tier. That's not surprising really as in Scotland, only the Old Firm players ever play against top class opposition (in Europe). If you check the team Smith put together, it was almost completely composed of Old Firm and EPL players.

Burley has dismantled it and now puts out a team where half of the team is basically Championship standard. Add to that the fact that he's a crap coach anyway and tonight's result isn't exactly a surprise.

Why do I support Scotland? Purely and simply, because I'm Scottish.

Of course it can be painful, none more so than tonight, but you don't pick and choose your national team. I hate this artificial divide between Rangers and Scotland that a lot of people try to create. It's similar to the situation with Man U and England - all other club teams despise Man U as all other Scottish fans despise us but that doesn't mean we should stop supporting our country. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy isn't it?

The recent spats involving Rangers and Scotland have been false battles as well. Many, if not the majority, of Bears wanted to see Bazza and McGregor canned for the boozegate incident, and Kris Boyd is far from universally popular among Gers fans.

The flipside is - why not support Scotland? That would imply glory-hunting, which is not nice is it?