Next Scotland Manager?

MasterD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While reading this thread, I decided to look for a source listing the won-draw-loss records of the Scotland National Football Team managers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team

Keep scrolling down until you see the "Managers" section of this Wiki source.

From 1872 to 1954 and 1954 to 1958 the Scotland national team was appointed by a selection committee. Andy Beattie was manager for six matches in 1954 when Scotland competed at their first World Cup. After the tournament the selection committee resumed their duties, continuing until the appointment of Matt Busby in 1958.[99]

Statistically the most successful manager was Alex McLeish, who won seven of the ten games he took charge of. Discounting managers who have managed less than ten games, the least successful manager is the current manager George Burley, who was appointed on 23 January 2008 after leaving English Championship club Southampton.[100] He has only managed 2 wins in 10 matches, both of which came against Iceland.

Would you agree with the statement that Alex McLeish is the most successful manager, statistically speaking? George Burley evidently is the least successful manager.

I'd take Graeme Souness, Gordon Strachan or Craig Levein.

Did Souness not say recently that he wouldn't manage again? TBH after being passed over for Burley the last time you could hardly blame him for turning the job down if he was offered it in the future. I just wonder where all this leaves Gordon Smith

I'd take Graeme Souness, Gordon Strachan or Craig Levein.

Did Souness not say recently that he wouldn't manage again? TBH after being passed over for Burley the last time you could hardly blame him for turning the job down if he was offered it in the future. I just wonder where all this leaves Gordon Smith

yeah cos burley got the job and also because he found burley got picked ahead of him in the paper, no1 from the sfa even bothered 2 fone n tell him

Souness presumably didn't get the job first time round because the SFA believed that he would be too divisive and Gordon Smith didn't want to be seen to install the 3rd Rangers man in a row. I really can't believe that given a straight choice they would have chosen Burley over him

Can't believe John Collins has been touted here.

Fell out with a large chunk of the Hibs squad and caused a player revolt. Wasn't exactly a great success for them on the pitch either as I recall.

We need someone to galvanise the squad and install the togetherness of the Smith/McLeish teams. If we need everyone to take the huff with each other then Collins is your man.

I don't think that Burley is the greatest tbh but maybe we should show a bit more support here. I think that the ref should have red carded Carew and that would have had a whole different outlook on the game. Scotland looked ok prior to being reduced to 10 men imo.

I would go for Souness but there's no way the SFA would even think of employing him. They will either go for the cheap option in Craig Levein or Strachan. Any of those two would be a step up compared to Burley. Strachans got more top flight experience but Levein has got the ability to fashion a decent team together out of nothing

the reason souness never got the job last time is because he wouldn,t be a yes man to the sfa while the current sfa board stays the same souness will never get the job as he would tell the little hitlers where to go and sadly for scotland that means the best man won,t get the job