Walter admits 3 games in 7 days might be too much for Davie Weir

Boab

If Celtic go out of the Champions League I think we will bring in a centre back but only on loan.

In regards to Wilson (and other young players for that matter) I agree with the poster who said give them 15-20 mins when games are won. it's the only way they will learn as well as playing League Cup games I would happilly sacrafice the League Cup if it emans our young players are gaining experience.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know until he (Danny Wilson) is given a run out. What is the point in both Murray and Smith saying that youngsters are the way forward, then not giving them a game, or saying they will only feature on a number of occassions?

Danny Wilson should have featured in pre-season, he could have played the last 10-15 minutes against Falkirk at the weekend.

But once again they likes of Wilson, Shinnie....were ignored. Bar Weir, Bougherra and Broadfoot, Danny Wilson is our only other center back.

I agree with you there, but the team should be fit by now.

I daresay that they are all fit, no-one seemed lacking in any department whatsoever on Sunday.

But I try to look at things beyond the first team and I stand by my view that there's nothing wrong with giving the young lads a run out when the games are won to a) blood them and b) protect the starters from injury.

Fit and match fit can be two different things, i still think we are a game or two off being 100%.

You may be in for a long season if you think Walter is going to start doing that, especially at the back. Youmay see aaron etc getting a few later run outs but i don't see walter messing with his defence.

Lets hope we are enough goals up in enough games for this to be an issue..... ;)

That's the thing I don't get.

We were told - on a number of occasions this pre-season - that we were going to start giving the youth a game this year.

Now, a week into the season and Smith says that our best young CB is only good for 'one or two games' this year.

Is he lying? Was this just another PR move by the club?

I agree with you there, but the team should be fit by now.

I daresay that they are all fit, no-one seemed lacking in any department whatsoever on Sunday.

But I try to look at things beyond the first team and I stand by my view that there's nothing wrong with giving the young lads a run out when the games are won to a) blood them and b) protect the starters from injury.

Fit and match fit can be two different things, i still think we are a game or two off being 100%.

You may be in for a long season if you think Walter is going to start doing that, especially at the back. Youmay see aaron etc getting a few later run outs but i don't see walter messing with his defence.

Lets hope we are enough goals up in enough games for this to be an issue..... ;)

Generally, middle to front I'm pretty happy with what we have, so we could be a few goals up by the 80th minute in a few games this year :pipe:

League games are not the time to test if a 17 year old is good enough or not, we have a league to win....

And thats what holds us back...

No , that's what wins you leagues......

Ryan Giggs? Yes, Utd were 2nd that year but SAF knew he had to win the league...

The youth didn't get a run out in friendlys because it was more important to get our first team fitness back.

So we can't even afford to give them 20-25 minute run outs.

Come on now, every fucking team bar Rangers do it FFS :angry:

That's the thing I don't get.

We were told - on a number of occasions this pre-season - that we were going to start giving the youth a game this year.

Now, a week into the season and Smith says that our best young CB is only good for 'one or two games' this year.

Is he lying? Was this just another PR move by the club?

He didn’t say he was going to play Danny Wilson, we have a young squad and numbers have been depleted and young players have been brought into the first team squad. It’s the first game ffs, I am sure when injuries kick in we will indeed see some of these guys get a chance. Fleck stared on Saturday, playing in a position many have been waiting to see him play in…so how could smith possibly be accused of lying…..

The youth didn't get a run out in friendlys because it was more important to get our first team fitness back.

Just out if interest what young players have celtic being giving a run out in the last 20-25 minutes of games……

League games are not the time to test if a 17 year old is good enough or not, we have a league to win....

And thats what holds us back...

No , that's what wins you leagues......

Not even when you are 3/4-1 up at home?

Danny Wilson could easily have been given 20 minutes on Saturday, he would have strolled through it!

Just out if interest what young players have celtic being giving a run out in the last 20-25 minutes of games……

We are not talking about celtc here. It's Rangers we are on about!

F--k Celtic i have no interest in what the scum do. :)

They're the same as us, and it's one of their main frustrations as a fanbase from talking the the guys I know.

How about we look at Hibs?

They gave their young lads a chance and they took it. They took it so well that our club shelled out £4.5m on two of their players. That's not to mention the money we paid for Kenny Miller first time round from them.

Or how about Killie? They done the same and we've spent £2.4m on two of their players.

Dario Gradi at Crewe gave Bougherra a chance as a youngster and Villa did the same with Davis.

It can work.

We are not talking about celtc here. It's Rangers we are on about!

I thought that might be your answer as you invented your original statement about every team doing this.......

F--k Celtic i have no interest in what the scum do. :)

was lucky i didn't ask you the question then...... :pipe:

They're the same as us, and it's one of their main frustrations as a fanbase from talking the the guys I know.

How about we look at Hibs?

They gave their young lads a chance and they took it. They took it so well that our club shelled out £4.5m on two of their players. That's not to mention the money we paid for Kenny Miller first time round from them.

Or how about Killie? They done the same and we've spent £2.4m on two of their players.

Dario Gradi at Crewe gave Bougherra a chance as a youngster and Villa did the same with Davis.

It can work.

Hibs aren’t expected to or need to win every league game though. They bring on young players as they can’t afford to sign a first team squad. Our youth is as back up to a core of more experienced players, that’s the way it should be at a big club.

this is the youngest squad we had in my time of supporting rangers but Walter doesn't give youth a chance...it's hilarious.....

I was happy to see Fleck play, but I don't think he would have if Lafferty was fit.

and no wonder.....

?

Take it you weren't at the Man City game?

Lafferty was :anguish:

nope but lafferty has proved himself at first team level, something fleck has yet to do, and finished the season very well.

Well people who know a lot more than me or you say that you're only as good as your last game.

And going by their last two games at which I was in attendance, Fleck is first choice for that attacking left-sided role just now (tu)