Centre Half v Killie

Chambo

Little over Wilson?

Danny Wilson has more experience of playing in his proper role than Little has. Little is a striker, who has featured in midfield and at the back on a few occassions.

From seeing Danny Wilson playing with both Rangers and Scotland, he certainly doesn't get pushed about too easily and he'll certainly put his head and body in where it hurts.

I'd rather have a proper CB playing, than a make-shift one. He might not have the experience, but his positional sence, the way he reads the game, and having played that position throughout his short career, already makes him a better option.

You have also got Jordan McMillan who has played at centre half on a number of occassions - he's be a better option than Little.

I honestly do not like Lee McCulloch in there. He's not a defender, and, that is obvious to see.

McMillan is better at RB though isnt he?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little over Wilson?

Danny Wilson has more experience of playing in his proper role than Little has. Little is a striker, who has featured in midfield and at the back on a few occassions.

From seeing Danny Wilson playing with both Rangers and Scotland, he certainly doesn't get pushed about too easily and he'll certainly put his head and body in where it hurts.

I'd rather have a proper CB playing, than a make-shift one. He might not have the experience, but his positional sence, the way he reads the game, and having played that position throughout his short career, already makes him a better option.

You have also got Jordan McMillan who has played at centre half on a number of occassions - he's be a better option than Little.

I honestly do not like Lee McCulloch in there. He's not a defender, and, that is obvious to see.

Not sure of McMillan's fitness or whatever. He doesn't seem to have been in the picture much. He's basically not big enough to be an SPL centre-back. Right-back could be his best hope.

As for Little he has played centre-back at times and has the physical maturity. Not the ideal choice by any means but it would be a mistake to rush Wilson into the team (I wouldn't suggest he gets pushed around easily at under-19 level but the SPL is a very different matter).

I don't think we're rushing Wilson.

We've said this year that we're looking to play the young lads more, and away at a ground where we usually piss it, I think it's a perfect opportunity to give him some game time.

Sorry to keep harking back to it, but the decision to play Weir for the full 90 against Falkirk and Hamilton at home when the games were won after 60 and 30 minutes respectively has backfired now. Wilson should have had over an hour's worth first team football this year.

The reluctance to play youngsters is baffling. The majority of our squad would probably not be playing professional football had they come through the ranks with us; Naismith,Whittaker,Lafferty,Thomson, Boyd,Miller etc were first team regulars as teenagers.

The spl is not a quality and ultra competitive league; look at the points between 2nd and 3rd every season, it is a 2 team league. Bringing a couple of youngsters through every season should be a priority given our financial status, the only way to develop youth is to give them a chance in the first team especially now when we do not play competitive reserve games.

Little over Wilson?

Not sure of McMillan's fitness or whatever. He doesn't seem to have been in the picture much. He's basically not big enough to be an SPL centre-back. Right-back could be his best hope.

As for Little he has played centre-back at times and has the physical maturity. Not the ideal choice by any means but it would be a mistake to rush Wilson into the team (I wouldn't suggest he gets pushed around easily at under-19 level but the SPL is a very different matter).

Some of our current 1st team players get pushed around at times!

People who are worried about Wilson's lack of size (baffling, as he's a big lad!) aren't taking into account how good he is with the ball at his feet, how good he is positionally and how well he reads the game.

All three more than make up for any sort of lack of power he may or may not have.

Little over Wilson?

He is a very good right back but our reserve/youth coaches seem intent on shoehorning people in different positions; they have tried to convert McMillan into a left back and now central defender despite his lack of stature and physique- Little, a striker has been played at right back and centre half- Wylde a pacy tricky winger is now a left back, admittedly an easier transformation than most positions- Scott Durie seems to be played everywhere. Whether they are trying to mirror the first team set up where a striker can be a wide man or a midfielder or a centre half, I don't know.

People who are worried about Wilson's lack of size (baffling, as he's a big lad!) aren't taking into account how good he is with the ball at his feet, how good he is positionally and how well he reads the game.

All three more than make up for any sort of lack of power he may or may not have.

From the official site

WILSON, 17, is seen as being one of the brightest young prospects at Rangers and despite his tender age already trains regularly with Walter Smith's first-team squad.

A tall, left-sided central defender, Danny is a regular figure in Billy Kirkwood's under-19 side and captained the team that came so close to completing a third consecutive league and cup double in 2008/09.

other quotes

Rangers kids John Fleck and Daniel Wilson are attracting interest from Manchester United, Tottenham and Arsenal.

The Sun says the trio of English Premier League sides are preparing to swoop for Gers’ most promising prospects as the Ibrox cash crisis deepens.

Gers chief Sir David Murray has already made it clear one of Walter Smith’s big-name stars MUST be sold in this month’s transfer window.

Now the £2million-rated duo of midfielder-cum-striker Fleck and cultured centre-half Wilson could also go.

The Scotland youth aces — both 17 — have long been trailed by top English clubs.

Redknapp also confessed he’s been tracking 17-year-old Gers stopper Wilson, saying: “I’ve heard about Daniel.

“The name has been mentioned to me since I’ve been here.”

Hardly sounds like the type of player we should be concerned about throwing into a game against a lower SPL side?

Cannavaro isn't a big powerhouse but he seems to have just about coped at far higher,far more competitive quality and demanding leagues.

Little over Wilson?

He is a very good right back but our reserve/youth coaches seem intent on shoehorning people in different positions; they have tried to convert McMillan into a left back and now central defender despite his lack of stature and physique- Little, a striker has been played at right back and centre half- Wylde a pacy tricky winger is now a left back, admittedly an easier transformation than most positions- Scott Durie seems to be played everywhere. Whether they are trying to mirror the first team set up where a striker can be a wide man or a midfielder or a centre half, I don't know.

Aye, thats true. Little is decent enough at RB, but, far better up front. Wylde, I dont actually mind him LB or LM, he seems very comfortable in both positions, and, if he does come through as a LB, then, could be the best one we have had since Numan, given his passing ability, and forward runs

McMillan - Boughera - Wilson - Wylde

hehe (tu)

Having played CB for about 5 years and only being 5'9, I can tell you if you have a good spring and a bit of power you can play against big guys no problem. Wilson is over 6 foot and a fit young lad, he would be able to cope no problem physically. If he was having trouble with Kyle, put Weir or McCulloch on him. I'm not buying into this "he's not physically ready" pish.

2 options for me...One is play Papac at CB or give Wilson the role.

Can't believe it has come to this stage regarding Wilson though, Walter has had chances this season to put him on for a 15minute spell and ease him in with no pressure. Now the excuses are coming out that he's not experienced enough and we can't just fling him in.

There's no need to panic about getting Wilson in the team. Remember: he is just seventeen years old. There's a game against QOS in midweek - it would be good if he could get some game time in that less demanding, less important game.

Um? whats hard about Killie? Thats bread and butter for us

Seriously, if he cant play and cope against everyone outside the filth, whats the point in even mentioning him? Scrap the youths perhaps, since, they obviously arent good enough haha

No need to panic about the defence lads. If they score 4, we'll score 5 :pipe:

hahaha indeed

Then again, McGregor wont concede 4 (tu)

Good point (tu)

On the subject of the defence though, I see no reason not to bring Wilson in. What better place to learn his trade than to actually play in an away match like this where we'll be under a bit more pressure? How would he learn if he never plays in these games?

I suppose the obvious alternative is move Papac in to the centre and bring in either Smith or Wylde at LB.

There's no need to panic about getting Wilson in the team. Remember: he is just seventeen years old. There's a game against QOS in midweek - it would be good if he could get some game time in that less demanding, less important game.

Seriously, if he cant play and cope against everyone outside the filth, whats the point in even mentioning him? Scrap the youths perhaps, since, they obviously arent good enough haha

I hope you're right about Killie but sadly we didn't exactly blow Motherwell away (even when we had 11 men on the park) and they're no world-beaters. It's obvious that a League Cup tie against QOS is a more favourable situation to blood a 17-year-old. Hopefully Weir will be fit for tomorrow anyway.

I hope you're right about Killie but sadly we didn't exactly blow Motherwell away (even when we had 11 men on the park) and they're no world-beaters. It's obvious that a League Cup tie against QOS is a more favourable situation to blood a 17-year-old. Hopefully Weir will be fit for tomorrow anyway.

Oh I know we didnt, but, they also played a bunch of young, basically inexperienced players, with a point to prove/impact to make. Now, they also did this in their biggest game of the season, at home to us. We should be doing the same, but, thats just my view mate. I like a few of our youngsters (not in the bheast way haha) and hope to see more of them this season on the pitch. If we can get 3 or 4 of them on, such as Wilson, Wylde, Little and Fleck (maybe?) and they hit the ground running, how much will that save us? plus, how much pressure does it take off in regard to injuries.