Youngsters should be given a chance

minstral

Youngsters should be given a chance to prove themselves, People say that Walter sees them every day and that they cant be good enough, but you dont really know unless you play them and give them a chance.

Years ago we had young players like Ralph Brand, Eric Caldow who was committed to Rangers as a schoolboy. Also Ian Durrant and Barry who Walter was reluctant to play.

We also had John Greig, Sandy Jardine, and Willie Henderson in the Rangers team when he was 17 and played for Scotland at the age of 18. Also Derek Johnstone who scored the winning goal at the age of 16 against Celtic in the cup final.

We then had Ron McKinnon, Bobby Shearer, and 2 of our famous players Willie Thornton and Willie Waddell, who played at the ages of 16 and 15 years old. There is more players you could name, but in my opinion you have to take a chance and play them, for at the moment what have we got to lose when you see some of the present side.

There is no doubt that in the likes of the qos/motherwell/kilmarnock games we should have played youngsters then maybe we would have had more than 14 fit players for tomorrow nights game because thats the sum and substance of it no matter what the official text says ! :sherlock:

Youngsters should be given a chance to prove themselves, People say that Walter sees them every day and that they cant be good enough, but you dont really know unless you play them and give them a chance.

Years ago we had young players like Ralph Brand, Eric Caldow who was committed to Rangers as a schoolboy. Also Ian Durrant and Barry who Walter was reluctant to play.

We also had John Greig, Sandy Jardine, and Willie Henderson in the Rangers team when he was 17 and played for Scotland at the age of 18. Also Derek Johnstone who scored the winning goal at the age of 16 against Celtic in the cup final.

We then had Ron McKinnon, Bobby Shearer, and 2 of our famous players Willie Thornton and Willie Waddell, who played at the ages of 16 and 15 years old. There is more players you could name, but in my opinion you have to take a chance and play them, for at the moment what have we got to lose when you see some of the present side.

It seems amazing they played so young back then, but is it amazing? No, this is the way it was back then and its only in recent years this 'wrap them up in cotton wool' attitude came into play. It helps no-one, not the players and not the club.

Get them played. Not all at once, but introduce them all and see who takes their chance. Some wont, but some definately will.

Yep.

It's absolutely impossible to guage exactly how a youth player will play when moved up to 1st team level. Look at Hutton, Ferguson, McGregor etc - their game improved 20%-30% overnight.

Having the manager's faith and confidence, added to the buzz of playing in front of 50,000 people at Ibrox would add a lot to anyone's game.

Christ, even Chris Burke got us off our seats for a while when he broke through.

When it comes to youth development, people that know a hell of a lot more about it than myself (and Walter) such as Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Danny Blind and Cruyff have all said that a player MUST be given a chance with the first team before any decision is made, due to the reasons I've mentioned above.

As I said in outlaw's thread, either Smith isn't playing the players solely based on age, or our £14m training complex is a total white elephant in terms of youth development - one of it's primary remits.

as i said in outlaws thread lads, the club CANNOT afford to give youth a chance, due to the financial constraints

we need to win things to get prize money, better sponsership money etc,

also most if not all the youths will have a first team bonus built into their contracts, knowing a gers youth myself it was actually quite high, in the hope that it pushes these guys harder to get into the first team

but if smith was to play 6 or 7 youths in 1 game, we could end up paying out alot more money in terms of first team bonuses etc, and if we were to actually win, theres more bonuses to be paid out etc etc

to me it all comes down to finances,

My view:

For me, Wednesday shows exactly not that Walter Smith isn’t like Arsene Wenger in transforming a whole team for the cup games – I said early on that I was advocating a mixture of youth and experience, not a revolution - but instead more importantly the hesitant side of Walter Smith who finds it very to select and place faith in youth and arguably to make the wrong decision when making changes or if at all – our Manager is far too safe in my opinion.

Our Manager I think won’t really change even with the admission that we will have a smaller squad from now on, and going by his 1st and 2nd spells at Rangers, he would rather play forwards at the back, centre backs at full-back, or full-backs in there unaccustomed side of the pitch than give a promising under 21 player a start or a chance.

We didn’t even, at the very least, have any under 21s on the bench in Dumfries.

If I was able to be a Footballer, I honestly think I’d want to choose proving myself somewhere else in Scotland as a teenager or young player than work my way up under the present management and hope to be noticed and bought for the Rangers.

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php/a...een-youth-night

I agree with Minstral though.

Nowadays the nutrition and physique of 16 year olds is so much better than their equivalents in the 50's and 60's so there should be no reason for the cotton wool mentality, only a reluctance to take a chance.

My view:

For me, Wednesday shows exactly not that Walter Smith isn’t like Arsene Wenger in transforming a whole team for the cup games – I said early on that I was advocating a mixture of youth and experience, not a revolution - but instead more importantly the hesitant side of Walter Smith who finds it very to select and place faith in youth and arguably to make the wrong decision when making changes or if at all – our Manager is far too safe in my opinion.

Our Manager I think won’t really change even with the admission that we will have a smaller squad from now on, and going by his 1st and 2nd spells at Rangers, he would rather play forwards at the back, centre backs at full-back, or full-backs in there unaccustomed side of the pitch than give a promising under 21 player a start or a chance.

If I was able to be a Footballer, I honestly think I’d want to choose proving myself somewhere else in Scotland as a teenager or young player than work my way up under the present management and hope to be noticed and bought for the Rangers.

Great article, Boab, an interesting read.

We have a small squad and we need to utilize it to the full which means playing younger players now and again. Two should have played vs QoS and then the team would have been fresher going forward. Now Weir will have played a lot of games and must play vs Seville and Celtic. The team look jaded already and we have big games coming up. Reminds of two seasons ago when WS failed to play all his players and we lost the title on the last day.

Also Ian Durrant and Barry who Walter was reluctant to play.

Minstral are you saying Walter was reluctant to play Durrant?

I'm pretty sure Jock Wallace gave him his chance in the first team - Walter didn't take over till a couple of years after the injury.

Also Ian Durrant and Barry who Walter was reluctant to play.

Minstral are you saying Walter was reluctant to play Durrant?

I'm pretty sure Jock Wallace gave him his chance in the first team - Walter didn't take over till a couple of years after the injury.

It was Jock Wallace. Durrant made his debut against Greenock Morton in April 1985.

Could you just imagine Rothen whipping in a fantastic cross and for a youngster like Little to throw himself at the ball and score

I love the attitude of our youngsters when they play, no fear, never say die

Thats why some may find it hard to believe but last season our U19s and reserves were at times playing a lot better football than the 1st team

They should have came on first game of the season when they game was over. Some should have been given a game on Wed against Qos. I find it embarrassing that none where on Wed. Smith can say all he wants but he will not give youth a chance(8 minutes against Aberdeen doesnt justify a chance)

My view:

Great article, Boab, an interesting read.

Thanks Doc.

And if the youths had lost to QOTS?

All if's and but's.

There was absolutely no need for the likes of Weir, Whittaker and Papac to be playing last Wednesday - they were knackered after the weekend game.

Killie, Motherwell and Aberdeen manage to field a few youths and take points off us, you see the little bit of spark it gives the team. Are our youngsters any worse than theirs, or any of the 1st team players at this moment in time? Our manager is complaining about a thin squad, yet fails to replace a few players. Now we have 14 first team players (at this moment in time) for the visit of Sevilla - with celtc next in the SPL.

If Papac and Smith don't make it on Tuesday, we may have to play a youngster - or will the manager shoehorn a first team player into a position they have never played in?

Then they would have lost, but, I dont think they would have.

Then again, the first team could easily have lost, whichh would have been worse?

The development of youth players was more important than a 1 off game against QoS

All if's and but's.

There was absolutely no need for the likes of Weir, Whittaker and Papac to be playing last Wednesday - they were knackered after the weekend game.

Killie, Motherwell and Aberdeen manage to field a few youths and take points off us, you see the little bit of spark it gives the team. Are our youngsters any worse than theirs, or any of the 1st team players at this moment in time? Our manager is complaining about a thin squad, yet fails to replace a few players. Now we have 14 first team players (at this moment in time) for the visit of Sevilla - with celtc next in the SPL.

If Papac and Smith don't make it on Tuesday, we may have to play a youngster - or will the manager shoehorn a first team player into a position they have never played in?

Exactly the reason youngsters should have been given game time in the first team before now; but looking to the future and the wider aspects of club management have never featured in the mindset of our manager.

We should we aiming to win every competition we compete in, but this season we have a paper thin squad, a season that we were going to have to rely on youth at some point/blood them in. That should have been last Wednesday, now not a full team of youths, but a few should have started/played.

The Cooperative Cup is our least imprortant cup this season.

They could have. They couldn't have. Now I am not saying play 11 youths. I am saying play 2-3 at the most mixed with the experience of Boughie, Alexander, Papac. Davis, Thomson etc. If a youth isn't better than McCulloch then he should really give up football.