Stephen Ireland

papaguy51

Stephen Ireland has ruled out a return to international football, even if the Republic of Ireland qualify for next summer's World Cup, calling national team coach Giovanni Trapattoni "arrogant".

The Manchester City midfielder has not played for his country for nearly two years in what has been a self-imposed exclusion from international duty.

Ireland infamously lied about the deaths of two grandmothers to avoid international duty, but explained that he never enjoyed travelling with the Ireland squad, and blamed Trapattoni's perceived cockiness for exacerbating the situation.

"Even with the prospect of the World Cup, it hasn't crossed my mind once about going back," said Ireland to The Daily Mirror. "I never felt part of the squad and I never will.

"I met Trapattoni for a chat at a hotel near Manchester Airport last year but that did nothing for me.

"It made no sense whatsoever. In fact, I felt like there was a lot of arrogance going on, so I just felt like I wasn't really interested.

"Me and my financial adviser, who's looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni, his right-hand man and Liam Brady.

"In the middle of chatting, like we are now, he'd have four different phones going off and he kept leaving the room to talk to people.

"He'd come back, say 'sorry where was I?' but then another one would go off and after the third of fourth time this happened, I heard another phone ringing.

"Trapattoni went over to where the phone was ringing and got it out of one of his bags. We were just sat there like, 'what is going on?'.

"After that we had a chat and, I guess he shouldn't have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me, and he just never really did that.

"I think he felt like I'd just want to come running back, because I think at the time he didn't rate me as a player.

"But that was before last season. Since then he hasn't spoken to me once. Then, over the summer, Ireland had a game away against Bulgaria.

"A week before that game I was in my garden, playing with the kids. I answered my phone by accident, as I was checking the time, and it was Trapattoni.

"He asked me if there was a possibility of meeting up in the future. I hadn't given it any thought, but I said guess there was no harm in meeting him."

Ireland said he felt that the Italian manager was merely keeping in touch with him so that he could keep up appearances in front of the media.

He continued: "I thought he meant in the next few days, for the Bulgaria game. I said 'when?' and he said 'four months'. I thought that was weird, but I said I suppose it wouldn't do any harm.

"But I think he made that call for his own benefit, rather than mine, because he said to me 'Is it okay if I tell the press I've spoken to you and there's a chance of you coming back?'.

"I said 'you can tell people we've spoken and maybe we'll meet up in the future, but don't say there's a chance of me coming back because there probably isn't'.

"As soon as he switched from talking about meeting up with me to announcing it to the media, I knew what his agenda was."

Ireland admitted that he had reported for international duty out of obligation.

He explained: "[Former Ireland manager] Steve Staunton called me up, and I'd just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking 'what am I doing here?'.

"There were times I'd finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin.

"I'd just ring up and say I don't feel well. There was nothing wrong with me, I just had no intention of ever going. I just never enjoyed it.

"I know fans will say 'well every other player does it', and that's fine, fair play. But I'm not bothered.

"A lot of the lads here at City didn't think I'd stand by my decision not to play for Ireland and I was like 'told you so'."

Ireland admitted he still watches his country on television whenever they play, but said he felt so removed from the international scene it is as if he was never involved.

"When I watch Ireland games it's weird," he said. "It's like I was never there and I don't miss it all if I'm honest.

"People forget that I only played six games. I just seem to be into the routine and the mindset that when the international break comes around, I'm not there.

"I love being able to do things with my kids. During the last international break they were about to start school, so it was nice to take them away for a few days.

"When the international break comes around it's like 'great, what am I doing with the kids', not 'oh I hope I'm not in the squad'.

"A lot of people would probably think I'd love to go to the World Cup, but to be honest it hasn't really crossed my mind once.

"I hope they get there, it would be great for the country if they did. It would be a massive achievement for the manager and the players."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1646/wcq-2010-...out-republic-of

This has always made me wonder what's going on with him.

He must regret not being able to play in the World Cup - the pinnacle of a footballer's career surely?

Good on him, he realises there is more to life than kicking a ball around for people that generally abuse you unless your playing for your country and even then your not safe from abuse, he has a young family and a wife to consider and obv he sees that his Family are more important than a game of football.

Fair play to you Mr Ireland :praise:

This has always made me wonder what's going on with him.

He must regret not being able to play in the World Cup - the pinnacle of a footballer's career surely?

He has said before that while it's an honour to play for your country and he made a mistake lying about the dead granny, he feels he owes more to do well for Man City in the meantime and see what happens in the future. Man City took him on as a teenager suffering from Osgood-Schlatter disease and he had trouble even jogging, they've saw him through that and gave him regular first team football etc, where as Ireland have messed him about and there were accusations of bullying and other stuff when he had that daft thing with the wig, some other Irish players held him down and ripped his wig off him. On top of this he got heaps of abuse and letters from Irish fans when he walked out on the squad and it turned out his gran wasn't dead and it's only since they realised he's a decent player that there has been any kind of change in attitude towards him.

Basically, he's a fanny for lying about why he walked out of the squad in the first place, but completely right to fuck them off for now. He says he feels he owes City alot for what they've done for him and he wants to be like Keane was for United, and play most of his career there and win things with City if they can, which to me is a great attitude in a player.

Did he not walk out the first time because his wife had a miscarriage?

Yeah his wife had a miscarriage and not being the brightest guy about, Ireland just said the first thing that came into his head so he could fly back to Manchester to be with her. Then a few days later when it emerged his gran wasn't dead he start getting loads of abuse from fans, took a while for it to come out about the miscarriage cause he wanted to keep it a private matter.

i think Stephen Ireland is a spot on lad and an awesome player and should have been shown a bit more respect than what i have just read in that article.....

He's a tremendous player and sounds like one of the more intelligent footballers around whenever I've heard him interviewed.

He clearly has had a bad experience with the national team and if he'd rather spend time with his family then good on the lad. He has his priorities right.

Ireland is Superman!!! I love the guys honesty. If u dont fancy playin international football and want to spend time with your wife and kids whats the problem plus it sounds like Trappatoni is a total knob and the IFA have never been known for being the most respected football association have they. Someone also said it would seem he has lost his passion for the game. Watch Man City every week, he is the heart and soul of their team and the most passionate player they probably have!!!

He's a bit of a zoomer, apparently, cruising around in a black X5 with bright pink rims.

I'm sure it was him who was in a rag earlier this week, too. He spent something like £300K on a Bentley for his Mrs' birthday and had everything personalised from the head rest to swapping the traditional Bentley 'B' for her initials. He also dresses like a goon, from what I seen.

Regarding his footballing ability, I couldn't care less. This post was a personal attack on Stephen Ireland. Nothing more, nothing less.

He's a bit of a zoomer, apparently, cruising around in a black X5 with bright pink rims.

I'm sure it was him who was in a rag earlier this week, too. He spent something like £300K on a Bentley for his Mrs' birthday and had everything personalised from the head rest to swapping the traditional Bentley 'B' for her initials. He also dresses like a goon, from what I seen.

Regarding his footballing ability, I couldn't care less. This post was a personal attack on Stephen Ireland. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm pretty sure that was David Bentley.

*Has a search*

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/53299...lash-motor.html

*Has a search*

Yip Stephen Ireland!! doh

I like him as a player.

If he doesn't feel at home in the Ireland squad then why should he play? Fair play to him! (tu)

*Has a search*

I like him as a player.

If he doesn't feel at home in the Ireland squad then why should he play? Fair play to him! (tu)

doh

doh

doh

*Has a search*

I like him as a player.

doh

doh

doh

:lol:

The headline bamboozled you!

*Has a search*

That is Stephen Ireland. The car is a Bentley.