Missed opportunities

nvager

McLeish has been handed 40m for new players and his new owner is saying how they hope to expand the support over in China. Celtic had success with Nakamura and brought support for the team in Japan and now are doinga similar thing with their new Chinese player - the captain of China.

Rangers do not seem to think big commercially. The JJB thing makes it difficult for fans to obtain goods and the severe under marketing of Rangers in N America is ridiculous given we have Edu and Beasley. We have Bougherra a great player but could we not sign one of his talented team mates too and use them to advertise Rangers in the whole Middle East?

We could use Mendes and Papac too to front campaigns in their countries too.

Is this not what we should be doing?

Should we not be looking into developing countries with large populations? India, China, Middle East and looking for stars and promote Rangers there? Similarly Japan and N America.

Instead we have JJB.

Seems such a waste.

I think the whole Celtic/Japan thing is a tad overblown, I'm not sure if it was as financially successful as they liked to claim.

I do not know, but at least it shows forward thinking. We seem to be hemmed in and never outward looking in our ventures. We now have a much better Rangers TV - at least the Rangers Live quality is now much better - so maybe we could expand on that and promote things better to a wider audience.

I think the whole Celtic/Japan thing is a tad overblown, I'm not sure if it was as financially successful as they liked to claim.

I do not know, but at least it shows forward thinking. We seem to be hemmed in and never outward looking in our ventures. We now have a much better Rangers TV - at least the Rangers Live quality is now much better - so maybe we could expand on that and promote things better to a wider audience.

True, and there is alot more that Rangers could be doing in NA to promote the brand. You can walk into most sporting goods stores here and find Celtc crap, and about the only chance you would have of getting Rangers gear is to order it online from Britain

We have Bougherra a great player but could we not sign one of his talented team mates too and use them to advertise Rangers in the whole Middle East?

Geography not your strong point then...

We have Bougherra a great player but could we not sign one of his talented team mates too and use them to advertise Rangers in the whole Middle East?

Geography not your strong point then...

Muslim countries etc. Should have added N Africa and M.E . Too quick to jump in as usual, Danny, but hey you could not resist.

Football is an expanding market in Japan and has been catalysed by the 2002 world cup. I think there's money to be made by getting in early.

Maurice Edu's should be the face of a marketing drive in the US. We could easily make back his transfer fee and then some if we had a bit of sense.

Maurice Edu's should be the face of a marketing drive in the US. We could easily make back his transfer fee and then some if we had a bit of sense.

it is ridiculous the lack of marketing in the US

I simply don't know enough about this subject, but isn't it a bit like flogging a dead horse trying to promote Soccer in the US?? I know it's more popular now than ever, but it's never going to be the cash cow that say, Basketball & US Football is. For one thing, the MLS don't seem to allow mega deals to go through (I know Beckham signed for stupid money but that's turning out to be a major flop).

As I say, I don't know a lot about it, but it just seems on the face of things that the states simply isn't the gold mine we think it might be! I think we'd be far better tapping into the Russian/Asian markets! (tu)

The very least Rangers could do is organize friendlies next season over here. Teams like Arsenal and Tottenham have gone a step further and linked up with MLS clubs to expand their brands over here.

And it's not just the "sexy" clubs like Man Utd and Madrid that people follow, I've met countless Fulham supporters because they not only have had several US internationals but they've played a good number of friendly matches here.

McLeish has been handed 40m for new players and his new owner is saying how they hope to expand the support over in China. Celtic had success with Nakamura and brought support for the team in Japan and now are doinga similar thing with their new Chinese player - the captain of China.

Rangers do not seem to think big commercially. The JJB thing makes it difficult for fans to obtain goods and the severe under marketing of Rangers in N America is ridiculous given we have Edu and Beasley. We have Bougherra a great player but could we not sign one of his talented team mates too and use them to advertise Rangers in the whole Middle East?

Should we not be looking into developing countries with large populations? India, China, Middle East and looking for stars and promote Rangers there? Similarly Japan and N America.

Instead we have JJB.

Seems such a waste.

You are spot on with your points.

I think that is part of the reason that Alistair Jonston was appointed as chair though as he, more thanany other person at the club, has c=the best contacts and methods of promoting usin the hope of securing a new buyer.

The very least Rangers could do is organize friendlies next season over here. Teams like Arsenal and Tottenham have gone a step further and linked up with MLS clubs to expand their brands over here.

And it's not just the "sexy" clubs like Man Utd and Madrid that people follow, I've met countless Fulham supporters because they not only have had several US internationals but they've played a good number of friendly matches here.

Agreed. Should not be difficult to play say 2 or 3 MLS clubs on a tour and sell the name Rangers big in the US.

Instead we have JJB.

Seems such a waste.

completely agree...our marketing is a disgrace

If EA Sports use him, then, seemsilly that we havent, unless they were hoping the EA part would do it?

Why is it when we are in financial difficulties that instead of opening our club to new large markets we instead seem to retreat inside of Ibrox and bring down the shutters. Even a Dean Furman and Gil Blumstein signing could help us promote Rangers in SA and Israel?

Didn't we have a link up with some Chinese club? What happened to that?

That post got ignored, yes we did, on the face of it a waste of time, Schetzen or something like that they were called.If there were any fantastic spin offs they were off my radar, if you think the chinks,japs,yanks , canadians etc will be tripping over themselves to buy Rangers gear imo your way off the mark, why would they?

Of course there are little pockets of bears worldwide that would buy bits, i'm sure the chairman of our club has done his calcs and weighed up the options, you dont reach the highest echelons of business as he has done by being a mug.