Walter mentions the younger players/in regards to Dundee

Boab

Official text: 17 year old defender Danny Wilson to make competitive debut against Dundee. Walter Smith admits other youngsters could join him in the team.

(tu) Hopefully a step in the right direction.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news (tu)

Let's hope Fleck, Loy, Wylde, McMillan are given a run out as well.

i'm with ya on that one man.

out of interest, what kinda money can be made in this competition ?

seeing as we only have to play 4 games to win it

Superb news. Well done Walter Smith.

Could have easily decided on not giving the likes of Wilson a game, even with the injuries.

Hopefully he takes his chance, and contributes to a winning result.

WALTER SMITH has confirmed that 17-year-old Danny Wilson will make his competitive first-team debut against Dundee - and he hinted that other youngsters could also be named in his starting eleven.

Wilson has been tipped for the top for some time and trains regularly with Rangers' senior players despite being eligible for Billy Kirkwood's under-19s.

Fans got a brief opportunity to see the Livingston-born centre-half in action in a friendly against Portsmouth in the summer but featuring at Dens Park will be the biggest moment of his promising career.

With injuries mounting Smith will have no hesitation in playing the talented teen against the current First Division league leaders and it's easy to see why.

At over six feet in height and with a cultured left-foot he has all the attributes needed in the modern game and the gaffer is hoping he can grasp the opportunity with both hands.

He said: "We do have a number of injuries right now so tomorrow night's game is a chance for some of our younger players to get a start.

"Sometimes good things come out of these situations and if we can get one or two in to the team that will be a great experience for them.

"Danny Wilson will get a game for us.

"He is a central defender and maybe another one or two might also play, we will look at that this afternoon.

"But we look forward to Danny getting an opportunity.

"He is a good player but it will be a tough baptism for him tomorrow night."

Although it has yet to be confirmed it is expected that John Fleck will also be named in the team to face Jocky Scott's men with Gregg Wylde and Jordan McMillan also in with a chance of featuring in the League Cup fourth round tie.

Smith will look at his options with his coaching staff this afternoon but hopes that several of his experienced players will return from injury soon and bolster his depleted squad.

He added: "Lee McCulloch, I think, will be out for a couple of weeks while Kevin (Thomson) will miss the game against Dundee also but should be ok for the weekend.

"There is a possibility Madjid might be fit for our Champions League game a week on Wednesday, I don't think we will get him back before then.

"But both Mo and Kirk are just about ready to come back now. Mo had to have an injection on a bit of ligament damage he had and is back in to his rehabilitation today.

"I would hope that by the end of this week both will be back in to full training and from there it will be a case of trying to get them games.

"Kirk, in particular, has been out for a long time and it will take him a few weeks to get up to speed."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,5,00.html

THANK FUCK.

I just hope no-one jumps on the young guy if he has a poor game

My big worry mate.

The usual suspects on here will be on his back from the word go if he makes a mistake, insisting that Lee McCulloch is the better option.

He's clearly not and an iffy debut from Wilson, should it happen, will not change my mind.

Whatever happens tomorrow, Danny will learn a hundred times more from 90 minutes of 1st team action than he will in four or five months of youth matches.

Sadly, for one reason or another, even if he puts in a good performance, he'll still be 3rd/4th choice as soon as McCulloch is back.

about time too. Just a shame its taken lee mcculloch to get injured just to give him a chance. He should have been playing ahead of mcculloch every time. Hopefully he does well and gets a few games in the league as well. If hes good enough hes old enough. I'd rather have a inexperienced natural defender playing than lee mcculloch, hes a disaster waiting to happen at centre back( and the disaster did happen last week in the CL)

Great, he gets a game when its no on telly :(

Then why not go to the game?

Live in Carluke its a treck on the bus plus have college on the Wednesday.

I'm in Glasgow and have Uni on Wednesday morning, so its do-able. Its less than 2 hours to get there, hardly a trek. Still its up to you mate.