McCoist Ready If Smith Quits Gers

BlueSuedeSambas

Ally McCoist wants to manage Rangers if Walter Smith steps down when his contract expires in January. The Ibrox assistant also insisted he did not know when his own deal was due to end - although it is widely believed to be aligned with Smith's.

As the debt-ridden club seek a new owner, contract extensions and transfer dealings are on hold at Ibrox.

"It would be a dream to remain involved if Walter decides to move on at the end of his contract," said McCoist.

Smith, 61, has indicated that he would be content to carry on without a contract until the end of the season and McCoist insists that he would love to see his mentor remain in charge of team affairs.

However, Smith has also warned that any takeover could end his reign at the Glasgow giants.

"Myself and Walter are in the same boat as the players in that we don't exactly know what's going to happen in the immediate future," McCoist added.

"The most important thing is the club and it needs stability. The club is up for sale and an ideal situation - and I speak as a fan as well as an employee - is the person who comes in is someone who has Rangers' best interests at heart.

"If that happens then no-one will be happier than me and Walter Smith."

Smith returned for his second spell at the Ibrox helm in January 2007, bringing former Rangers striker McCoist with him after their stint together with Scotland.

McCoist, 47, has been groomed to succeed Smith but was not expected to be in a position to step up quite so soon.

"I have grown up with Rangers and it would be fantastic to manage the club," he said. "I don't want to go anywhere, I am happy where I am.

"Circumstances are not ideal at the moment but if they change and the people in charge still want me at Ibrox then I will be there.

"I have to stress, the future of the club is more important than everything else. If the club is stable, anything is possible after that."

Asked if he had discussed taking over at the start of next year, McCoist added: "I haven't and the reason I haven't is because I do not know what is happening and I am being honest about that.

"But I will say that managing Rangers would be absolutely wonderful. If it happens, fantastic. If it doesn't, we move on and move on in the hope that Rangers' future is solid." On the subject of his own terms, he said: "I promise this, I do not know when my contract ends. I am brutally honest about that and I do not say that in a flippant manner.

"The reason why I do not know is because it's not something I really concern myself about. Rangers is more important than me or any individual and Rangers' welfare is my only concern."

McCoist may be ready to step into the Ibrox hot-seat but his former Rangers and Scotland team-mate Andy Goram believes he will have to wait a little longer.

"Walter won't walk away, no matter how bad it gets," Goram told BBC Scotland.

''Walter is leading from the front - when no one else is and is doing a great job. The team aren't playing well but they are in a cup semi-final and just a point off the lead in the SPL.

''When he took over Rangers were 21 points behind Celtic and he's gone on to win two doubles and reach the Uefa Cup final."

Please don't go Smith.

One of my favourite songs growing up.

Also, we don't really know if Ally will be a good Manager or not as various assistants have stepped up to be very good but my main concern is spoiling his hero status, with more more than anybody else!

I idolised him as a youngster.

if walter goes, i want ally, he deserves his chance.

based on what?

he took a paycut just to take the assistant job, thats shows a man of integrity to me, learned day in day out what it is like to me in the management team at a big club, knows what all the players are like and maybe he has his own ideas how to manage rangers. time will tell.

With our current lack of readies, paying compensation to a club for a decent manager would affect our megre tranfer kitty. I would be in favour of McCoist stepping up as he is the right age, served his apprenticeship well under Smith and has been picking the sides for the cup games, and lets be honest, we've done quite well in the cups since Walter and Ally came back. I remember when Souness went to Liverpool, there was not a lot in favour of Smith stepping up as he had no managerial experience, but he done not bad since then.

McCoist actually does play players in their actual position.

He could do a good job perhaps.

All the people shouting Walter out etc, will regret it if he leaves IMO. He's a good manager.

He has always liked to play some youngsters in the games he has been in charge of too.

If he is willing to step up to the plate then I say let him have a shot at it

I dont think it will be a disaster if he was given the chance as he knows Rangers inside-out, and already is aware of what each player is capable of

Watching him a few weeks ago in the dug-out shouting and bawling at some of the players, it made me wonder if maybe he has the knowledge and personality to become a success

Its always a huge risk having someone as manager at a club the size or Rangers who has no experience, but I would make the exception for McCoist, given that the circumstances we find ourselves in is unique

No thanks, we need to go in a completely new direction.

Exactly the way I feel.

If he's served his managerial apprenticeship under WS, he will be much the same.

Full new management and coaching structure is what's required.

Coaching staff who do ball control and set pieces in training and not just running around and throwing buckets of water over each other cause it's a laugh.