***The Official Unirea Urziceni v Rangers Thread***

Muff

Smith will be making a big rod for his back if McCulloch comes in and we lose.

Our football in possession has improved about 400% since he got injured against Hibs.

Wilson is now, in my eyes at least, firmly above him in the pecking order.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers sit bottom of Group G with one point from three matches while Unirea have four so a draw next week would maintain a three-point disparity.

That would leave Rangers having to secure four points from their remaining two matches - Stuttgart (h) and Sevilla (a) - while hoping that Unirea lose both of theirs - Sevilla (h) and Stuttgart (a).

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/article...2254024_1845145

I can see no reason why Walter will change his usual outlook and tactics. Therefore I expect to see the tortoise like M'Culloch and Rothen in the side and the team to keep it tight for 70 minutes or so and then leave us only 20 minutes to try and win the game.

Mind you we may well be 3 goals down by then judging by our recent performances.

Walter I ask one thing only from you and if it doesn't work at least we can feel satisfied we gave ourselves the best possible chance. HAVE A GO FROM THE KICK OFF PLEASE...

Can't see Walter going with anything else other than 4-5-1. But if he does that then he has got to have two wide players with pace who can break quickly. It's no good playing Rothen there he has no pace to get by people and his defensive work is frankly abysmal. It's bad enough when our two full backs can't keep cross balls from coming into our box without some useless French diddy not tracking his man

Cos of all that's been going on, game tomorrow is Massive!

Back from Glasgow last night. Mates up there all seem pretty confident. More so than me tbh; this is after the (First half) of the Dundee game, which I did not attend, they seem to think the teams crossed some sort of line.

Hope so.

0-1 on that basis.

McGregor

Whittaker Weir Wilson Papac

McCulloch

Novo Davis Thomson Naismith

Miller

Anyone think we could see that?

If we are going 4-5-1 that's as good a line-up as we could hope for. Either that or we get shot of McCulloch and put Thomson back into the holding role and put Fleck into centre midfield

anything less than a win and its game over for us, and personally i cant see anything but another comfortable Unirea win.

you never know though, if we can actually get on the ball and keep hold of it then we might get something.

WALTER SMITH expects his team to continue their recovery from the last meeting with Unirea Urziceni when they face the Romanian champions in Bucharest tomorrow night.

The Rangers boss was hugely disappointed with his side's performance as they went down 4-1 to Dan Petrescu's upcoming outfit.

And now he expects the positive reaction he has had from his squad to still be on display in the Ghencea Stadium.

He said: "Sometimes when you get a result like that it can be a bit of a catalyst for you and that seems to have been the case for us.

"It was a terrible result for us and it was also a really disappointing performance over all.

"If you look at the same scoreline against Sevilla, while we were equally disappointed with the end result we still had an hour of the game where I felt we played exceptionally well.

"We didn't have that against Unirea and we have to give them a bit of credit - I fell having watched the game a couple of times since that they put a lot in to the match and played very well in spells.

"So we have to continue to show a reaction to that when we play again and hopefully with the little bit of dented pride that we've had we can hit back."

Smith will again be without key central defender Madjid Bougherra on Matchday Four of the Champions League, but is happy to welcome Lee McCulloch back to his squad.

He added: "Losing Madjid has been a blow, but we have to cope with that and it is good to have Lee back in the group.

"He was touch and go for the game at Tannadice and we didn't want to take a chance with him, but he is back with the squad and provides options in defence again."

Any addition to the squad is a welcome boost for the Rangers boss, who describes the first outing against Unirea as among the worst displays his side has produced in his second spell as Gers boss.

And with a victory in Romania likely to provide a real chance for Rangers to progress in the competition, Smith has plenty to be positive about.

He said: "I don't think there's any doubt that we can play better than we did. I think anyone who saw the game would say it is one of the poorest performances we've had since I came back to Rangers.

"I said after the game the first game that it is hard to assess whether you can qualify from a group after a result like that.

"Once the dust settles and you look at the table you can see that we still have an opportunity but we will only have that chance if we can play really well in Romania.

"The opportunity will still be there if we can go there and win the game but doing that away from home in the Champions League is a difficult thing in itself.

"But we have done it before and I'm hopeful that we can raise our game and do it again."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/article...2254024_1845778

"I have bet we do not get any more points," Petrescu said. "Romanian teams always do this, win a game and then lose all their games, it is to do with mentality in this country; people do not want more from their life. Winning again would be a miracle. I don't even remember the last time that a Romanian team won two consecutive Champions League games. But, for the first time in my life, this is a bet which I hope I will lose."

more by Dan Petrescu - 4 hours ago - guardian.co.uk