Ahead of January transfer window, Rangers face a fight to keep their best player

southsidelad

Daft article, imo.

The chairman said we do not need to sell anybody in January and I'm happy to take that at face value until something different happens. Unless one of our players tries to force a move away, I don't believe any will leave.

It will be the summer we have to worry about and hopefully by then, we will have a new owner!

Pretty realistic fees, I still cant believe the airy fairys quotes from our fans saying Boogie is worth £5 million....based on what???

It's funny how a lot of people have changed their mind on Madjid Bougherra in the last few weeks. One minute he's better than Carlos Cuellar, the next he can GTF, he's not worth any sort of money....I'm not having a go at you, but many have changed their mind recently.

We should be looking to keep him beyond January, unless a ridiculous bid comes in, which it won't, plus the fact that he'll be missing for 3 weeks due to the AFCON - teams who make signings in January will want the players available there and then, not in 2-3 weeks, with the possibility of they coming back injured.

For all we know, he could have an outstanding AFCON, continue his good form at Rangers, and perform at the World Cup, then we'd see a few teams in for him.

Before a ball was kicked this season, there were strong rumours that Madjid Bougherra had turned down a £4m+ move to Bordeaux. Did Bougherra also not say he'd reject any move this season, and Laurent Blanc said himself that Bougherra didn't want to leave.

Blanc said: "The deal to sign Bougherra was nearly concluded on Friday and I was sure I had the defender but at the last minute the player said he didn't want to come. We now have to look to other targets."

I don't see why getting £5m+ for Bougherra is such a big thing!?

While that may be true to a certain extent, the standard of the game in Scotland has fallen dramatically and EPL clubs will be just as likely to look to Championship teams and even to the likes of Leeds in League 1. Davis, Mendes, Bougherra and Lafferty all came North with very little interest from elsewhere. I'm just being realistic as to the values we can attract for them, especially when we have practically advertised that we are having a fire sale.

Totally disagree with this point, it's the gutter press who have decided we're having a fire sale, not us, it will be the end of the season when we might have to worry, not January.

Too many people prefer to go with the doom and gloom scenarios, if someone says it's the end a lot of people feel that this must be true even if something to the contrary is said which actually carries quotes/evidence.

Recent example of that was the press about another Club/Country row regarding Bougherra, one paper, who didn't have any quotes in it said that Bougherra was going to snub the club again for the African Nations Cup, even though Bougherra wouldn't have a choice on the situation anyway due to FIFA regulations. Another paper which actually had quotes from Bougherra totally contradicted the other paper's views but too many people were more than willing to believe the more doom and gloom article than an article which had actual quotes from the player himself.

Smith's self-preserving 'bank running the club' outburst has backfired as this is what was widely reported in the English media at the time. If the club receive bids that are deemed reasonable, they will attempt to push them through to keep onside with the bank and most of the players will be happy to get out with all the uncertainty around the club. Whether it is January or at the end of the season, Rangers will not be in a position to demand top dollar as we have a limited market to sell to i.e. the bottom half of EPL and top half of the Championship.

What we have to remember is players are only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Whilst there has been a lot of over-dramatising of our situation, the fact is we cannot afford to not consider offers which come in.

Also we hardly have a team of super stars. Pedro Mendes - 30 and injured, also didn't exactly set the heather on fire last time in the EPL. Steve Davis - Again someone who was relatively unsuccessful in the EPL, didn't exactly have a bidding war when he was available last time. Madjid Bougherra - Proven some what unreliable, away on international duty for 2-3 weeks. Kris Boyd - His failings are well documented, plus he is available for free in the summer, so not likely to attract big bids. Danny Wilson & John Fleck - Relatively untested, and only a drop in the ocean of promising youth players out there. Allan McGregor - The one player who could command a higher fee, if someone is willing to take the chance.

The fees stated in the article are all realistic. EPL and Championship clubs know the 'trouble' we are in. The also know the gulf in class between their leagues and ours. They will not pay top dollar simply because we they don't have too. We will sell cheaper, plus we really don't have any super stars anyway.

Here's hoping all this is simply conjecture, and we can retain a strong squad through the January window

Boyd would be our most valuable asset - any club in the world would want a natural goalscorer in their squad. He wouldn't get too many games with the bigger clubs, though. For me Davis is the one we can't afford to lose. McGregor and Bougherra can go. I find it surprising the bank haven't offered Boyd a new contract, even if just to bump up his potential transfer fee. But I don't think it is in the bank's ibnterests to flog key players for less than their worth. Time will tell, but we have heard all this every transfer window the last coup,e of seasons. Fans and the media seem obsessed with what happens off the pitch. But it is what happens on it that really counts, and we are still #1 in Scotland. For what that's worth..