England World Cup fans

grahamteuchter

I'd like to see England do well if it wasn't for the likes of Motson and co commentating but I don't want to see them get humped, I like to see all British teams do well club and country with the notable exception of Manchester United and Aberdeen. I can't stand the hypocrites however who one minute sing songs and wave flags in favour of the Union then next minute are giving it "English bastards" and all this pish.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't support England, Wales or Northern Ireland, then why would you wave a Union Flag? that is a paradox, because that flag symbolises a loyalist attitude toward the political affinitey our country shares with 3 others.

If someone openly waves a Saltire at Ibrox and says they don't support England, then i will say fair enough 100% and hope their non support of England isnt of an Anglophobian edge.

Aberdeen come under the Union in that respect then, they are a football team playing in Scotland which is part of Britain, would you be cheering them on in Europe?

If they wave a Union Flag, and then openly say they dont support England, then they clearly arent of the mindset our support want to see.

Who made you the Guru of "What our support want to see?"

i love the contradictions people make constantly.

Wave union flags, but DON'T support it?.

I support England just as much as i do NI and Wales in competitive matches, and will always support my own country.

There is no contradiction there at all.

If Britain were playing under one team then there would be a contradiction. As it is they are seperate footballing nations.

If I have a Scotland flag would I have to support other Scottish teams in Europe?

If you don't support England, Wales or Northern Ireland, then why would you wave a Union Flag? that is a paradox, because that flag symbolises a loyalist attitude toward the political affinitey our country shares with 3 others.

If someone openly waves a Saltire at Ibrox and says they don't support England, then i will say fair enough 100% and hope their non support of England isnt of an Anglophobian edge.

If they wave a Union Flag, and then openly say they dont support England, then they clearly arent of the mindset our support want to see.

You are getting a wee bit confused here i think. Supporting the Union as a collective is what you are doing by waving the Union Flag.

International football is different. Because we are a small island there exists a sporting rivalry between the home nations, that is completely understandable. Just because you don't support England at the World Cup doesn't mean you aren't a Unionist, it just means you don't want to see your sporting rival get one over on you.

As Dado says, if it was a British team then it would be a different scenario but England don't represent Britain, we all do as a collective. So having a sporting rivalry between the home nations doesn't show a lack of support for the Union, just the tribalism within football.

I can't stand the hypocrites however who one minute sing songs and wave flags in favour of the Union then next minute are giving it "English bastards" and all this pish.

This quote says it all, could not have put that better myself.

i love the contradictions people make constantly.

Wave union flags, but DON'T support it?.

I support England just as much as i do NI and Wales in competitive matches, and will always support my own country.

There is no contradiction there at all.

If Britain were playing under one team then there would be a contradiction. As it is they are seperate footballing nations.

If I have a Scotland flag would I have to support other Scottish teams in Europe?

You are getting a wee bit confused here i think. Supporting the Union as a collective is what you are doing by waving the Union Flag.

International football is different. Because we are a small island there exists a sporting rivalry between the home nations, that is completely understandable. Just because you don't support England at the World Cup doesn't mean you aren't a Unionist, it just means you don't want to see your sporting rival get one over on you.

As Dado says, if it was a British team then it would be a different scenario but England don't represent Britain, we all do as a collective. So having a sporting rivalry between the home nations doesn't show a lack of support for the Union, just the tribalism within football.

There is no context or difference in how it works. If you dont support the English national football team, then that is completly fine, but as to why is the issue.

a) you dont support them because you arent english (contradiction with a union flag)

or

b) you are anglophob.

In club football i will only ever support Rangers. When it comes to national football, then i will show my continous support of a union which benefits my country more than people like to realise.

There is no context or difference in how it works. If you dont support the English national football team, then that is completly fine, but as to why is the issue.

a) you dont support them because you arent english (contradiction with a union flag)

or

b) you are anglophob.

In club football i will only ever support Rangers. When it comes to national football, then i will show my continous support of a union which benefits my country more than people like to realise.

How is it a contradiction? I am not English.

Do you fly the colours of Britain at Ibrox or in general?

or

b) you are anglophob.

How is it a contradiction? I am not English.

And do you fly the colours of Britain at Ibrox or in general?

Not often as I don't own a Union flag, but I am a Brit.

Wasent what i asked, do you fly a union flag? if not, would you?

or

b) you are anglophob.

Sorry....what? <cr>

I don't support England because i'm not English. But i support the UK because i am British.

Where is the contradiction there?

""Would I wave one about? At an appropriate time, yes.""

And for the sake of argument, can you please tell me, which countries does the Union Flag represent

Is this a wind up?

I'm deadly serious.

If you are admitting to waving a Union Flag, but wont support our countries closest friend, then i'd love to know why. I'm trying to see here if you know exactly what a union is, or wether you are simply anglophobian.

You are at it.

At what? i am bringing up a perfectly valid point here. I find the lack of union amongst Scots to be disgusting considering everything that we've been through since 1707.

You are bringing up nothing, bar possibly a 10 page thread of people replying to you.

If you can't see the difference between supporting the Union as a country and sporting rivalry between nations then thats up to you.

I won't be spending my time arguing with you.

You are at it.

At what? i am bringing up a perfectly valid point here. I find the lack of union amongst Scots to be disgusting considering everything that we've been through since 1707.

You are bringing up nothing, bar possibly a 10 page thread of people replying to you.

If you can't see the difference between supporting the Union as a country and sporting rivalry between nations then thats up to you.

I won't be spending my time arguing with you.

No bother! :uk:

""Would I wave one about? At an appropriate time, yes.""

And for the sake of argument, can you please tell me, which countries does the Union Flag represent

Is this a wind up?

I'm deadly serious.

If you are admitting to waving a Union Flag, but wont support our countries closest friend, then i'd love to know why, i'm trying to see here if you know exactly what a union is, or wether you are simply anglophobian.

There is no middle ground with you, is there? You don't seem to recognise that the Union is made up of seperate countries. I support the one that I am from in international football. What is your issue here?

My issue? Britain is seen as ONE outwith the 4 constituant nations. There is no "Scottish" or "English" to anyone outside of Ireland or UK. It is British.

England are a member state of this "union" and to claim support of it by admitting you WOULD fly the flag, you are contradicting the point by saying you WONT support one of the nations it represents, at the very same sport as i'd like to assume you fly it at.

I find it embarassing i have to actually argue this point with my own clubs fans, given the club is often seen as the "Unionist"area in Scotland.

Will be staying neutral with this group as will like to see all Gers players playing well and being able to progress in the group, but I have to stay neutral to whoever especially as I have an English parent and don't really want to go against them..

"Your first point is irrelevant nonsense.

I support the Union when appropriate. As Dado has said, if a British team was playing then they would get my full support, just like the British team do during the Olympics. But when it comes to International football, the Union is not relevant, only the individual countries are represented. I support my country; Scotland. I do not support any other country in the entire world. Only a fucking moron would take that as me being against the English in some way.

And I'm done with this. Night."

You are going to dignify the argument with saying it is "nonsense", is this because you can't argue the point? or that you refuse to agree no matter how much sense it makes?.

You support a union when appropriate. I wont even dignify this myself, frankly.

"As Dado has said, if a British team was playing then they would get my full support" A british team is playing. Or will you now be telling me England aren't British?.

Only a moron would admit to waving the flag of a union, then think he isn't contradicting himself by saying he dosen't support one of the nations it represents.

Good night!

"Your first point is irrelevant nonsense.

I support the Union when appropriate. As Dado has said, if a British team was playing then they would get my full support, just like the British team do during the Olympics. But when it comes to International football, the Union is not relevant, only the individual countries are represented. I support my country; Scotland. I do not support any other country in the entire world. Only a fucking moron would take that as me being against the English in some way.

And I'm done with this. Night."

You are going to dignify the argument with saying it is "nonsense", is this because you can't argue the point? or that you refuse to agree no matter how much sense it makes?.

You support a union when appropriate. I wont even dignify this myself, frankly.

"As Dado has said, if a British team was playing then they would get my full support" A british team is playing. Or will you now be telling me England aren't British?.

Only a moron would admit to waving the flag of a union, then think he isnt contradicting himself by saying he dosent support one of the nations it represents.

Good night!

Its the world cup though Britain/UK does not come into it, the UK have 4 nations all with seperate football associations, so a true Scot would certainly not support England, I am only staying neutral and not supporting any as I come from Scottish/English background but would say more Scottish as was born here.

"Its the world cup though Britain/UK does not come into it, the UK have 4 nations all with seperate football associations, so a true Scot would certainly not support England, I am only staying neutral and not supporting any as I come from Scottish/English background but would say more Scottish as was born here."

Why would it matter what it is? They are a British team, and if we are going to portray ourselves as "Unionists" then why would it matter what or where a British team is playing?.

Club football has a great argument, and one i wont argue. National teams i will.

"Its the world cup though Britain/UK does not come into it, the UK have 4 nations all with seperate football associations, so a true Scot would certainly not support England, I am only staying neutral and not supporting any as I come from Scottish/English background but would say more Scottish as was born here."

Why would it matter what it is? They are a British team, and if we are going to portray ourselves as "Unionists" then why would it matter what or where a British team is playing?.

Club football has a great argument, and one i wont argue. National teams i will.

England may be classed as a British team just like the other 3 nations, but it still does not justify a Scottish person having to support them in the world cup, that would be like you trying to say we have to support ManUre against Barcelona in a Champions League final just because they are a British team.

Saying club and country are different arguments is nonsence

you have some point here :pipe:

we all support the union and england will be the only british team there so lets get behind them as they are going to the world cup as the BRITISH team :spraise: :pierre:

you have some point here :pipe:

we all support the union and england will be the only british team there so lets get behind them as they are going to the world cup as the BRITISH team :spraise: :pierre:

They are going to the world cup as an ENGLISH team as previously mentioned UK/BRITISH does not come under FIFA in the world cup

England may be classed as a British team just like the other 3 nations, but it still does not justify a Scottish person having to support them in the world cup, that would be like you trying to say we have to support ManUre against Barcelona in a Champions League final just because they are a British team.

Saying club and country are different arguments is nonsence

How is this anything like supporting a club team, in any way? Club football is exactly what it says on the tin. Club.

National football is about a country. England are a country who are part of a union we share. I wont repeat myself here, because honestly, for anyone to fly a union flag and say they dont support England, i dont have to justify "contradiction"

Quick edit:- Just for the record? i'd like to also use this image at some point in this thread.

Union_Flag_Component_Flags2.PNG