Smith slams Rangers legends

zamba

WALTER SMITH has slammed nine-in-a-row legends Richard Gough and Mark Hateley for running down Rangers.

And in a stinging volley the Ibrox boss blasted: "You weren't perfect yourselves."

Gough slated Smith's team for being too weak in their Euro defeat to Stuttgart, while Hateley used his column in another newspaper to brand Gers spineless against the Germans.

Smith is furious with their criticism in the media and ordered them to shut it in future.

He blasted: "Richard Gough and Mark Hateley are two who have made comments in newspapers and I get disappointed by that aspect.

"It's more difficult for the players now than it was in the time when they played.

"At times I get a wee bit fed-up with every one of them coming out with these comments.

"It's as if they had the perfect answer to everything in football. They didn't have."

Gough also slammed Madjid Bougherra and Kenny Miller after their training ground bust-up this week.

But Smith added: "We used to have loads of managerial meetings and bust-ups to try and keep them on the right track.

"And while they might be looking at the Rangers team just now and being critical, the present team has been successful.

"I just get a bit fed up reading about all the rest of them.

"Okay, we maybe don't have a Gascoigne or a Laudrup or a McCoist from the early days, guys to pull us out of problems.

"But the boys who are here have had to work extremely hard to get where they are."

Meanwhile, Gers shareholders will gather for the AGM on Monday with no offers on the table for Sir David Murray's shares.

Florida-based property tycoon Graham Duffy has broken his silence on his Ibrox vision for the future.

It's understood he has spoken to businessman Douglas Park, who SunSport revealed as a potential buyer for Gers.

Duffy has also outlined proposals for a membership scheme, which would involve 45,000 supporters investing £1,000 each.

And he has pledged to underwrite the club's £31million debt.

But SunSport can reveal Duffy, 42, hasn't spoken to anyone at Rangers or Lloyds Banking Group over a takeover deal.

Murray won't attend what is sure to be a stormy AGM.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...18/Shut-it.html

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter does not like the truth sometimes, if he cant see that there is a problem with the players, then we really are in big trouble.

Before you posted that pish -- did you check with Walter on what he actually thinks?

Walter does not like the truth sometimes, if he cant see that there is a problem with the players, then we really are in big trouble.

Before you posted that pish -- did you check with Walter on what he actually thinks?

Sometime you dont like to hear the truth. :)

the legends have every right to get tore into the current team

they are a bunch of shitebags

and worst of all, 90% o them are smiths shitebags

Exactly,anyone who cant admit that is simply burying their head in the sand.

There's a big "Don't slag Walter" element on here and it's irritating.

Some wont have a bad word said against him because of 9 in a row.

Some wont have a bad word said against him because of 9 in a row.

Yea and Manchester but there is something seriously wrong with our team,

Winning the league papered over the cracks,if anything we have went backwards.

Walter has every right to defend himself.

We're having a pretty torrid time of it at the moment and the last thing this club needs is its own fucking legends sticking the boot in.

Critisism without being constructive is pointless and should be saved for the shitebags that want to bring the club to its knee's.

The Legends should shut their mouth and show some respect for the man who helped make them what they are.

Yes, Walter is having serious problems this season but he knows this, he doesn't need the boot put into him by people who are supposed to have Rangers at heart.

Explain to me how Gough and Hateley taking pot shots through the gutter tabloids will help our current situation?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

We're having a pretty torrid time of it at the moment and the last thing this club needs is its own fucking legends sticking the boot in.

Critisism without being constructive is pointless and should be saved for the shitebags that want to bring the club to its knee's.

I think it shows that the legends care, and hate to see players that dont care.

How do you know they don't care?

Could it just be.... They are not good enough?

The Legends should shut their mouth and show some respect for the man who helped make them what they are.

Yes, Walter is having serious problems this season but he knows this, he doesn't need the boot put into him by people who are supposed to have Rangers at heart.

Explain to me how Gough and Hateley taking pot shots through the gutter tabloids will help our current situation?

If anything they should be pinned on the wall,as Hateley said the squad werent happy with his previous column so

what a way to shut him up with that performance at Aberdeen.

Isn't it the players that have been slated anyway not Walter?

It doesnt show they care, it shows they want publicity. In Hately's case anyway.

Like I said, you can be critical all you like but if your not being constructive then its utterly pointless. It's sticking the boot in and its the total opposite of whats needed right now.

Someone posted a thread a while ago about fans on this message board and "we should be sticking together" or something to that effect. That sentiment spreads far wider than just RM and everyone assossiated with the club at this time needs to be backing eachother, not firing in petty critisisms.

Exactly mate. We're in desperate times here, so we should be sticking together as a club. None of these petty remarks in the press. It achieves fuck all.

I'm sure Walter can see the shortcomings in the present side without Gough and Hateley shoving it in his face.

Yea that's why he continues to play McCulloch,Lafferty on the left and Naismith as a centre mid.

He isn't exactly spoiled for choice, is he? Every player in the squad is going to be of a very similar standard no matter who plays. We have injuries to first-team midfielders at the moment and therefore Smith is having to make use of his squad.

I know McCulloch and Naismith are hardly the best of options, neither is Thomson on current form. But who else do you play?