Kris Boyd must stay!

Muff

got a question for u gsa, Would it not make more sence to punt kyle lafferty who is on 17kpw and is far more less productive than kris boyd?. Another question would it make more economical sence to punt lafferty for 1.5-2 million at sum point in the future (preferably soon) than kris boyd for only 500k due to his contract expireing?, if he turned down 36kpw- not confirmed but i 2 heard that, surely he would do it again.

Who on earth would buy lafferty from us now?!

He's struggling in the SPL, what EPL team would take a punt on him now?

Thats not the point though is it ;)

Then again, at the same time, see Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, Ross McCormack for examples of players apparently not good enough for us, yet turning it on down there.

That's exactly the point.

The post asked why not sell Laff, I replied who the fuck would have him?!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to see stats from this season of how many goals we've scored with Boyd starting, and how many we've scored without him starting. I know in the past we've averaged slightly higher without him in the team, but I reckon the opposite will be true this season.

I'd always be cautious about those kind of figures. I'm no statistician, but I don't think you can judge Boyd's goalscoring worth to the team based on how many goals we score when he doesn't play. For example, Boyd hasn't featured at all in only three of our last 50 league games; of those three games we scored 7 goals (4 vs. Celtic, 3 vs. Hibs, both away). However, we failed to scored against Celtic in the third of those three games. It would be easy to argue that the first two games prove we score more goals away against the likes of Celtic without Boyd, but we have so little evidence of how many goals we'd score over the course of any prolonged period without him that the data becomes a little skewed.

Indeed. Then again, surely the simple view, would be, count how many goals we scored over a season, and, subtract how many he scores, then you see what the entire rest of the team does

Yup, although that would only show how many the rest of the team scores with Boyd; some people would argue that without him, we'd play an entirely different way of football, and the other strikers and the midfield would push forward and take up the slack by scoring more than they do currently. I'm not sure I agree with that myself. Boyd's good for 30 goals a season, and I'm not sure we have too many players that have a goalscoring bent at all.

got a question for u gsa, Would it not make more sence to punt kyle lafferty who is on 17kpw and is far more less productive than kris boyd?. Another question would it make more economical sence to punt lafferty for 1.5-2 million at sum point in the future (preferably soon) than kris boyd for only 500k due to his contract expireing?, if he turned down 36kpw- not confirmed but i 2 heard that, surely he would do it again.

Then again, at the same time, see Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, Ross McCormack for examples of players apparently not good enough for us, yet turning it on down there.

What i mean is that if offers came in 4 both i wud take laffs offer and nt boyds.

For me i still have my doubts on Kris Boyd, yes he's slightly improved his overall game. Is that because he's trying to impress us or trying to work out a better deal for himself elsewhere.

Him and his agent hold all the cards, not us!

If he does get this improved contract from us, hopefully he doesn't then think well the hardwork is finished, and reverts back the way.

What i mean is that if offers came in 4 both i wud take laffs offer and nt boyds.

I see.

I'd have to agree with that, although I think of the two only Boyd would attract any attention.

Definately wouldn't sell him tho, certainly not for the kind of money we would recieve atm.

The question was,

Would it not make more sence to punt kyle lafferty who is on 17kpw and is far more less productive than kris boyd?

The answer is yes, simple as.

The reason I mentioned the 3 players is, the majority on here thought a total combined fee for all 3 of £500k, was a "great deal for us", so, your question "who the fuck would have him?!", the answer is, probably far far more teams than you would believe/think, given the past

...your question "who the fuck would have him?!", the answer is, probably far far more teams than you would believe/think, given the past

He has shown that he wasn't ready for the step up from Championship to the SPL.

IMO no-one would touch him at the moment.

...your question "who the fuck would have him?!", the answer is, probably far far more teams than you would believe/think, given the past

As much as I'm aware of his recent improvements, you're inclined to agree with Jimbo here.

If he was 'as good' as everyone thinks, surely we'd have teams knocking our door down to sign him given his well-known contract situation, as well as our financial problems.

Noone? what? anywhere?

Surely, perhaps, a Championship side would? In fact, they WOULD. Its been shown that these clubs come in for our players, we basically give them away, and, they follow that with playing well and getting better deals down the line. No reason at all to suggest Lafferty wouldnt do this either.

I do like that you said spl is a step up from the championship tho

As much as I'm aware of his recent improvements, you're inclined to agree with Jimbo here.

If he was 'as good' as everyone thinks, surely we'd have teams knocking our door down to sign him given his well-known contract situation, as well as our financial problems.

Have you gotten confused poopy? We are on about Lafferty not Boyd :lol:

(at least I am)

(at least I am)

:lol:

I'm talking about Lee McCulloch.

(at least I am)

:lol:

I'm talking about Lee McCulloch.

Ok then, I agree :craphead:

I would give him a new deal as given our circumstances he is a decent SPL squad player and if he can keep improving his game as well as his fitness and athleticism, which is shocking imo, then he could be a half decent player for us and play in all games but the problem has always been Boyds inflated opinion of himself for me as he feels he should be put up there with the higher earners and that he is one of our key players, that is not the case imo and i dont think WS or the club will give him that type of money, so unless he reduces his terms i dont see a new deal being agreed. Also i think it would be very risky to give him a high basic wage long term contract as he might just revert back to his old self and its very convenient that he has finally realised what he needs to do now that his contract is up when it has been blatantly obvious since he signed, so i would like to see the new deal structured around bonuses, which will force him to keep improving, especially his fitness and athleticism, which is a shocking for a professional footballer imo, Although the same could be said of quite a few of our players, especially the Scots.

For me i still have my doubts on Kris Boyd, yes he's slightly improved his overall game. Is that because he's trying to impress us or trying to work out a better deal for himself elsewhere.

Him and his agent hold all the cards, not us!

If he does get this improved contract from us, hopefully he doesn't then think well the hardwork is finished, and reverts back the way.

Great post (tu)

If Kris Boyd can keep this level of play up, as well as scoring goals, then I will have no problems with him getting a new deal.

I would rather keep Boyd and shift on Lafferty and Novo.

My issue is that he doesn't produce when it really matters, our tougher matches, which for me are Celtic, europe and top 6 away.

Against Celtic he has 1 goal in 8 starts.

In europe he has something like 3 goals (including one penatly) in something like 19 appearances.

Top 6 away he scored just twice last season.........same number and same games as Lafferty scored twice in, Dundee United away.

This season, he has played in 3 games that come under that category (4 if you include called off game away to Dundee United). Celtic at home, Stuttgart at home, Aberdeen away (and DU away). No goals in those 3/4 games.

He's also failed to score in 4 of the 6 away games he's started this season, emphasising that Ibrox against the bottom 6 is really where he produces. Only 6 in total of his 31 goals last season came against the top 6. He's scored just 1 goal from open play against the top 6 this season (Hibs in our 1-1 draw, also a penalty against Hearts).

I do recognise an improved effort from him though. But then why now, and not previously over any length of time ? Contract running down, agent in his ear telling him he can get a big pay day elsewhere if Rangers don't offer him the money he wants ? Reminds me a bit of the Lovenkrands situation when he also upped his game around this time.

Seville away, Dundee United away, Hibs away, Celtic away.......some big games coming up, and these are the tougher matches I'm talking about that too often he fails to produce in. I'll reserve judgement on Boyd being a changed and improved player until after the next Old Firm game.

My issue is that he doesn't produce when it really matters, our tougher matches, which for me are Celtic, europe and top 6 away.

Against Celtic he has 1 goal in 8 starts.

In europe he has something like 3 goals (including one penatly) in something like 19 appearances.

Top 6 away he scored just twice last season.........same number and same games as Lafferty scored twice in, Dundee United away.

This season, he has played in 3 games that come under that category (4 if you include called off game away to Dundee United). Celtic at home, Stuttgart at home, Aberdeen away (and DU away). No goals in those 3/4 games.

He's also failed to score in 4 of the 6 away games he's started this season, emphasising that Ibrox against the bottom 6 is really where he produces. Only 6 in total of his 31 goals last season came against the top 6. He's scored just 1 goal from open play against the top 6 this season (Hibs in our 1-1 draw, also a penalty against Hearts).

I do recognise an improved effort from him though. But then why now, and not previously over any length of time ? Contract running down, agent in his ear telling him he can get a big pay day elsewhere if Rangers don't offer him the money he wants ? Reminds me a bit of the Lovenkrands situation when he also upped his game around this time.

Seville away, Dundee United away, Hibs away, Celtic away.......some big games coming up, and these are the tougher matches I'm talking about that too often he fails to produce in. I'll reserve judgement on Boyd being a changed and improved player until after the next Old Firm game.

And do his good overall displays in these so called bigger games not mean anything?

It's not all about scoring goals and that's a big reason why Kris Boyd has always had criticism. Yes it's not good that he missed chances but his overall performances were pleasing in the recent 'big' games and the misses don't take that away from him.

The guys supposed to be a lkifelong Rangers fan yet he only improves his effort levels 3 months before he can talk to other clubs. Why? I will concede he has tried a bit harder and played a bit better in some games recently but why did he not change his attitude 2 years ago? The answer is imo because he thinks he's much better than he is and Kris Boyd is a massive Kris Boyd fan not a massive Rangers fan.

Everyone in the world knows we are flat broke, everyone can see his stats for themselves. If he doesn't get a contract signed by 1st Jan let's just see what calibre of teams come in for him.

With regards to the earlier post i think it was outlaw who asked why don't we sell Lafferty instead, who in their right mind would buy him based on how he has done for us? It worried me when he signed for us that you had a young international playing in the Championship available for a relatively small fee (by Prem standards) and we were the only team that seemed to be linked with him.

The guys supposed to be a lkifelong Rangers fan yet he only improves his effort levels 3 months before he can talk to other clubs. Why? I will concede he has tried a bit harder and played a bit better in some games recently but why did he not change his attitude 2 years ago? The answer is imo because he thinks he's much better than he is and Kris Boyd is a massive Kris Boyd fan not a massive Rangers fan.

Everyone in the world knows we are flat broke, everyone can see his stats for themselves. If he doesn't get a contract signed by 1st Jan let's just see what calibre of teams come in for him.

With regards to the earlier post i think it was outlaw who asked why don't we sell Lafferty instead, who in their right mind would buy him based on how he has done for us? It worried me when he signed for us that you had a young international playing in the Championship available for a relatively small fee (by Prem standards) and we were the only team that seemed to be linked with him.

If Kris Boyd was a Kris Boyd fan he would have left last year when Brum offered to seriously up his wages. Boyd is playing for HIS team, maybe this is not too much for some pros such as, oh off the top of my head, Scott Brown - Boyd has stuck by the continually being left on the bench for big matches, for being overlooked in favour of strikers with half the finishing ability of him, why? probably because he loves Rangers more than you or I realise. As far as performance is concerned some people are late developers, just as some people get worse as they get older -plenty of young prodigies will testify to that, e.g Franny Jeffers.

I think most agree that Boyd deserves a new contract, but does he deserve a payrise?

but if on the figures quoted here, amywhere between 8-15 g's should he take a paycut either?

for 400 grand and over 100 goals, including cup final winners, i can see no reason why we should not offer him a new contract. his goals have helped us win a title and a couple of cups, but can we really do without a player who almost automatically gives you 20-30 goals of a start.