Walter and Andy on Little's best position

Boab

Pre season against Portsmouth, Little was awful at RB. Every time Kranjcer went near him, he got done.

Was one of his first appearances though? In a "meaningless game", against a very good player who would have done hte same to Broadfoot and Whittaker?

Fair point

One thing going from centre back to right back they are both defensive positions

another thing altogether turning a attacking player into a defensive one

fair enough you get attacking right backs they give you something going forward but leave big holes at the back ala whitaker or hutton

i prefer a natural defensive player who can learn to support attack wise but not over do it and leave gaps

To be honest in this situation I think the criticism on Walter is a bit unfair, I think Hutton started as a CB, and became a right back, McGregor started his life as a striker, ok that was mainly in his school days, but he isn't the first youngster to go through this type of transition and he certainly won't be the last, irrespective of what team they play for and who the manager might be.

Hutton started as a centre forward mate ;)

As for the hideous over reaction here, which, appears little more than another excuse to have a dig at Smith!

The player himself states

He wants to settle on a position quickly and said: "I'll need to find my best role in the next year or so.

"This is a big period coming up and I'd love to be playing for Rangers.

So, HE doesnt know, Smith has a feeling where he may be best suited.

Wheres the fucking problem????

Come on mate,

Your explanation is to logical, this is a Rangers forum and its big bad Smiths fault get with it!

Some of the replies in this thread though :anguish: :anguish:

One thing going from centre back to right back they are both defensive positions

another thing altogether turning a attacking player into a defensive one

fair enough you get attacking right backs they give you something going forward but leave big holes at the back ala whitaker or hutton

i prefer a natural defensive player who can learn to support attack wise but not over do it and leave gaps

Arthur Numan, arguably one of the best Full backs ever at this club played as a Left Wing/Behind the strikers role until his late teens.

There are plenty of examples of players being converted to different positions for their betterment.

To be honest in this situation I think the criticism on Walter is a bit unfair, I think Hutton started as a CB, and became a right back, McGregor started his life as a striker, ok that was mainly in his school days, but he isn't the first youngster to go through this type of transition and he certainly won't be the last, irrespective of what team they play for and who the manager might be.

Hutton started as a centre forward mate ;)

As for the hideous over reaction here, which, appears little more than another excuse to have a dig at Smith!

The player himself states

He wants to settle on a position quickly and said: "I'll need to find my best role in the next year or so.

"This is a big period coming up and I'd love to be playing for Rangers.

So, HE doesnt know, Smith has a feeling where he may be best suited.

Wheres the fucking problem????

Little has said before that he thinks of himself as a striker but it's pretty clear he just wants to play for us and will do whatever it takes. Walter obviously thinks he's got talent but since we have too many strikers as it is, he's tried to turn him into a full back. I don't think it's a case of "finding out his best position", more a case of "can he be better than our existing defenders even though he's really a striker". You can hardly blame the kid for going along with it - he would get pelters for saying "if I'm not playing striker I'm not playing at all". As a NI bear, I reckon Little is twice the striker Lafferty is - Little just suffers from not having made a big money move and therefore Walter does not feel the need to justify the investment in him.

There are plenty of examples of players being converted to different positions for their betterment.

I'm pretty sure Henry was a winger before Wenger turned him into a striker and Guardiola turned him into a goalkeeper before the game against the Irish. Just because a player grows up playing one position, doesn't mean he's not suited better in another.

The objection is not that Walter appears to be switching Little's position, the problem is that Walter is still dithering about it and won't test Little when it is appropriate to do so, like last night for example. How is he going to make his mind up if he doesn't test him?

The objection is not that Walter appears to be switching Little's position, the problem is that Walter is still dithering about it and won't test Little when it is appropriate to do so, like last night for example. How is he going to make his mind up if he doesn't test him?

Last night was Broadfoots 2nd game back, he was playing very well, so, it wasnt appropriate to change

Maybe you just aren't as wonderfully smart as I am!

No, no, thats not it, I just didnt feel that a question was appropriate, so, the use of it would have been poor and flawed :sherlock:

You're smarter than I thought. You'll go far in this business.

If theres one thing I have learnt matey, it's try to avoid poor syntax and grammar on RM (tu)

(Its almost a bigger sin than praising!)

Happens often. Sandy Jardine started at centre half, played various positions including centre forward beforing settling down and becoming one of the finest right backs Scotland has ever seen.

Big DJ played striker or centre half....

(tu)