On This Day...

gavinc86

Stefan Klos 'Der Goalie' came to Rangers in Christmas Eve 1998. I was 12 at the time, not long after I got into football, but what a great goalie I thought he was, I grew up through my teenage years when he was more or less 1st choice goalie :rolleyes:

Unlucky with injuries though in his 8 & a half years, at the end of 2006-07 Der Goalie was Rangers' longest-serving player at the time, apparently now lives in Switzerland

Stefan Klos 'Der Goalie' came to Rangers in Christmas Eve 1998. I was 12 at the time, not long after I got into football, but what a great goalie I thought he was, I grew up through my teenage years when he was more or less 1st choice goalie :rolleyes:

Unlucky with injuries though in his 8 & a half years, at the end of 2006-07 Der Goalie was Rangers' longest-serving player at the time, apparently now lives in Switzerland

Cant believe it was that long! Really good keeper .

I'd say this man was probably my first ever idol. I played in goals from the ages of about 6-10 and he was the guy I watched every week, watching what he done warming up etc.

Great, great goalkeeper and a Rangers legend.

Klos was a great goalie and as was mentioned never really got the praise he deserved. You can see his shot stopping in Shagger and that is a credit to Klos that he taught McGregor so well. I would say he is in our top 5 goalies we have ever had and I think I read that he was not picked by Germany because he played in the SPL and that Stephan had said that it mattered more to him to play for the Rangers than his national team, what a great keeper and a class guy

Proud to say I seen him play at Ibrox, against hapoel tel aviv (I think), anyone care to correct the game and spelling?

Must be right, the 2nd leg of UEFA Cup round of 32, 22nd Feb 2007, won 4-0 & Allan Mcgregor got sent off so Nacho got subbed at 75mins, so Klos played for 15 mins

Proud to say I seen him play at Ibrox, against hapoel tel aviv (I think), anyone care to correct the game and spelling?

Must be right, the 2nd leg of UEFA Cup round of 32, 22nd Feb 2007, won 4-0 & Allan Mcgregor got sent off so Nacho got subbed at 75mins, so Klos played for 15 mins

He also played the full 90 mins the game after at home to Osasuna if I remember correctly?

And his last game was a home win against Dunfermline when he pulled off a great save on the 90th minute.

Was my hero growing up :praise:

I remember that game I was on to a winner with a 3-0 scoreline, then Charlie Adam scored and I was nearly greeting. The first time I ever saw Klos play too, was a laughable sending off from what I remember McGregor done f*ck all wrong. There was booing right round the stadium for 15 mins straight.

Would have been up there as one of the best keepers in the world, but his kick outs were rank rotton - the only poor part of his game.

I thought his kicking was awful and his command of his box at high balls was dreadful, and I think it cost us a lot against a physical Celtic side.

Shot stopping was second to none though.

I don't think we'd have seen him here had Charbonnier got his injury, because big Lionel looked like an incredible find before he done his knee.