Kevin Phillips

NorthernLights

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm telling you even at 36 he'd still be a very shrewd addition to our should we be really struggling (as is predicted by all and sundry) this Summer.

His family are very settled in Birmingham, but very few British born players, especially ones in the twilight of their career are going to pass up the chance to play for us.

See Sir David Of Weir as a prime example ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/8498167.stm

Phillips said that Big Eck wanted to sign him when he was here. Anybody know when that was? I don't remember it. Would have been a great signing.

Who gives a toss?

I do, i want to know why we are pissing into the wind with a guy like Lafferty in the knowledge we could have had this fella on our books.

If we are forced to downsize in the Summer I seriously think Phillips (despite his age) should be considered as a short term option to fill the void that will (probably) be left by Boyd.

The guy is a born goalscorer.

Wheres the money coming from?

If we are forced to downsize in the Summer I seriously think Phillips (despite his age) should be considered as a short term option to fill the void that will (probably) be left by Boyd.

He's out of contract in the summer, and even if he was still under contract, at 36, he isn't going to cost too much!

He's out of contract in the summer, and even if he was still under contract, at 36, he isn't going to cost too much!

What kind of wages do you think he's on?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/8498167.stm

Phillips said that Big Eck wanted to sign him when he was here. Anybody know when that was? I don't remember it. Would have been a great signing.

Who gives a toss?

Obviously you do, or you wouldn't have replied!

Nope.. just to say who cares? But thanks for you informed insight mate. (tu)

Could not give a fuck about who we could have signed, who we didn't etc. WE have players on the pitch at the moment who are busting their guts to ensure that #53 comes home. These players (and the management) are the ones I care about.

Kevin who? Not good enough anyway. Would not play imho.

This is a clueless comment. Phillips was a top, top striker in his prime. Still more than good enough to get 20+ goals a season up here.

Haven't got a clue, but if Birmingham were to release him at the end of the season, then I doubt he would demand anything stupid. He just want's to play regular football.

Haven't got a clue, but if Birmingham were to release him at the end of the season, then I doubt he would demand anything stupid. He just want's to play regular football.

I would like to see him come but i'm just thinking if we could afford him. (tu)

I just hope he doesn't' turn into the same short term opinion as Davie Weir.

I just hope he doesn't' turn into the same short term opinion as Davie Weir.

I hope he does!

Phillips would have been a great signing, he scored something like 24 prem goals for sunderland in that particular season.

His 2nd goal on sunday was excellent the way he controlled it and put it in the corner in 1 movement, hes always scored goals, id have him now even at 36.

edit... correction, he scored 30 prem goals in 36 appearances that season. Thats incredible.

Talk about lowering the bar, ffs he should not even be on the radar, 5,4 even 3 years ago no probs he would have been worth a purchase, two goals today gets him back in vogue but not a prayer.

not just lowering the bar mate, we have to remove the fucking thing altogether

far too many people are getting hung up about players because they arent "rangers class"

right now as long as they are "spl class" then they WILL have to do,

european progress is a bonus, but the euro money is a must, so we have to do whatever it takes to win this league

and if that means we sign a 36 year old kevin phillips, then so be it

Talk about lowering the bar, ffs he should not even be on the radar, 5,4 even 3 years ago no probs he would have been worth a purchase, two goals today gets him back in vogue but not a prayer.

Andrius Velicka, Kyle Lafferty, or Kevin Phillips... I know who I'd take everytime, the 36 year old!

Andrius Velicka, Kyle Lafferty, or Kevin Phillips... I know who I'd take everytime, the 36 year old!

My point is when he was with Southampton for a couple of seasons in his early 30s that was the time to swoop, i have always rated Phillips highly as a striker, by the start of next season he will be 37 years of age, you might get away with it as a goalie or defender, up front i doubt it.

The Velicka,Lafferty comparisons hard to argue with at the minute, Velicka's rank rotten and big Kyles not exactly flavour of the month.

My point is when he was with Southampton for a couple of seasons in his early 30s that was the time to swoop, i have always rated Phillips highly as a striker, by the start of next season he will be 37 years of age, you might get away with it as a goalie or defender, up front i doubt it.

The Velicka,Lafferty comparisons hard to argue with at the minute, Velicka's rank rotten and big Kyles not exactly flavour of the month.

But has he lost that eye for goal and natural finishing ability? That is the question that you have to ask.