Steven Whittaker

RFCsince1690

Whittaker is ALWAYS played at either right back or left mid. Obvious problems arise from both of these.

1. Whittaker cannot defend.

2. Whittaker is right sided.

An obvious solution also presents itself. Play him at right mid! I, along with many others, cringe when Davis plays right mid, as he is much better playing centrally. So why don't we play the rather skilful, attack minded Whittaker at right-mid, Davis and Thomson/McCulloch in the middle and either Beasley or Lafferty on the left. I think it would benefit Rangers, as it would allow Whittaker to get forward where he is best and it would let our most influential and creative player to play in his favourite position. Anybody got Walter's phone number? :craphead:

I think he's better at left mid than at right mid. At right mid he's not got the pace or trickery to beat his man to put balls in the box.......whereas at left mid he's got the option to come inside and have a shot on his favoured foot more often.

Ok, we play Davis right side and he doesn't hit the byeline either, but I think that's more to do with a) the defensive cover he's capable of giving our right back, the weakest aspect of our defence, with the great engine he has and b) he's not someone who tends to take shots outside the box, so playing him left side isn't going to add that aspect to his game.

I think when he was signed Walter said he hoped to play Whittaker on the right side of the midfield with Hutton playing at right back. But Whittaker has never shone when played on right on midfield. He's better at full back were he has the chance to over lap or come in side and have a few shots at goal which thank fuck have been going in the net off late.

I think you'd see the same type of player no matter where he starts. Some games he'll be great and score goals, and others he'll be useless

Nail on the head TG.The guy is a complete dilemma,when he's bad,he's really bad.When he's good he can be brilliant.Hard to keep him out the side

when he plays the way he did Saturday.(I can't believe I just said that) :huh:

He's fine on the right as long as Bougherra's there to mop up, but when Danny comes in on the left side and Weir is shunted to the right then it becomes a bit problematic.

Fine for the SPL in our current climate.

I think you'd see the same type of player no matter where he starts. Some games he'll be great and score goals, and others he'll be useless

Nail on the head TG.The guy is a complete dilemma,when he's bad,he's really bad.When he's good he can be brilliant.Hard to keep him out the side

Both exactly correct. He is an enigma - a huge one. Against CFC at RB he could be responsible for many goals in both directions! Hard to know what to do with him. Broadfoot after a good start back looks like he has lost a lot of pace which is sad as he is/was the better defender.

Both exactly correct. He is an enigma - a huge one. Against CFC at RB he could be responsible for many goals in both directions! Hard to know what to do with him. Broadfoot after a good start back looks like he has lost a lot of pace which is sad as he is/was the better defender.

Nail on the head.

Broadfoot, I feel could well be suffering from his extra session's. Walter has already raised concerns over his weight loss, this could well be having an affect.

He is the definition of enigma!

His defending is dreadful so I don't like seeing him at right back. Even in the first half against Hibs we could have conceded three goals, all of which came from our right side which he is responsible for covering. Then you look back at performances against Seville and Unirea and think no way should he be in defence.

Then there is him on the left flank, where he can be a hit or a miss. Capable of brilliance, ala Lisbon, but also anonymous far too often. Then that leads back to the old argument; should right sided player be played on the left? It means he can't hit the by-line and we play very narrow, especially with Davis on the other flank who isn't renown for swinging the ball in.

Trying him on the right may work, we did it when he first signed as he played in front of Hutton. Hutton, you would think, would give him more options than the slower Broadfoot would, and as he struggled at right wing then, I think he may do so again.

As inconsistent as he may be, one thing is for sure which is that it will be hard for Walter to leave him out of the side if he is already in double figures for goals this season!

Whittaker must be due a goals video on youtube?

Taking the box standard header he scored at Dundee and his tap in against Hamilton out of the equation, near enough every other goal he has ever scored for us has has had a sensational level of technique, sheer power or both involved in it.

I dare not say it, but come the Summer we might struggle to hold onto him.

He was absolutely honking in Europe, but he has a decent level of experience now and plenty of teams in the lower end of The Premiership would love to have a player who provides them with a similar level of the versatility and a knack of scoring important goals that Whittaker provides.

Honestly do not rate the guy as part of a back four - too easily beat for a cross to be delivered and falls asleep when ball comes down opposite side which generally allows free header at back post.

To be fair though Papac is a guilty but stops more crosses in than Whittaker though looked rather weak on saturday.

I'd play Whittaker in midfield - not a natural defender in my opinion.