Priest: I'm the biggest Rangers fan in town...

Jimbo.

I must admit that Fr Magee (not that I know him) requires a bit of respect given he is going totally against the grain of you bog standard west coast Catholic, bet that goes down well with those the try to dictate peoples lives!

He is a bluenose and deserves respect for that along, imo.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic is it not that this cowan story comes out as we are discussing roughies comments from lastnight. Cowan was the first radio pundit to ever say that dreaded word H-- live on live radio and he never ceased running down GERS with stupid jokes and silly comments. I have heard from a good source that this slagging of The Bears was all because of the kidding etc. he got at school from all his Rangers supporting mates. Revenge eh?

Your source is talkin pish, Roughy wore a rangers T shirt under his goalies jersey, when I played with him at Sighthill Amateurs.

Ironic is it not that this cowan story comes out as we are discussing roughies comments from lastnight. Cowan was the first radio pundit to ever say that dreaded word H-- live on live radio and he never ceased running down GERS with stupid jokes and silly comments. I have heard from a good source that this slagging of The Bears was all because of the kidding etc. he got at school from all his Rangers supporting mates. Revenge eh?

Your source is talkin pish, Roughy wore a rangers T shirt under his goalies jersey, when I played with him at Sighthill Amateurs.

My source is not pish ,Cowan was my subject not Alan rough.

If you can't get away with saying something like that in the Mother Lodge then what chance have you got...

Maybe Tam was a poor man's replacement for Andy Cameron..some of his Sportsman's Dinner material is quality!

There's plenty of those of the Roman persuasion in the Masons unfortunately.

Thank god I'm not a member. Catholics are not my brothers.

I echo your sentiments, thank God you’re not a Freemason

What did Roughy say? I think he's a good pundit and to be honest a good guy in general.

Some of the narrow mindedness of people on here is incredible, the guy has stated in the papers in in a crowd of people that he's a die hard Rangers fan and you people slag him because he's a catholic? What about Lorenzo Amoruso for one? One of the best players to play for our club and a die hard catholic, does that make him any more or less a Rangers man or a Rangers legend?

I disagree with the Catholic Church and its views and maybe think this priest beliefs are wrong, but his belief that the Gers and better than the scum is more important to me, especially on a Rangers forum.

Some people need to get a grip and think before they type because theyre making themselves look like morons. Wanks.

People are saying he is a Rangers fan, but the way I read it was that he was only joking when he said that. Not that it would bother me if he was.

thank fuck it was not only me that read that. :clap:

Frankly I see nothing funny about a Motherwell fan slagging a self confessed Rangers fan, regardless of his religion or job, hope Cowan gets done with slander, overhyped arrogant prick.

Reply of the thread so far. I concur fully.

Cowan is about as funny as a burning orphanage - his voice grates at my very soul and I cringe every time I think that we, the taxpayers of this great land, are paying this fat arrogant yet talentless bastard's wages.

I hope this gets taken to the Court's,

A: To teach Cowan and other anti-Rangers/anti-Protestant's a lesson.

B: See 'A' above.

I never thought I'd see myself writing the following line........ever, but, (ahem....cough....clears throat), "C'mon the priest guy....get tore in!!" :blush:

Cowan is a comedian, that's what they do, make jokes that may be close to the bone, they are thinking on their feet trying to entertain an audience, dealing with hecklers, noising some folk up and trying generally to be funny...

That's not to say you (or I) personally find Cowan funny, but regardless, that is what he is, a comedian.

We keep getting this nowadays - comedians making a joke that someone gets offended by - and next thing it is in the papers (possibly courts).

I am geting tired of this mope-like rush to be offended - and when offended this mope-like rush to the papers or the police...

A good comedian will always offend folk at times - always go close to the bone etc - otherwise there will be no edge, nothing to challenge the audience with, nothing to make folk think etc - and of course there's the whole risk of making it up as you go along, ad libbing etc - who knows what might come out.

That is what makes comedy exciting, that balancing on the edge of what people might think can or can't be said.

So, if you are easily offended then don't go to comedy shows. Period. Just don't go.

Note: What I said above is a general point. Regarding this particular joke and points raised in this thread - of course catholics can be masons, of course catholics can be Rangers fans, of course guests at a lodge should be treated with respect, of course not all priests are paedophiles etc etc etc - all true - but if you put a comedian on stage to do comedy you have to expect some robust humour - if you want a safe and respectable night then hire a fucking choir or an abba covers band or something. Don't put a comedian on if you have folk in the room who can't take a joke...

If we keep hounding comedians for being non pc we will kill comedy. That is the problem I have with all this.

Honestly, the PC MOPEs are killing football, killing comedy, next they'll be after books and movies too.

It'll end up a fucking nanny state where nothing dangerous/interesting can ever be said... imho.

'That's not to say you (or I) personally find Cowan funny, but regardless, that is what he is, a comedian.'

Lost me there yc.....

Manti - he is paid to do the job of a comedian - hence is a comedian - but that doesn't mean he is necessarily going to appeal to everybody - we all have our individual tastes etc.

'That's not to say you (or I) personally find Cowan funny, but regardless, that is what he is, a comedian.'

Lost me there yc.....

Manti - he is paid to do the job of a comedian - hence is a comedian - but that doesn't mean he is necessarily going to appeal to everybody - we all have our individual tastes etc.

Comedians are supposed to be funny.

Cowan is less funny than many random people who you might meet, so I don't accept that he is a comedian.

If I were paid to do the job of a carpenter, would that make me one?

Lost me there yc.....

Comedians are supposed to be funny.

Cowan is less funny than many random people who you might meet, so I don't accept that he is a comedian.

If I were paid to do the job of a carpenter, would that make me one?

Ok, you don't accept he is a comedian.

I don't find him funny but I accept he is a comedian.

If you were paid to be a carpenter, over a period of time, that would indicate to me that you had a degree of ability at the job, since you remained employed as such, so yes, I would accept you were a carpenter.

It wouldn't worry me too much if you could prove you weren't though.

The general rule is you are what you do. There will be exceptions of course.