Rangers and celtc to make history with Boston friendly clash?

maxwellrfc

To be fair there are just as many Italians as there are Irish around Boston, and Foxboro is a good deal out of the city. I just think that the pros far outweigh the cons, but that comes from someone who would actually go to the match.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would we be interested in playing a game we don't have to play to raise money for Celtic?

Because if it's part of a tour of a few cities it helps raise Rangers profile.

On top of that, this is probably the only real chance people like me will ever have of seeing a Rangers/Celtic match in person, so friendly or not this would be something I'd really look forward to seeing.

No such thing as a friendly...

Anyway, let's be realistic here. This is a great idea for us to 'market' ourselves. We've always screamed about the lack of USA initiatives. Well, the door has been opened for us. Let's use it. And if we need to hammer Celtc in a 'friendly', to effect that goal, so be it.

GERS also playing in Miami and NYC it seems? Going to be a great summer if this all works out!

Agree with this. This is a great chance to "market" ourselves over in the US. And lets be honest, playing "sellic" there, would create a lot of interest, as it's one of the biggest derbies in the world. I'm all for it.

Why don't we do the eastern/chinese thing, get a 'ji sung park' in then play a big fuck off prestige game in Tokyo or Whatsahuma or somewhere and sell a million or 2 shirts, and get the sons of nippon visiting Ibrox in their droves.

Simples :uk:

Yes..its not a particularly great idea from our point of view. I think Boston is well known as an Irish/American strnghold, and with the bheggars likely to be flaunting their 'Irishness' its clear to me who will be the favourites of the locals.

I wouldnt call it a neutral venue.

Yeah this is my main gripe with the proposal. I'm not against us playing a game at Gillette stadium, but I'd rather see us play the New England Revs or a game against a premiership team like Chelsea or Arsenal. I just think that playing against Celtic in Boston is just pandering to them, as they will hog all the exposure, and gain a lot more from it than us.

No lie. I would also put money on the fact that some would go out of their way to make Rangers look bad to the media here. There are also a couple of sportswriters working for the Boston Globe that I truly believe would take great delight in showing us in an un-favourable light (Dan Shaughnessy and Bob Ryan, by name).

Daily Mail (London, England), The, July 12, 2002 | by Roddy Thomson

RODDY THOMSON

GIANTS STADIUM soccer chiefs have been forced to issue a grovelling apology to Rangers after special ticket deals for New York-based Celtic fans attending tomorrow's game with River Plate raised security fears.

The glamour friendly is being staged as the main course in a doubleheader following the MLS match between the New York MetroStars and Chicago Fire, a team close to Dick Advocaat's heart.

MetroStars marketing manager Maya Mallan sought to boost the crowd by emailing the New York and New Jersey Celtic supporters clubs network, urging members to show Rangers - who started their tour with a 3-0 win over College All-Stars last night - 'who rules in NYC'.

There are tens of thousands of registered Celtic fans in the Big Apple, and Mallan wrote: 'There is an anti-Rangers campaign set to take place on July 13 and 20 (when Rangers play Santos of Brazil at the same venue).

'Give me a call and we can figure out what's best for you guys. I'm getting in touch with other large Celtic supporters' groups in New York - so hopefully you can fill a section of the stadium and show Rangers who rules in NYC.' Notices have also gone up

in the hundreds of Irish bars dotted around Manhattan.

However, Mallan's sneaky sales tactics have caused her bosses acute embarrassment and a full retraction has now been made.

Mallan stated: 'I'd like to sincerely apologise to all those I've offended with my anti-Rangers campaign.

'I realise now it was completely inappropriate.

'I was aware rivalry existed - but I did not fully appreciate the history and background.

'It was not my intention to incite anger - solely to build up interest in the match.' Some 2,000 Rangers fans are expected at the game, which now seems certain to attract substantial numbers of Celtic supporters. Rangers security chief Laurence Macintyre is liaising with local authorities to minimise the potential for unrest.

Rangers' victory over the College All- Stars select at Rutgers University came virtue of a Lorenzo Amoruso headed opener. Michael Mols then doubled their advantage just before halftime, before Bert Konterman announced his return from injury with the third.

Just remembered this. :ph34r:

Record reporting that its agreed.

Apr 22 2010 Keith Jackson

Rangers and Celtic will split a £1million jackpot after agreeing to stage a unique Old Firm derby in the USA this summer.

Record Sport can confirm talks over the proposed showdown in Boston have reached an advanced stage and a date - late in July - has already been agreed in principle. The news comes hot on the heels of both clubs' appearance on Forbes Magazine's Football Rich List which was announced last night.

Celtic are 23rd on the list - which is based on figures from the 2008-09 season - while Rangers come in at 25th behind Man United who top the list ahead of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Bayern Munich.

The Old Firm have huge appeal in the States and each club will rake in a fee of around £500,000 plus expenses for the one-off friendly.

The American organisers are confident they can sell out the 70,000 capacity Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts for what would be a historic event as the clubs have never faced each other outside Glasgow .

Rangers are current y putting together details of their pre-season schedule but are expected to announce glamour matches in Miami and New York.

Celtic will also travel across the pond for a Battle of Britain clash with Manchester United in Toronto and hope to announce friendlies against two Major League Soccer outfits during their tour.

The Parkhead side will then extend their stay to take on their oldest rivals in one final summer money spinner before rushing home to prepare for the first leg of their Champions League qualifiers which takes place on July 27.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/04/22/1m-old-firm-jackpot-as-rangers-and-celtic-agree-to-meet-in-boston-86908-22203130/

I can't understand why people would be so against it because it's a friendly.

Do you actually think it would be played at friendly pace with friendly tackles? Come on.....

We need to raise the profile of the club abroad and there's no better way of doing that than having a Rangers-Celtic match out with Scotland.

I can't understand why people would be so against it because it's a friendly.

Do you actually think it would be played at friendly pace with friendly tackles? Come on.....

We need to raise the profile of the club abroad and there's no better way of doing that than having a Rangers-Celtic match out with Scotland.

For me it just feels like another tradition comes tumbling down as football in general and our club in particular sell their soul to try and make ends meet.....

A "friendly" with Celtic played in Boston feels unclean, feels like we are whoring our wares for the benefit of a quick buck... I accept that it is a good marketing event and that it will spread our reputation but for me "glamour friendlies" should be between teams that would not ordinarily meet each other. .... We meet that mob a minimum of 4 times a season and sometimes 5 or 6..... I don''t want to be associated with them anymore than is necessary.... they are scum, we spend all year saying what an embarrassment of a club they are and then as soon as there is some cash on offer we want to benefit from our association with them... just feels wrong...

They'll play it at Gillette Stadium, 20 miles south of Boston. I'm actually living in Rhode Island currently, so it's a short ride for me. I hope a lot of North American bears show up for this one.

To be fair there are just as many Italians as there are Irish around Boston, and Foxboro is a good deal out of the city.

There is still an Irish immigrant community in Boston. I met them all the time when I was living up there, and they have events, sports leagues, newspapers, etc... The vast majority of Italians in the area are at least 2nd generation, most are 4th/5th. Well over 90% of the "Italians" that were celebrating the World Cup win in the streets can't speak the language.

But the thing is, there are 2-3 strong Celtic pubs up in Boston. That doesn't make for a partisan crowd. However, it's "cool" to be Irish. There's a ton of Notre Dame football fans around here and they play in Indiana. So, those types will don the green and and pack the stadium in July.

I'm just glad Ted Kennedy is dead and won't be stealing the spotlight. John Kerry will try to do it, but he'll fuck something up like asking where about in Ireland Celtic play and we'll all laugh.

Lastly, this:

Pause at 4 secs, the guy in the Dempsey shirt is me. :)

To be fair there are just as many Italians as there are Irish around Boston, and Foxboro is a good deal out of the city.

There is still an Irish immigrant community in Boston. I met them all the time when I was living up there, and they have events, sports leagues, newspapers, etc... The vast majority of Italians in the area are at least 2nd generation, most are 4th/5th. Well over 90% of the "Italians" that were celebrating the World Cup win in the streets can't speak the language.

But the thing is, there are 2-3 strong Celtic pubs up in Boston. That doesn't make for a partisan crowd. However, it's "cool" to be Irish. There's a ton of Notre Dame football fans around here and they play in Indiana. So, those types will don the green and and pack the stadium in July.

I'm just glad Ted Kennedy is dead and won't be stealing the spotlight. John Kerry will try to do it, but he'll fuck something up like asking where about in Ireland Celtic play and we'll all laugh.

Lastly, this:

Pause at 4 secs, the guy in the Dempsey shirt is me. smile.gif

hehe I was to the right of you but near the top of the stand. (tu)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8635171.stm

I can't tell you how excited I would be to actually be able to get to see them, friendly or not.

You show offs with your whole living in Scotland-can get season tickets-sing the songs- get pissed afterwards-bask in a victory glow, hmph.

Best I get is a large screen TV in my own home with the volume down so's not to wake up anyone.

So yay for us!

It's only a 15-20 min drive for you to come down to your local RSC from Clermont and watch the games with like minded bears and get a few beers and the occational sing song there. Much better than watching at home on your own

Mad props, dude. I've loved that picture for years. Trust, me I know all about the Irish population--I go to school with most of them, who decide to come up to Maine for college instead of staying in Mass. I'm not saying it would be an even crowd, but I'd love to get a crack at silencing them at Gillette.

Lastly, this:

Pause at 4 secs, the guy in the Dempsey shirt is me. :)

I really don't think many of our American fans who seem so excited about this game really understand the degree of hate between the 2 teams. I have lived in the States for 20 years now and although all my mates know me as a fanatical blue nose none of them could understand the feeling until I took 3 of them to Ibrox for a Killie game when we came over for a golf holiday. We were in the Broomloan not far from the Killie fans and they thought it was outrageous the banter between the 2 sets of fans. They would have shit if it was a micks game.

I really don't think many of our American fans who seem so excited about this game really understand the degree of hate between the 2 teams. I have lived in the States for 20 years now and although all my mates know me as a fanatical blue nose none of them could understand the feeling until I took 3 of them to Ibrox for a Killie game when we came over for a golf holiday. We were in the Broomloan not far from the Killie fans and they thought it was outrageous the banter between the 2 sets of fans. They would have shit if it was a micks game.

Some might not understand, but it's definitely not correct or fair for you to think that all American supporters don't understand. A lot of us have either come from Scotland or have been to matches in Scotland. Yes, we might not experience it first hand a lot of the time, but that in no way means we don't get it.

The bottom line is that despite the obvious setbacks to the general nature of the fixture, it would be a great promotional tool for the club and a great chance for blue noses in the States to strut their stuff. Frankly, I don't care who the match is against, but the promoters who want to put it on obviously know how big of a sell such a fixture would be in that part of the country.

I think it's a great way for American/Scottish expats to be able to see the team live, but I still agree with the people who are complaining about the tradition of the fixture, and their reservations about seeing it played outwith Glasgow.

I am not a big fan of this idea. Boston just seems like the absolute most one sided location ever.

If something like this was to be done, you'd think it would be in a place that would not involve having thousands of Bears travelling into such a 'Celtic' friendly atmosphere.

I really wouldn't expect the Boston police to be able to deal with this if it got ugly. NARSA emotions on it are mixed. Great to be able to travel to a game in North America, but the location of the proposed meeting is highly suspect.