Just Watch Lafferty Go Now

Stu1993

By Lindsay Herron

BATTERED from pillar to post by his critics and clearly unhelpful to himself at times, Kyle Lafferty emerged as a key man in the closing stretch of the Championship race which ended in glory last weekend.

He scored vital goals against Aberdeen and Hearts in the last two weeks coupling them with decent performances and then scored the goal that clinched the crown at Easter Road on Sunday.

As far as first team coach Kenny McDowall is concerned it could be the launchpad for Lafferty that will make him into a more consistent performer next season.

He said: "I'm pleased for Kyle because not only did he score a good goal he ran himself into the ground.

"He loves it at Rangers and he so badly wants to become a great Ranger.

"Hopefully his performances in recent weeks have given him a head of steam to go into next season when he can be even better.

"Ally has been working closely with him trying to help realise his potential and Kyle is dying to do well so hopefully we can now see the best of him."

For McDowall it was a relief to finally achieve success having been told from all quarters that the title was all over weeks ago.

He said: "We are delighted to get over the line because it has seemed like an eternity. For the last six weeks everyone has been telling us that the title has been won but when you are involved in football you know it's never as easy as that.

"To be fair to Celtic they kept the pressure on us but our lads responded and although it wasn't a great performance at Easter Road we got the win we wanted.

"They started well, dug in and got a great goal and then saw out the match so we are so pleased to get there.

"We have produced a lot of success in three years but it's Rangers and trophies are expected at this club.

"We are delighted for the supporters because it means everything to them."

Rangers have only lost two matches in the campaign which speaks volumes for the grit and determination in the squad, especially when some players have only been involved fleetingly.

McDowall says everyone has played his part in this success. He said: "We needed the whole squad this season to win the title and I wouldn't like to single out anybody.

"We have obviously had big players throughout the campaign but you still need the guys who come in on a cold Tuesday night and do a shift for you.

"These are guys who want to be playing every week but their attitude has been immense when called upon.

"We have had some big results in the campaign but basically every point you pick up goes a long way to winning the title.

"We have had some fantastic performances home and away and Sunday typified that. Easter Road is never easy and Hibs have had a good season but we went there and won 1-0.

"There is no doubt December was a great period for us when we also scored a lot of goals and it set us up for the second half of the campaign.

"I think overall we have been the best team and we deserve to be champions."

Hes been more than average in the last 4 games. If he can play like that each game he gives us alot more than Boyd does. I Just thought alot more people would get behidn the man and not slate him as usual.

i have always thought the man had talent ive said it for ages. He even said himself in an interview on sunday he feels he plays alot better for NI As the pressure is less than playing for a club like rangers. And recentley he has just calmed down and focused on his football, and it is starting to pay off. maybe he would do better if the fans supported him and not jamp on his back everytime he over hits a pass.

i have always thought the man had talent ive said it for ages. He even said himself in an interview on sunday he feels he plays alot better for NI As the pressure is less than playing for a club like rangers. And recentley he has just calmed down and focused on his football, and it is starting to pay off. maybe he would do better if the fans supported him and not jamp on his back everytime he over hits a pass.

He's not lying there, for NI he has always been one of my favourite players.

Ever since his goal against Sweden :pipe:

He's coming good lately for Rangers, hopefully he can find abit of consistancy now.

He's a hard worker and that always gives someone a chance.

He is lucky to get a 2nd chance after some of his antics but if he keeps working he cam be an asset.

Besides I'd love to see the robot dance at the San giro next week

He's coming good lately for Rangers, hopefully he can find abit of consistancy now.

Agree mate thats why i have always said he has talent, i think people also forget he is 22 and came with a very high price tag for our current financial state. He has started too cool down and work with ally, who i bet has made him screw the head on and told him what is needed to make it here. there is no doubt he has talent and the longer he stays in the team and plays the way he has been the better he will be IMO.

I can picture it now.

30 yard screamer against Celtic next Tuesday flies into top corner.

He runs in front of the Celtic fans with that wee studio just above them, Charlie Nicholas fucking fuming and Ali Douglas fingering herself over Kyle :praise:

Hopefully Mhick McCarthy is still interested (tu)

He's done well in recent weeks, one or two good halves of football, worked hard, and scored a couple of cracking goals.

Overall, he's been a poor signing, 5 good games a season (if that!?) is not good enough. He had the chance to push on from the end of last season, and he failed to do so.

I still don't see him as a striker - he's not a goalscorer, a target man, not provider, and he's certainly not a left/right sided midfielder/winger. Squad player at best.

Agree mate thats why i have always said he has talent, i think people also forget he is 22 and came with a very high price tag for our current financial state. He has started too cool down and work with ally, who i bet has made him screw the head on and told him what is needed to make it here. there is no doubt he has talent and the longer he stays in the team and plays the way he has been the better he will be IMO.

agree :wink::praise:

Champions.jpg