Boyd, Novo and Broadfoot to decide on future this week

Walter Smith has confirmed that the futures of goal machine Kris Boyd, fans favourite Nacho Novo and Scotland cap Kirk Broadfoot will be more clear as the week progresses.

All three players have been offered new deals with the club and the gaffer has said that the club are expecting to go back to the players' agents this week to find out if the players are going to commit their futures to Rangers.

There has been much speculation about where the future of all three players lies, each having being linked with moves away from the club with Boyd being touted for a move to the EPL and Novo and Broadfoot both being tipped to join Strachan at Boro to further add to his ex-SPL army he's putting together.

It does seem however that the most likely to not be plying his trade in the SPL next season is Kris Boyd as there has been strong rumour that he has already verbally agreed a deal to move to Birmingham as he has been free to talk about a move and contract since the start of January.

Novo is loved by the club and the supporters, so it would be a sad day to see the little man who wears his heart on his sleave leaving for pastures new - however it does seem that he too might be leaving as there have been similar rumours to Boyd that he has not been happy with the terms that have been placed infront of him.

Broadfoot is the only player of the three whose future could perhaps be more linked to him wishing to leave to secure first team football as he has not really had the chance to cement some of his fine form that he showed last season. With Papac and Whittaker being so integral to Rangers success this season, it's hard to see where Kirk would fit in next season other than stepping in to cover injury and suspension.

However Boyd, Broadfoot and Novo are not the only players whose contracts are due to end this season as club captain David Weir, yank winger DaMarcus Beasley and Murray Park graduate Steven Smith all run down their deals.

From that three it's only Steven Smith that has decided his own future and said that he needs to move on from the team he loves in order to gain the first team football that he craves. Beasley's future is a little more uncertain as it's believed that the American has not been offered a new deal and will surely have to move on to somewhere new.

The future of club captain Davie Weir is more up in the air as the now annual chat he has with Smith over his future looms on the horizon. The cerebral defender will have to make a decision in one of three ways; 1) does he stay on at Rangers for another season, 2) does he retire from the game (which would be a travesty given his form this season) or 3) does he leave Rangers and move to a club in England to be nearer his family.

Davie will know himself what is best for him, however I'm sure that if he decides that he wants one last crack at Champions League football, there will be a contract on offer for him to continue his fantastic leadership from this year.

In many ways it's squeeky bum time for Rangers and it's supporters.

It's believed that the ownership posturing is beginning to come to a climax with Ellis expected to formally make an offer in the near future whilst other strutting peacocks are ruffling their feathers without making any firm bids. Once ownership is sorted, everything else will fall like dominoes. If we get a new owner, Smith will sign a contract placed infront of him and then many of his loyal players will follow suit.

Totally agree with you Papaguy. Broadfoot is one player we should be looking to move on, I can understand with the uncertainty surrounding our financial state and the slight possibility we can't sign anyone that we should keep a hold of him. I do think if the board made it clear we could sign players then we should be looking to sell Broadfoot.

I like Novo and he does seem to pop up with important goals. Thing is Walter will be offering him a new contract to be a bit part player which is unfair on him.

Kris Boyd scores goals, his overall ability isn't great. He has shown he can play well but not often enough and for the most part looks lazy. He does score goals though.

In all honesty we should have players of a higher quality at this club, but we don't have the cash. I would happy for Boyd and Novo to stay.

I hope Broadfoot decides that his future lies elsewhere, although he should be flattered that we're even offering him a deal.

Not good enough for our club IMO.

He was good enough to get us to a European Final.. Little harsh i think

I hope Broadfoot decides that his future lies elsewhere, although he should be flattered that we're even offering him a deal.

Not good enough for our club IMO.

He was good enough to get us to a European Final.. Little harsh i think

Harsh? Honestly?

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Not too bothered if Broadfoot or Novo go.

Would rather Boyd stays, but it isn't the end of the world if he does go, it's his fault if he struggles down south.

wouldnt be that disappointed if broadfoot left, i dont think hes good enough. The only thing that would concern me if he did go though is that stevie smith is virtually a cert to be going as well. That would leave us with no experienced cover in both full back positions.( super lee could probably play either though :craphead: ) We will be given limited funds in the summer but will full back positions be a priority? I highly doubt it and i wouldnt like to go into a new season with only one player for left and right back as well as a few kids. Boyd i hope stays as hes a proven spl goalscorer. Wee nacho will probably be no more than a squad/impact player but i wouldnt quite like him to stay as well.

Broadfoot should be kept, more than good enough for the spl and has proven himself in Europe as well. Shouldn't be a first choice but a good enough to be in our squad.

If he decides he wants to be a 1st team footballer elsewhere, he's still relatively young and there is a good chance he still has a bit of improvement in him

It will be good to get these contracts sorted one way or another! (tu)

i agree (tu), im not to fussed on Broadfoot or Novo, id like Boyd to stay but if he doesn't then aw well, at least we'll know a bit better what wages we will have spare to bring in a couple of signings for next season, there's still good players out of contract in the summer that we should be looking at

Broadfoot is a useful squad player.

We'd probably need to sign two players to replace somebody with his experience and versatility.

Ditto Novo.

This he is a backup who can play all across the back line and has experience of playing at the highest level.

We'd be skint buying someone who had played international football, european football and played across the back.

Keep Boyd.. simple.

Novo.. No.

Broadfoot.. only on the same wages.. perhaps 2-3% more... Decent enough to fill in in a few positions.

What positions would they be?

RB, CB. Did ok yesterday...

Keep Boyd.. simple.

Novo.. No.

Broadfoot.. only on the same wages.. perhaps 2-3% more... Decent enough to fill in in a few positions.

The thought of Broadfoot at CB is worrying.

Keep Boyd.. simple.

Novo.. No.

The thought of Broadfoot at CB is worrying.

A wee bit aye.. But I would only keep him around as a squad player. He will -- at least -- put in a shift.

Although had some decent performances at RB this year as well.. as last year. So.. not as bad as some make him out to be .. but not a starting 11 player for The Rangers.

BOYD- Hope he stays his goals are important, If he goes I believe it wont be the last time we see him playing for Rangers

WEIR- One more year if you want big man, he's still breezing the SPL

NOVO- Sentimental new contract if we can afford to keep him based on that

SMITH- Good luck you deserve some

BROADFOOT- Not in a position to mull over a contract its a no brainer so cheerio we have Perry, Little and McMillan all suitable cover

BEASLEY- Does not justify his wages and is not suited to the SPL