Liverpool and Danny Wilson

Chef

by Richard Buxton. Published Thu 27 May 2010 12:14, Last updated: 2010-05-27

Danny Wilson's proposed move to Anfield is back on track despite the defender being ineligible under the Premier League's home-grown rule.

Negotiations between the Reds and Glasgow Rangers had stalled after it emerged that the centre-back would not qualify as a home-grown player under the new guidelines which require a minimum of eight home-grown players, with under-21s spending a minimum of three years at any English or Welsh club, per squad.

But this has undeterred Liverpool who have resumed talks over a move for Wilson following the SPL champions' rejection of a £2million offer in May.

Rangers are keen to cash in on Wilson as they face the threat of him leaving Ibrox next summer on a free transfer after failing to tie him to a new deal.

According to reports in Scotland, Walter Smith is holding out for a fee of £5million for the highly-rated 18-year-old.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope the club stand its groud. How often have we sold players on the cheap only for their value to jump e.g.charlie adam, ross mccormack etc.

I just dont get why he would leave a club like Rangers to go into liverpool reserves. he could establish himself in the rangers side, play champions league football then leave in a couple of years on good terms, earn the club a fair bit and demand an even bigger contract to whatever liverpool are proposing now. It appears he is only interested in making as much money as he can in the short term with little regard to his long term future, with absolutley no loyalty shown to the club who gave him his opportunity. He's apparantly this sensible lad, but taking an unnecessary gamble so early in his career does not seem sensible to me.

He's in the final year of his contract, we play in Scotland, we don't have two of the biggest clubs in England fighting for his signature - we are not going to get anywhere near what Fulham got for Chris Smalling, so he should not be used as an example.

He's in the final year of his contract, we play in Scotland, we don't have two of the biggest clubs in England fighting for his signature - we are not going to get anywhere near what Fulham got for Chris Smalling, so he should not be used as an example.

Yes, but Wilson also has Champions League experience.

We should still be looking at some of the similarities the two share and bringing it (Wilsons value) down to the level we are at and could say £4M+ is a deal good for us

Two games, hardly experience.

Again, he's in the final year of his contract, he plays in Scotland, and there are not a number of teams battling for his signature. We won't get big money for him - he should have been tied down on a longer contract before a ball was kicked in the 2009/10 season!

Two games, hardly experience.

Again, he's in the final year of his contract, he plays in Scotland, and there are not a number of teams battling for his signature. We won't get big money for him - he should have been tied down on a longer contract before a ball was kicked in the 2009/10 season!

chillex :lol:

I think its ok for a 17 year old.

I can see the reason that Walter/Rangers board want a reported 5 million for him,but I'll be amazed if we get anywhere like that sort of fee for him.I'd be more inclined to think that a fee of around 2-2.5million would be brokered with a fair whack of add-on fees written into the deal.

Wilson is being badly advised in all of this and it could be the biggest faux pas he will ever make because it's making him look like a money grabbing little crunt.If he doesn't want to sign a new deal, get him to fuck out of the door immediately for as much as we can get for him, or stick him on the subs bench for the reserves and let him rot there until his contract runs out.

I just hope if boughie does go it's when Walter is in charge, as I think it's fair to say Sir Walter has a good eye for a cracking centre back:D Wouldn't want to leave it to Ally to replace boughie.

As for Wilson, Why don't we just say to liverpool " Give us £3m-£4m and send him back to us on loan for the season"?

I think that would be completely reasonable for a lad at his age with his obvious talent and potential.

its a tough one. We want to get the best possible fee for him but at the same time dont want them to walk away and get him for next to nothing next year. If he has any sense he would stay here for another couple of years where he is far more likely to get first team experience and then head down south when hes in his 20s if thats what he wants. Even though hes a fantastic prospect i just cant see him getting that much first team experience down there with carragher skrtel and agger already there.