Come On England

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty indifferent about it to be honest. if they play well and show they can play good football then I'll be wanting them to do well. They were rubbish at the last WC and got lucky with their opponents. They always seem to get favourable draws as well I find. Its the jingoism of the English media I cant stand especially from ITV and that turns me right off. If they had rangers players in the squad then they would have my support but they dont. I always support teams which have Rangers players in them so when they play the US and A, I am afraid I will not be cheering England on.

It's become so commercial the TV companies and the media are pushing it so much because the supermarkets are making so much money out of the beer sales ,flags,food, barbecue, etc. I don't think it would be any different if Scotland qualified, the supermarkets and the media in Scotland would be overdoing it, just like they're doing down here.

Regarding England's chances of winning the World Cup, a lot of people I speak to down here realise that England are not playing well, and a quarter final would be a realistic result for England. Your right at the last world cup England performances were really poor. Also the only people who ever mention 1966 down here, are the London media and Scottish people on radio phone-In's. Most young people round my way couldn't even tell you who Geoff Hurst, Bobby Moore and the rest were.

I'll be supporting England as always, though of course reserve the right to laugh at them when they inevitably go out. Such is my complex nature.

if you are under the delusion that England and Scotland are some sort of 'rivals'.

i was always under the impression that they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!are they not? :blush:

They were, but we're not really competing with each other nowadays.

Some folk still cling to the past though....

if you are under the delusion that England and Scotland are some sort of 'rivals'.

i was always under the impression that they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!are they not? :blush:

whilst i agree that we are no longer rivals. it is quite ironic how bias the english press still are against germany!

anyway, i wont be supporting england because im in the USA this summer over the world cup. at the same time though, i wont be willing england to lose.

I'll be supporting England as always, though of course reserve the right to laugh at them when they inevitably go out. Such is my complex nature.

I'm much the same.

I have to laugh at the media reaction when England go out.

But I am uncomplicated.

whilst i agree that we are no longer rivals. it is quite ironic how bias the english press still are against germany!

It is ironic, particularly as the Germans generally don't care about England, their rivals are The Netherlands.

Wont be supporting England, but wont be cheering on everyone they play either, couldn't care less if they win or not.

Though cant understand people on here getting all worked up about people either supporting England or desperate to see them get pumped. Its up to them and doesn't make them any more/less of a bear whatever there view is.

Only people I'd say were out of order is if we had any English members who weren't supporting their national team, but I'd be shocked if that was the case.

I wish the England team well in the tournament and would like to see that group of players win it just as much as any other.

But i have to say, whenever it comes to watching England a part of me does hope they lose or draw simply because the reaction of the media and pundits is comical. It just cracks me up the way the newspapers and television programmes go way over the top with criticism.

Can always remember Ian Wright calling the whole team a "disgrace to the shirt" after they lost to Portugal on penalties. :lol:

But the way some of the "uber-Scots" react to anyone wishing England well is baffling. Apparently you can't be Scottish unless you hate England and the English. Morons.

I wish the England team well in the tournament and would like to see that group of players win it just as much as any other.

But i have to say, whenever it comes to watching England a part of me does hope they lose or draw simply because the reaction of the media and pundits is comical. It just cracks me up the way the newspapers and television programmes go way over the top with criticism.

Can always remember Ian Wright calling the whole team a "disgrace to the shirt" after they lost to Portugal on penalties. :lol:

But the way some of the "uber-Scots" react to anyone wishing England well is baffling. Apparently you can't be Scottish unless you hate England and the English. Morons.

Agreed, fine if you've got English mates and its just a wind-up though.

Wonder if the English react the same to some of their fans who dont hate Germany? I would have said Scotland but tbh reckon we're to shit for them even to bother caring!

I hope they get fucking humped in every single game. Fucking hate the way they spoil a big event like this with there constant talk about the England team.

You are watching British television you mug, of course the only participating home nation will get more coverage than any other team. Do you think the Spanish, German and French media give equal airtime to discussing all the others teams in the tournament as their own? <cr>

I hope they get fucking humped in every single game. Fucking hate the way they spoil a big event like this with there constant talk about the England team.

You are watching British television you mug, of course the home nation will get more coverage than any other team. Do you think the Spanish, German and French media give equal airtime to discussing all the others teams in the tournament compared to their own? <cr>

Name calling, big man.

Yes British tv, not English. Plus it's the world cup, would be nice to hear something about the other teams.

You are watching British television you mug, of course the home nation will get more coverage than any other team. Do you think the Spanish, German and French media give equal airtime to discussing all the others teams in the tournament compared to their own? <cr>

Name calling, big man.

Yes British tv, not English. Plus it's the world cup, would be nice to hear something about the other teams.

So you want them to talk about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on a World Cup show, despite them not being in it? Great logic. <cr>

You hear plenty about the other teams, you just choose to ignore it to suit your agenda, big boy.

Name calling, big man.

So you want them to talk about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on a World Cup show, despite them not being in it? Great logic. <cr>

You hear plenty about the other teams, you just choose to ignore it to suit your agenda, big boy.

Just don't Blue, you can't argue with some people. :wink:

I struggle to wish England any success, whoever thinks that their playing for the Union is deluded :sherlock:

However, as a Scot in England, I shall not be so vocal about my loyalties. To be honest, i'll watch the whole tournament as a neutral. If England played the best football i'd happily support them. But they won't, so i'd rather back the Dutch or Spain who play football thats a joy to watch at times :pipe:

Yeah, the Auld Enemy aren't our rivals any more because we very rarely play them. Good one.

How often do West Ham & Millwall compete nowadays?

I struggle to wish England any success, whoever thinks that their playing for the Union is deluded :sherlock:

However, as a Scot in England, I shall not be so vocal about my loyalties. To be honest, i'll watch the whole tournament as a neutral. If England played the best football i'd happily support them. But they won't, so i'd rather back the Dutch or Spain who play football thats a joy to watch at times :pipe:

As do Argentina. :sherlock: