Jelavic has arrived at Murray Park

Mansion

RANGERS were last night facing another stumbling block in their pursuit of Rapid Vienna's Nikica Jelavic with the hit-man demanding a staggering £20,000 a week in wages.

Although the clubs have all but agreed a £4m transfer deal the move hit the buffers again when the Croation international asked for an improvement on the personal terms already on the table believed to be worth around £60,000 a month with bonuses.

But with boss Walter Smith'a patience wearing thin over the chase for Jelavic's signature he yesterday despatched assistant Ally McCoist to watch the USA V Brazil friendly match in New York tomorrow night to check on other possible targets.

Twenty four year old Jelavic insists he still wants to move to Ibrox as a possible stepping stone to the Premiership but unless he is signs before Rapid face Aston Villa next week then he would be ruled out of playing for Rangers in the Champions League group stages putting any switch in further jeopardy.

The striker who scored again at the weekend in his clubs' 2- 0 win over Sturm Graz has told friends that while he is keen to move to Scotland he won't be sold short and is willing to hold on for a better offer or see out his contract in Austria.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain who flew a second time to Vienna last weekend is now mulling over new proposals put forward by Jelavic's agent before deciding whether to increase their offer or walk away for a second time following the rejection of winger Chris Eagles over his excessive wage demands.

VIENNA sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl has meanwhile confirmed a deal is not imminent adding : " Rangers remain a long way from signing Jelavic.There are still too many points that are open, even from player's side.To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if a deal can go through at all.

"As long as the transfer window is open, these issues and themes will always be on the table."

RANGERS were last night facing another stumbling block in their pursuit of Rapid Vienna's Nikica Jelavic with the hit-man demanding a staggering £20,000 a week in wages.

Although the clubs have all but agreed a £4m transfer deal the move hit the buffers again when the Croation international asked for an improvement on the personal terms already on the table believed to be worth around £60,000 a month with bonuses.

But with boss Walter Smith'a patience wearing thin over the chase for Jelavic's signature he yesterday despatched assistant Ally McCoist to watch the USA V Brazil friendly match in New York tomorrow night to check on other possible targets.

Twenty four year old Jelavic insists he still wants to move to Ibrox as a possible stepping stone to the Premiership but unless he is signs before Rapid face Aston Villa next week then he would be ruled out of playing for Rangers in the Champions League group stages putting any switch in further jeopardy.

The striker who scored again at the weekend in his clubs' 2- 0 win over Sturm Graz has told friends that while he is keen to move to Scotland he won't be sold short and is willing to hold on for a better offer or see out his contract in Austria.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain who flew a second time to Vienna last weekend is now mulling over new proposals put forward by Jelavic's agent before deciding whether to increase their offer or walk away for a second time following the rejection of winger Chris Eagles over his excessive wage demands.

VIENNA sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl has meanwhile confirmed a deal is not imminent adding : " Rangers remain a long way from signing Jelavic.There are still too many points that are open, even from player's side.To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if a deal can go through at all.

"As long as the transfer window is open, these issues and themes will always be on the table."

The setback came as McCoist jetted to New York alongwith Maurice Edu to monitor several players in the international friendly. Pacy left sided mid-fielder Alejandro Bedoya who currently plays for Swedish side Orebro and 25 year old Brazilian born playmaker Benny Feilhaber of Danish outfit Aarhus are on the radar.

Both would jump at the chance to further their careers in Scotland but Smith is adamant that he needs to be sure that he adds quality rather than just numbers to his squad for the new season.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/192304/Nikica-Jelavic-demands-20-000-a-week-in-wages

:anguish:

£4M for the guy? Really? I've got total faith in Walter, but this deal has jumped up from the original £2M price which was quoted.

I've not really kept up to date with this after wasting the past two summers on forums awaiting the arrivals of Bresciano, Gattuso, Alan Smith and so on, but this seems to have dragged on.

I don't understand why a transfer has to be so complicated, especially in comparison to other clubs' business.

I think this looks fucked tbh, considering how long its dragged on for I really can't see him coming our way.

I'd love to see him in a Gers top but can't help thinking we've wasted our time, hopefully it won't be last day rushed shite we sign again

on a side note, Brazil and USA players? Yes please :wink:

How professional is it to trumpet every one of our moves in advance?

This stinks of Bain having been sent off on a wild goose chase.

Jelavic?

My bet is Goodwillie and Craig Bryson.

And another senior player leaving before the weekend. :anguish:

Don't bother with the Timmy crap. That's just my guess after the way the rest of the pre-season has gone.

We are going to have to be VERY lucky with injuries and suspensions because we have a great first 13 or so but no strength in depth whatsoever.

Just remember that in 1982-83 Dundee United won the league with 14 players.

And who was Jim McLean's assistant manager that season? :wink:

Well im sure he wont sign now, yet another pathetic performance Rangers to be honest , this has been going on weeks now and it is going to be all for nothing. We are going to go into Saturday with fuck all new players now theres a surprise,so much for signing players Bain , we need them now not last minute desperate panci buys as usual. Well fucking done

why not just give him it. id rather give him £20k a week than Boyd. We have come too far now for this too fail. The Eagles deals was news for about a week. We have put too much effort to try and get this guy and I believe we will get him. Walter will give him what he wants (within reason) the only real problem is getting Rapid to pay what they owe him.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

why not just give him it. id rather give him £20k a week than Boyd. We have come too far now for this too fail. The Eagles deals was news for about a week. We have put too much effort to try and get this guy and I believe we will get him. Walter will give him what he wants (within reason) the only real problem is getting Rapid to pay what they owe him.

Where would we stop. What stops Davis demanding a pay rise?

I hope so mate, we must also remember these demands are comming from his agent, he wouldn't be doing his job right if he didn't try and get the best deal. also the fact we want him so badly, think his agent was just trying his luck,tbh

Where would we stop. What stops Davis demanding a pay rise?

whats Davis on atm mate is it 20kp/w?

I hope so mate, we must also remember these demands are comming from his agent, he wouldn't be doing his job right if he didn't try and get the best deal. also the fact we want him so badly, think his agent was just trying his luck,tbh

i suppose. have we even spoke to the player yet or just his agent? Every bear knows how much we all want this guy. This would make the last 2 years of no signings worth the wait. there is a bloody 134 page topic on him that will well go over the 200 page mark. Rangers need him and the fans so badly want him. There is too much going on with him for this to fail.

i suppose. have we even spoke to the player yet or just his agent? Every bear knows how much we all want this guy. This would make the last 2 years of no signings worth the wait. there is a bloody 134 page topic on him that will well go over the 200 page mark. Rangers need him and the fans so badly want him. There is too much going on with him for this to fail.

Well the press have it That Bain is trying to do a deal with his agent.