Wingers........are they really needed ?

ScotBear

Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than for us to sign a good winger. But can you actually name any in our budget that would be worth the risk ?

Beasley?

beasley wasn`t up to much. don`t want him back.

I`ve no problem with whittaker at right mid as I think it`s his best position.

If I was a betting man I`d put money on a left winger being bought .( to help supply jelavic )

also a defender and 2 utility guys being brought in on loans/free`s.

PS is this the same Scot Bear I sat beside all those years ago in Partick Halls at the inaugaral meeting of the RST ?

No, I've been asked this before on here actually ! I was told there is a poster on FollowFollow that uses the name ScotBear, but I'm not him. I hope he's a good guy if people are mistaking me for him !

I do as it means Kirk Broadfoot plays right back, and he is a dud.

If I was a betting man I`d put money on a left winger being bought .( to help supply jelavic )

If you were a betting man you would study form.Walter has never liked playing wingers; the width in his teams have come from one full back with the other full back usually being a central defender(McPherson,Boli,McLaren,Moore etc to give defensive balance.Inevitably a wide man upfront has been a striker with the other flank being a midfielder.

I do not expect that he wil change a lifetime habit in his last year.

Lot of truth in there SB - especially when you consider the asking price we were being quoted for Conway of Dundee Utd.

My fear is rather than play to a system that does not have wingers we try and convert players to that role - Whittaker/David etc etc. And thus dont get the best out of these players.

PS is this the same Scot Bear I sat beside all those years ago in Partick Halls at the inaugaral meeting of the RST ?

Assuming we keep Bougherra why not offer Webster in a straight exchange? :wink:

If you were a betting man you would study form.Walter has never liked playing wingers; the width in his teams have come from one full back with the other full back usually being a central defender(McPherson,Boli,McLaren,Moore etc to give defensive balance.Inevitably a wide man upfront has been a striker with the other flank being a midfielder.

I do not expect that he wil change a lifetime habit in his last year.

Thats why he tried to sign eagles ? so the form says he`s looking for a winger. we might not get one but we are looking for one.

was laudrup not a winger ?

The same kirk broadfoot that played in all the games to the uefa cup final and never got showed up by anyone.

you really need to actually watch games , like today where he never really put a foot wrong.

In all the games he has played for us I could count only a few he has been poor.

McGeady roasted him for the first 30 mins like he did against hutton then he did nothing after that.

mcdonald turning him and getting a penalty which was outside the box.

but If we looked into so much depth with every player there wouldn`t be any good player at all.

I`m sure you could pick faults in ferdinands / puyol / terry`s games but they are rated the best in the world.

Broadfoot is no world beater but people want to miss out his good points . which he has plenty.

again good game from him today but as usual no praise for him. If it`s not him it`s McCulloch getting it in the neck.

The biggest problem is too many people don`t know how to build up a team and what it needs.

And broadfoot has a big part to play as you seen today.

George Boyd, Kris Commons, Darren Ambrose, Jeffren (loan), Vladimir Weiss (loan), Scott Sinclair (loan), Cleverley (loan although its a longshot) actually play Greg Wylde.

There's more cannae be arsed thinking, but i think we need more options as well as stop playing central players out wide. There's a lot of good wide players in Spain and with many teams in financial difficulties in the La Liga i think we should be looking at players there.

Steven Davis is capable of playing out wide but his talents are wasted there therefore that's why with the sales of Ferguson, Mendes, Thomson i think Davis should definetly be played central alongside Edu or McCulloch, with Edu being my choice.

(tu)

The same kirk broadfoot that played in all the games to the uefa cup final and never got showed up by anyone.

you really need to actually watch games , like today where he never really put a foot wrong.

In all the games he has played for us I could count only a few he has been poor.

McGeady roasted him for the first 30 mins like he did against hutton then he did nothing after that.

mcdonald turning him and getting a penalty which was outside the box.

but If we looked into so much depth with every player there wouldn`t be any good player at all.

I`m sure you could pick faults in ferdinands / puyol / terry`s games but they are rated the best in the world.

Broadfoot is no world beater but people want to miss out his good points . which he has plenty.

again good game from him today but as usual no praise for him. If it`s not him it`s McCulloch getting it in the neck.

The biggest problem is too many people don`t know how to build up a team and what it needs.

And broadfoot has a big part to play as you seen today.

(tu) Every team has its unsung heroes.

Don`t particularly think we really need wingers, the game in scotland is more phisical and in your face ! Nobody can tell me beasley was great n he was an out n out winger. We`ve won 2 leagues in a row with no real wingers on show every week. So don`t really agree with your point.

Here we go, 3 in a row !

George Boyd, Kris Commons, Darren Ambrose, Jeffren (loan), Vladimir Weiss (loan), Scott Sinclair (loan), Cleverley (loan although its a longshot) actually play Greg Wylde.

There's more cannae be arsed thinking, but i think we need more options as well as stop playing central players out wide. There's a lot of good wide players in Spain and with many teams in financial difficulties in the La Liga i think we should be looking at players there.

Steven Davis is capable of playing out wide but his talents are wasted there therefore that's why with the sales of Ferguson, Mendes, Thomson i think Davis should definetly be played central alongside Edu or McCulloch, with Edu being my choice.

I think ambrose or weiss is a good shout :wink::drool: