More signings on the way? debt greatly reduced?

i'll take this with a pinch of salt.

Rangers' £4m capture of Nikica Jelavic might not be the Scottish champions' last piece of business before the closure of the transfer window.

Walter Smith had said before the Croatia striker's arrival from Rapid Vienna that there were no more funds.

But it is understood that there is still further money for the manager to use if he wishes to strengthen the squad before the transfer deadline.

Until this summer, he had not signed a player for more than two years.

Debts of more than £30m meant that Lloyds Banking Group had forced the club to implement severe cutbacks, especially in player wages.

However, figures are expected to be announced in the next month or two that will show that Rangers have wiped out a substantial amount of their debt.

Rangers have achieved this by major cuts in their playing staff and such items as cleaning bills and maintenance.

The summer departures of Kris Boyd and Kevin Thompson to Middlesbrough, Nacho Novo to Sporting Gijon and Stevie Smith to Norwich City have also reduced the wage bill.

In addition, a transfer fee was paid by Boro for midfielder Thompson.

Unlike most clubs, who have bought players in instalments, Rangers have paid up front and therefore do not have such a burden.

Rangers will also benefit from city rivals Celtic's failure to reach the Champions League group stages.

Because the national pot would have been split between the competing clubs, Rangers will not now have to share a likely £10m purse from their participation in Europe's premier club tournament.

All that means that Smith, who has been claiming about a lack of depth and experience in his squad, still has a limited amount to spend should he feel he requires to add to his squad.

Jelavic became Rangers' most expensive purchase in eight years when he completed his move from the Austrian club on Friday.

Rangers had already recruited fellow striker James Beattie from Stoke City and winger Vladimir Weiss, who arrived on loan from Manchester City.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8934340.stm

If the substantial reduction in debt is accurate then I will be very happy.

Trimming the fat seems to have worked. I long for the day when us and them (the dhirty tarried bastards) are operating on similar debts to ourselves. I hate the fact they can outmuscle us when it comes to players wages etc. I suppose however that day could already be here? The boy Weiss was a target of both us and them(the dhirty tarried bastards).

Who knows

I think it`s true. I expect it to be below £20m .

I tell you 1 thing . If we win the league this year the tims will be shitting themself .

3 in a row when you are skint ! we will be getting out of debt and will get stronger

while they are losing money hand over foot.

If this keeps up 10 in a row is on !

I wonder if this means that Celtic's 6 million pounds of debt doesn't include their transfers from this year because they are paying them up, if so things could be very messy for them next year if they don't win the league.

I wonder if this means that Celtic's 6 million pounds of debt doesn't include their transfers from this year because they are paying them up, if so things WILL be very messy for them next year WHEN they don't win the league.

Fixed for ye mate :jelavic: :jelavic:

Lemon's been told to sell before he can buy so it seems the board are either not to confident in his ability or are scared of the increasing debt.

Our net spend is around the 1-1.5mil, sales minus purchases, so maybe we've got a few million left yet?

Even if we go with the squad as is id still be confident of us doing very well in the spl and at least getting europa football after xmas

I know someone on here drew up an educated guess at what our debt would be about halfway through last season and had it sitting at around 24m or so, I think?

If we generated enough cash from season tickets, gate reciepts and non-champions league related money to cover our operating costs then the money from the Champions League and then the bonus money for playing each game in the group stages can certainly take a chunk out of the debt. Including the sale of Kevin Thomson with that money going to the debt too.

On the radio yesterday they were under the impression that *if* we somehow ended up behind Celtic by January but still in touching distance then some of the CL money could be freed up to spend.

The scum are heading for a big fall mate don't fret it .

totally agree, a lot of money going down the pan whilst they try think of something to beat walter. they wont do it this year and i dont think theyl do it year after if jela is as good as we all hope he is.

with regards to more signings, i will beleive walter first, i know he can be a shrewd critter but if he says theres no more signings then thats what i will beleive.

looking forward to our financial figures