Scotland Squad for Czech Republic and Spain

Broxi1872

Scotland squad for the Euro 2012 qualifying matches against Czech Republic and Spain:

Goalkeepers:

McGregor (Rangers)

Gilks (Blackpool)

Gordon (Sunderland)

Defenders:

Hutton (Tottenham)

Berra (Wolves)

Broadfoot (Rangers)

McManus (Middlesbrough)

G Caldwell (Wigan)

Weir (Rangers)

Whittaker (Rangers)

McEveley (Barnsley)

Midfielders:

Adam (Blackpool)

Brown (Celtic)

Dorrans (West Brom)

McCulloch (Rangers)

Fletcher (Manchester United)

Morrison (West Brom)

Robson (Middlesbrough)

Maloney (Celtic)

Strikers:

Fletcher (Wolves)

Iwelumo (Burnley)

Mackie (QPR)

Miller (Rangers)

Naismith (Rangers).

McCulloch is suspended for the first game against the Czech Republic.

Scotland boss Craig Levein has offered Kris Boyd immediate hope of a recall despite dropping the striker for the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers.

The Middlesbrough striker is the notable absentee from Levein's squad to face Czech Republic on 8th October and Spain four days later.

With Birmingham's James McFadden sidelined because of a knee injury, Levein has handed in-form QPR hot-shot Jamie Mackie a first Scotland call-up after the striker has impressed in netting eight times for the Championship pace-setters.

But Levein has left the door open for Boyd in future if his form picks up.

The Scotland boss told Sky Sports News: "If you look at the strikers that I've picked, I've picked players in form - that's basically it.

"I had a chat with Kris and explained that to him - he's a top bloke and a top goalscorer and I've no doubt that once he hits a bit of form then he'll be back involved in the squad."

Mackie availability

Mackie was born in England but qualifies to play for Scotland through his grandparents, with Levein becoming aware of his availability at the start of the season.

The Scotland boss added: "He's been watched on four separate occasions and each report has been excellent.

"You know we have been looking high and low for new players to add to the existing pool that we can pick from and Jamie's grandfather was born in Kilmarnock so he fits the criteria and we're really happy to have him on board."

Celtic midfielder Shaun Maloney has earned a recall after not being included in Levein's squad for the games against Lithuania and Liechtenstein earlier this month following an injury-ravaged campaign for the Old Firm club last season.

But the 27-year-old has come back into the reckoning after being in good form for the Hoops, including scoring twice.

Levein said: "Shaun's had a difficult time of it. I went to see him not long after I got the job, I think around about February time. He had a really terrible time last year with injuries and I still think he's got a bit to go to be honest with you, I do feel there's more to come from him but I'm really pleased that he's managed to get a number of games under his belt and he's a quality player."

Gordon included

Sunderland keeper Craig Gordon has been included in the squad after making his comeback for the club's reserves on Monday night after two months on the sidelines with a broken arm.

But Levein confirmed that Rangers keeper Allan McGregor - who has returned to the international fold since his involvement in the 'Boozegate' saga - would be continuing between the sticks against the Czechs at least.

He added: "Craig Gordon won't start the match against the Czech Republic - he's back in training, he did play a reserve match the other night and did very well and I believe that he's some way towards full fitness.

"I feel its important to get him back involved with the squad again but I've been really happy with Allan McGregor so I won't make any secret of it that Allan will be the starting goalkeeper providing everything goes well between now and the first match."

Iwelumo has been on fire this season!

7 goals, 3 assists. Been playing well aswell.

Always been a pretty solid performing Championship player, who people thought was utter pish after one miss for Scotland - not the case.

James Beattie for £1.2m (or whatever it was) or Chris Iwelumo for £500k, I know who I would have preferred.

So Allan McGregor might have the game of his life against the Czech's then get dropped to play Spain for an overrated keeper who's hardly played in a year

id imagine if he is put under pressure and thrives with a clean sheet he will be in for the spanish game, afterall he is a champions league player and not conceded

Iwelumo has been on fire this season!

A boy in my work, who follows Scotland everywhere, has been saying to me for ages that Iwelumo should be our main striker along with Steven Flecther. Can't argue with him with the form he is in for Burnley.

It's a pity that we're going up against two decent teams, as it'll mean we go with one up front.

Look at the strikers;

Fletcher (Wolves)

Iwelumo (Burnley)

Mackie (QPR)

Miller (Rangers)

Naismith (Rangers)

They are all in superb form. I'd love to see a front three but it simply won't happen!

I hate International football!

I just got a phonecall from Craig Levein... He wants me to play for Scotland as my second name is Scottish :pipe:

He is trying to call up any player who has an ounce of Scottish in them.

It's actually getting rather pathetic now.