Barcelona - Sponser Shock !

We need the money! Barcelona consider putting sponsor on their shirts for the first time

By Christopher Davies

Last updated at 10:21 AM on 9th December 2010

Cash-strapped Barcelona are seriously considering selling shirt sponsorship for the first time in a bid to net an extra £20million per year.

The Catalan club have previously refused to have a sponsor, preferring to promote UNICEF on their famous jerseys.

But the financial situation at the Camp Nou has forced Barcelona into swallowing their pride.

article-0-0C39E6D5000005DC-881_468x298.jpg You can out your shirt on us: Lionel Messi and co would attract major sponsors

Three options are under consideration: on the front of the shirt (£20m), on the back (£10m) or on the players' shorts (£5m).

The most lucrative deal would put them on a level with Manchester United and Liverpool, who signed £80m four-year-deals with AON and Standard Chartered respectively over the last 12 months.

UNICEF understands the economic needs and willingly accept any change arising from the champions of Spain. Whatever Barca's final decision UNICEF's name is almost certain to remain on the sleeves.

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell warned during the election process that all future options must be 'kept open' though the club would be willing to associate only with a

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz17enMRcMj

(excuse the ballsup in spelling in thread title <cr> )

I dont understand how they have got themselves into so much debt, 7 or 8 of their first team have came through the youth acadamy. I know the wages they have are obviously up there with the highest wage bills in world football but they also have attendances to match. I know the bought Villa for £60M but they re-couped some of that with the sale of Ibrahimovic. They knew about the money problems before they sanctioned that deal, so why did they do it? Not having a sponsor on their strip is something that they are extremely proud of. Am I correct in saying they are the only club in the world not to have ever had one? Something doesnt seem right. Where is all their money going?

I dont understand how they have got themselves into so much debt, 7 or 8 of their first team have came through the youth acadamy. I know the wages they have are obviously up there with the highest wage bills in world football but they also have attendances to match. I know the bought Villa for £60M but they re-couped some of that with the sale of Ibrahimovic. They knew about the money problems before they sanctioned that deal, so why did they do it? Not having a sponsor on their strip is something that they are extremely proud of. Am I correct in saying they are the only club in the world not to have ever had one? Something doesnt seem right. Where is all their money going?

spain is one of the worst financially stricken countries in europe just now, so its likely that even a full house isnt worth as much as you'd think

also, im not sure if this is correct though, i remember once a report that most spanish clubs dont own their stadiums, they just rent them from the local councils, so while they save on maintenance etc, they dont receive all of the attendance money,

dunno how true the second part is though

well I'm sure no ones hiding it under a bed

well I'm sure no ones hiding it under a bed

I'm just saying there seems to be something fishy going on, surely theres no way they are in so much debt that they are considering giving up something that means so much to them

Guest SandyWATP

I wonder how the hardcore fans feel about this?

I am your man.

As a hardcore fan of Barcelona, I'm disappointed, but understand the decision.

Ibrahimovic is only on loan at AC.

a know that mate, a small loan fee, probs abou £4mil

So that would probably add up to about £8M if you take his wages into account. I'm guessin Milan are paying his full wage and thats at £80,000/wk I recon he would have been on more than that though

I am your man.

As a hardcore fan of Barcelona, I'm disappointed, but understand the decision.

i imagine a hardcore fan wouldnt have two clubs, im a hardcore rangers fan and dont think i can even come close to having the same feelings towards another club, just an observation, i may admire them and seem to think i know them outside out as far as palyers go and watching them play good footy, but i couldnt be a hardcore fan of a club that aint rangers

Seen this earlier, thats some serious money

Pocket money for Qatar Foundation. I work for them and this is an amazing move. spend a bit of cash and have the biggest team in football have your name on their shirt. They are able to get their name across globally. They would struggle to do so any other way.

This will also open the world to the middle east... brining cultures together.

I'm just saying there seems to be something fishy going on, surely theres no way they are in so much debt that they are considering giving up something that means so much to them

I think I'm just trying to say maybe a good idea to read the accounts before we decide something fishies going on