Marco Negri scores five

H72

I'm far too young to remember this and I'm quite interested in hearing how good he actually was. His third goal here is absolutely magnificent. Obviously, his goal-scoring ability speaks for itself but just how good was Marco Negri?

I remember the game well, paintin a shed and listenin to it on the radio.

Negri was a natural goalscorer with skill and ability as demonstrated above, but he'd no real pace.

I dont think he settled at Rangers and was just a miserable cunt. We'd signed Porrini and Big Amo that

summer in all so it wasnt like he was on his tod, coulda whipped round to Amos for some slap up spag bol

between games.

I remember the game well, paintin a shed and listenin to it on the radio.

Negri was a natural goalscorer with skill and ability as demonstrated above, but he'd no real pace.

I dont think he settled at Rangers and was just a miserable cunt. We'd signed Porrini and Big Amo that

summer in all so it wasnt like he was on his tod, coulda whipped round to Amos for some slap up spag bol

between games.

:lol:

People only judged strikers on goals back in those days. Looking back, he had no pace and was very lazy

Was weird, i was watching a video on Youtube earlier of all his games and there's one against Hibs at Easter Road where not only does he smile after scoring it, he goes absolutely mental

Rangers manager Walter Smith bought Negri from Perugia for £3.5 million in 1997. He was rewarded with instant success, as Negri scored 23 goals in his first ten league games.[1] His low-key celebrations were noteworthy - often he felt the need only to exchange a handshake with other players and showed little in the way of facial expressions.[2]

Negri easily topped the goal charts in that first campaign, with 32 league strikes. His scoring run was brought to an end on suffering a serious eye injury, attributed to a squash match with Sergio Porrini. After that first season Negri only played three more first team games, and he sat out the whole of one campaign. Rangers then loaned him to Vicenza and the striker returned to Ibrox injured.[3] Eventually he was sold to Bologna, in February 2001.

His record at Bologna reads two substitute appearances in two years, so it would appear that his attitude to the game remained the same. He apparently did start working with a famous sports clinic in Italy with a view to regaining full fitness and at that time, Ivano Bonetti held talks with Negri about a return to Scotland as replacement for Claudio Caniggia at Dundee.

After Bologna Negri dropped into Serie B with Livorno but they released him after a few months. In 2004 the player had a trial at Derby County, although he wasn't offered a contract.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1994–1995 Cosenza 34 (19)

1995–1997 Perugia 60 (33)

1997–2001 Rangers 30 (32)

1999–2000 → Vicenza (loan) 9 (1)

2001–2002 Bologna 3 (0)

2002 Cagliari 5 (2)

2002–2003 Livorno 10 (8)

2004–2005 Perugia 3 (0)

Total 154 (95)

He only played 21 games in 4 years since leaving,which seems real weird considering his games/goals ratio

There are fake quotes supposedly by Negri blaming anti-Catholic bigotry as the reason for his form dipping so dramatically. Needless to say, these bullshit quotes originated on a Celtic messageboard.

Yeah, I saw those fake quotes posted by sad Celtic fans on Marco Negri youtube videos (Have they nothing better to do with their time?!) and immediately called bullshit. We've had plenty of Catholic players or players of a Catholic background who have gone on to be Rangers heroes. Dado Prso anyone?

I'm far too young to remember this and I'm quite interested in hearing how good he actually was. His third goal here is absolutely magnificent. Obviously, his goal-scoring ability speaks for itself but just how good was Marco Negri?

Boyd x 10.

Not exactly the most technically gifted player in the world but he had a preternatural ability to be in the right place at the right time. If he had a good attitude and hadn't been injured he's probably have scored more than Larsson.