Weiss comments on Walter chat

Boab

Dec 27 2010 Gordon Parks

Vladimir Weiss recently had a sit down with Rangers manager Walter Smith - and yesterday he stood up to destroy Motherwell.

If wise words from his boss can trigger such an upsurge in the confidence displayed by the Slovakian against the Steelmen then Celtic had better watch out next weekend.

As the 21-year-old Manchester City loan star ran riot at Fir Park, he admits the heart-to-heart with his surrogate gaffer has lifted his game to a new level.

Weiss grabbed a wonder solo goal in the Boxing Day romp and the man of the match award. He insists his chat with the Ibrox boss has worked wonders.

He said: "I have not been happy with myself and I wanted to get in there. The manager has great experience and I knew he could help me.

"That was why I went to see him. The chat really helped to boost my confidence.

"The manager spoke to me and told me what to do - just to go out and run at defenders.

"I have been working hard in training and I am really happy he gave me a second chance and I was able to impress him. I have to do it every week.

"If I am not playing well the confidence is not as high. I tried not to think about things today.

"I just tried to get out there to run at defenders and after two or three runs it got my confidence up. Then I just enjoyed the game.

"I don't think there is pressure in football. It was just confidence. If you are not doing well and you are not happy with yourself then you don't enjoy the games.

"After I spoke to the gaffer everything really changed and he told me he believes in me and that really helped me. I just went out to show him I could do better than I had previously shown."

Asked whether he can translate yesterday's form to the cut and thrust of the Old Firm derby at Ibrox on Sunday, Weiss smirked and admitted keeping his place by performing at St Johnstone on Wednesday is his priority.

But whether he likes it or not, the New Year showdown with their biggest rivals could already have a bearing on the title as Rangers look to open up a significant gap at the top.

Weiss said: "We need to win on Wednesday and then all eyes will be on Sunday. We want to win every game but this one is going to be really important for us.

"We need to get a good rest and recovery and be ready for Wednesday. Hopefully we can get three and if we could win at the weekend then hopefully we could be five points clear or more. It could be important but I still think it is too early to talk about things.

"If we can win our next two and our game in hand then we could go eight points clear and that could go a long way towards winning the league. We just need to concentrate on Wednesday and see what happens from there."

The emphatic manner of Rangers' win was emphasised by the wanderings of Weiss who played a more central role than usual.

The well-taken goal that saw him slide home No.3 was the icing on the cake for an invention-packed display he rates as his best yet in Scotland.

He said: "I wanted to score my third goal of the season and I am happy it came against Motherwell. After they scored it was really important to get the third and get the game back on our side.

"It didn't matter if it was a tap-in or whatever because the team performance is all that matters. We were brilliant.

"That was my best performance for Rangers. I know I haven't been doing well in the last few games and as I said I had a good chat with the manager last week.

"I have not been creating enough but this is my first season where I have been playing week in, week out. I went to see him and it worked from both sides."

From the moment Kenny Miller grabbed his 21st league strike of the campaign to edge the champions ahead, the three points were never in doubt against an unusually lacklustre Motherwell side.

But Weiss insists the manner of the result was just as pleasing as a result which keeps them sitting on top of their perch as they approach another testing run of games.

He said: "After the break we were glad to get out there and impress everybody. We have been working hard over the break and I think we really deserved the win.

"The manager didn't say anything personally to me after the game. He was really pleased with the performance because over the last three games we haven't been doing that well.

"We started the game differently here and we had total control over the 90 minutes."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/12/27/talk-with-walter-smith-has-given-me-new-confidence-says-rangers-loan-star-vladimir-weiss-86908-22809672/

you know i read than and it just said no matter what walter does with youth i wont give him an ounce of credit.

kinda sad really.

As I said in another thread, I'm happy to play youth even if they don't particularly deserve it.

Smith deserves a lot of credit this season for how he's handled the young players, but it doesn't mean he's now the best in the world at it. If he can cajole Ness into a player, we're laughing.

maybe.

seems the lad doesnt subscribe to feeble excuses like that though .

A feeble excuse like playing someone out of position. It seems like playing out of position it is Vladimirs fault, when he gets played properly then it is to Walters credit.

I am not a "Walter basher" by any means but the guy has not been that good with younger players everyone knows that.

As I said in another thread, I'm happy to play youth even if they don't particularly deserve it.

Smith deserves a lot of credit this season for how he's handled the young players, but it doesn't mean he's now the best in the world at it. If he can cajole Ness into a player, we're laughing.

so far as i can see your the only one who suggested hes the best in the world at it.

A feeble excuse like playing someone out of position. It seems like playing out of position it is Vladimirs fault, when he gets played properly then it is to Walters credit.

I am not a "Walter basher" by any means but the guy has not been that good with younger players everyone knows that.

except vlad?

so far as i can see your the only one who suggested hes the best in the world at it.

I can't be bothered getting into the whole argument about it again, it's been done to death.

As the management have admitted, if we had a little more money then we wouldn't see any young players get a chance and I think that is fucking sad.

That's all.

Thats exactly what I want from him to RUN STRAIGHT at defenders not cutting inside every time after receiving the ball. Was very impressed with him yday although I never doubted what he is capable of. WATP :21:

Arsene Wengers won nothing with Youth why he's always trotted out as some guru with youth players i will never know.

He's went over the score, to be fair.

At the end of the day, you employ Walter Smith to play consistent football and win trophies and leagues. You don't employ him to bring through six young players a season.

Walter's got enough merits and skills for people to crow on about, I don't see the need to fictionally add in that he's amazing with youth because of one or two players over the past five years. His methods work, but I wouldn't send my 16 year old lad to a club that was managed by Walter Smith.

I can't be bothered getting into the whole argument about it again, it's been done to death.

As the management have admitted, if we had a little more money then we wouldn't see any young players get a chance and I think that is fucking sad.

That's all.

thats a bit disingenuous as it was super that said that not walter.

He's went over the score, to be fair.

At the end of the day, you employ Walter Smith to play consistent football and win trophies and leagues. You don't employ him to bring through six young players a season.

Walter's got enough merits and skills for people to crow on about, I don't see the need to fictionally add in that he's amazing with youth because of one or two players over the past five years. His methods work, but I wouldn't send my 16 year old lad to a club that was managed by Walter Smith.

thats the trouble on here. if you say walters not as bad with youth as is made out. as i demonstrated with all the games he gave to young players and the things young players say about him.

it becomes hes amazing with youth.

hes not arsen wenger. but hes nothing like as bad as people make out. the fact simply dont bear out the myth that he never gives youth a chance.