PSV Eindhoven

papaguy51

PSV-Eindhoven-icon.png

It's been a while since we played them, so I thought I'd have a week look. I know the Celtic game will come first but there's 100 threads on that already so I'll have a look at our European adventures.

Our most recent outings against them ended with a 4-1 thumping and a 1-0 win away in 1999, but it's fair to say that their side isn't quite what it used to be - sadly, the same could be said about Rangers. PSV lined up that day with Kralj, Faber, Heintze, Van Bommel, Khokhlov, Van Nistelrooy, Nilis, Vogel, Nikiforov, Stinga and Wielaert, with Lodewijks, Dirkx, Bruggink, Kolkka, Van Der Doelen, Addo and Rommedahl on the bench. It was a team full with international stars and probably the hottest property in European football at the time; a certain Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

However, what they weren't prepared for was a Rangers team packed full of quality. Stefan Klos, Porrini, Moore, Amoruso and Vidmar made up the defence, while a young Barry Ferguson at the top of his game was partnered by Van Bronckhorst, McInnes and Neil McCann in midfield. Michael Mols and Rod Wallace made up the striker partnership while Charbonnier, Kanchelskis, Albertz, Amato, Adamczuk, Wilson and Johansson were benched.

Things are a little different nowadays though. While PSV aren't the force they one were, they currently sit atop of the Eredivise by three points from FC Twente. In their most recent match, a 0-0 draw with title rivals Ajax, they lined up as follows;

Isaksson

Bouma Manolev Pieters Marcelo

Engelaar Hutchinson

Toivonen

Berg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dzsudzsák

Lens

A few unfamiliar faces in this line up, but what cannot be ignored is the fantastic individual talent - in particular, the front four.

The quartet of Ola Toivonen, Marcus Berg, Jeremain Lens and Balázs Dzsudzsák has the potential to be one of the most talented attacks world football. In Toivonen and Dzsudzsak, Eindhoven have two of the most sought after players in Europe with the latter Hungarian a target for many English, Italian and Spanish clubs as confirmed by his agent. Liverpool meanwhile expressed an interest in Toivonen under Roy Hodgson's tenure, but were priced out of a move for the talented Swede.

Berg is currently on loan from Hamburg while Lens is a young Dutch striker with an ever-growing reputation. Elsewhere in the side, the midfield two of Atiba Hutchison and Orlando Engelaar is dripping with experience while the defence is marshalled by ex-Villa defender Wilfred Bouma and ex-Man City goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson.

There can be no doubting that PSV aren't as talented as they once were, but the individual class of the players cannot be put into question. Rangers will go into this game with Smith's favoured back five formation and it may pay dividends as it will take close attention to keep the mercurial pairing of Ola Toivonen and Balázs Dzsudzsák quiet. They definitely can be got at and their central defence lacks pace, but if we can keep their strikers quiet (especially at Ibrox) then we will give ourselves a massive chance in Philip Stadium.

Guest SandyWATP

Berg and their left mid are the real threats.

We should do them IMO tho.

Their squad shits all over ours, so saying we "should do them" is a bit far.

I'd say Toivonen is a much better player than Marcus Berg, but I'd take either or at Ibrox :pipe:

I don't follow dutch football that much but I know their left mid and Berg are very good players.

If they are an attacking team that would suit us more IMO.

If we can sneak an away goal I think we will win.

How much of an advantage is being away first?

I'm seeing it as more of a disadvantage than an advantage. We know how to approach the home tie first, theres a lot less experience in the away draw.

No advantage to us whatsoever.

The way we're set up, we're about a million times more suited to getting a 0-0 at Ibrox and a score draw away.

No advantage to us whatsoever.

The way we're set up, we're about a million times more suited to getting a 0-0 at Ibrox and a score draw away.

Exactly.

Thats the reason I'm not as confident as I usually am about a European tie with this one.

How do we set up for the first game? Do we go for a goal, or try for 0-0? I have no idea what he'll do.