SPL considers early evening kick-offs for rearranged Rangers matches

SteveJ

The Scottish Premier League is considering scheduling two Rangers away matches to the unusual time of midweek 6pm in a bid to avoid television clashes with the Champions League.

The Ibrox club has games at St Johnstone and Dundee United, which were postponed earlier this season due to weather trouble, to be arranged. Both fixtures were originally due to be screened live by ESPN with the broadcaster keen to honour that commitment.

Uefa makes clear its displeasure with any league which places televised games up against Champions League matches and can threaten to hold back finance from those that do. With that in mind, the SPL is discussing the use of 5/6 April and 12/13 April – all Champions League quarter-final dates – with an early kick-off to avoid a clash.

One issue the league and clubs will take into account is potential anger among Rangers supporters over the plan. The prospect of travelling to Perth and Dundee for such a start on working days is certain to cause unrest.

The matter will be considered more fully in the coming days, with confirmation of the re-arranged dates due to arrive within a week.

Source: Guardian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand this. Anyone care to explain?

The games are due to be televised, but the two proposed dates for them are champions league dates, and we arent allowed to televise a game at the same time as a champs league match, so they are considering kicking it off at 6pm so that it will be finished before the champs league games kick off

Two years ago a game of ours against St Mirren (we won 2-1) was shown live at the same time Chelsea were playing Liverpool in the champions league. I know that for a fact as I wrestled control of the telly off my step-dad (liverpool fan) and made him sit in the kitchen and listen to their game on the radio!

Though maybe Uefa have changed their rules since then....

The Scottish Premier League is considering scheduling two Rangers away matches to the unusual time of midweek 6pm in a bid to avoid television clashes with the Champions League.

The Ibrox club has games at St Johnstone and Dundee United, which were postponed earlier this season due to weather trouble, to be arranged. Both fixtures were originally due to be screened live by ESPN with the broadcaster keen to honour that commitment.

Uefa makes clear its displeasure with any league which places televised games up against Champions League matches and can threaten to hold back finance from those that do. With that in mind, the SPL is discussing the use of 5/6 April and 12/13 April – all Champions League quarter-final dates – with an early kick-off to avoid a clash.

One issue the league and clubs will take into account is potential anger among Rangers supporters over the plan. The prospect of travelling to Perth and Dundee for such a start on working days is certain to cause unrest.

The matter will be considered more fully in the coming days, with confirmation of the re-arranged dates due to arrive within a week.

Source: Guardian

Hold back payments to whom?? The SPL? Fuck them. Let them take the hit robbing fuc@ers. Perth and Dundee at 6pm?? Why not just make it midnight match.

In order to go to both matches, I'll lose £350, plus ticket, travel and munchies. 7.45 means it's just an early finish. Gutted. Fuck the SP Hell.