McGregor is the best keeper in Britain

KingKirk

I'd say he is better than a lot of keepers, that includes, IMO, Cech - better than Reina, van der Saar, Hart, not for me, but that does not matter as they are some of the best keepers in the world.

McGregor has done it in the SPL, domestic cups, Champions League, UEFA Cup, Europa League and at international level... he is a top keeper, and I hope he stays with us for years to come.

He is 28, and getting better by age!

I agree with you completely Muff.

Saying that he's not done it in a good league is fair enough, but pish at the same time. Did he not play against Spain? Did he not play a blinder? He is one of the best keepers in Europe, and that is a fact! For those who say that he stands around and does nothing for the main part of each match.... What do Valdes and Casillas do? Are they not considered great? Cannot believe that people don't see that we have a GREAT keeper on our hands!!!!! He IS one of the best!!

And I honestly think that people (us) are spoilt, seeing him making world class saves in every match!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the best keepers make mistakes. Some make them in games that don't mean anything and some make mistakes in big games. Even Peter Schmeichel made some errors in big games.

His save against Werder Bremen

His penalty save at the piggery a few years back before he went off injured

His saves in the CIS cup final against Dundee Utd

His save against Hinkel at Ibrox 2 years ago

His save away at Tynecastle last season when we were 1-0 down

His save against Samaras at the piggery

His save at home to Hamilton last season. 1-0 win and a wonder save from Paixao I think.

His save at 2-2 during the Scottish cup match at Ibrox

His save from Majstorovic

His penalty save from Samaras

They are just some saves of the top of my head. Yes he has made mistakes, like every goalkeeper, but the amount of world class saves he has pulled off in big games outweighs the few mistakes he has made.

IIRC He made that save on the use of 1 leg (tu)

Don't disagree with any of that mate. Your wording previously made it sound like Reina makes numerous mistakes in big games and Alan does not. That's why I pointed out that was not the case, both have made bad and costly mistakes this season and previous seasons.

Every goalkeeper makes errors, Cesar at Inter has made numerous this season and many believe he was best in the world the last couple of years.

(tu)

Pepe Reina is the best goalkeeper in the world IMO but every now and then he makes a mistake, like every keeper, but when he does make a mistake it tends to be in a big game.

McGregor is up there as one of the best shot stoppers around.

The top keepers in Britain right now are:

Edwin Van Der Sar

Pepe Reina

Petr Cech

Joe Hart

IMO Allan McGregor is right up there with them. And before some people say he is only playing in the SPL it matters not a jot. A shot hit from 20 yards at pace and heading into the top corner by Ross Tokely is no different than a shot hit from 20 yards with pace and heading into the top corner by Frank Lampard.

A more consistent keeper than Cech and Hart and not as prone to mistakes in big games like Reina. Van Der Sar is the only one that runs him close.

Absolutley spot on. (tu)

The top keepers in Britain right now are:

Edwin Van Der Sar

Pepe Reina

Petr Cech

Joe Hart

IMO Allan McGregor is right up there with them. And before some people say he is only playing in the SPL it matters not a jot. A shot hit from 20 yards at pace and heading into the top corner by Ross Tokely is no different than a shot hit from 20 yards with pace and heading into the top corner by Frank Lampard.

A more consistent keeper than Cech and Hart and not as prone to mistakes in big games like Reina. Van Der Sar is the only one that runs him close.

Where's Foster?

And it doesn't matter 'not a jot' that McGregor plays in the SPL.

McGregor has far less to technically do than the proven EPL keepers do.

Ben Foster is playing for one of the worst clubs in England (possibly the second best league in the world) yet still performs admirably, food for thought.

How many games has McGregor played against good opposition? He plays against nobody good in the SPL.

To all those saying that a save is a save no matter what league its in, i recall an article a few years ago in which craig gordon saying that this was not the case. He said that you wouldnt believe how much harder and quicker the ball was struck in the epl.

Cant find the article as im on my phone but thought id throw it in there. He might of just being saying that though for whatever reason.

To all those saying that a save is a save no matter what league its in, i recall an article a few years ago in which craig gordon saying that this was not the case. He said that you wouldnt believe how much harder and quicker the ball was struck in the epl.

Cant find the article as im on my phone but thought id throw it in there. He might of just being saying that though for whatever reason.

Fair enough. but it's not just hard shots... It's like the save Allan made off of the baldy Swede that really show just how good he is. Stopping shots? Well.. ok when you can see them from 20-30 yards out any top class Keeper should be able to. For me, it's the instinctive saves.. the ones where you say 'what the f*ck did I just see? Allan seems to have plenty of those in his locker.

All great Keepers mentioned in this thread though... Nice to know we have indeed, one of the best. (tu)

Where's Foster?

And it doesn't matter 'not a jot' that McGregor plays in the SPL.

McGregor has far less to technically do than the proven EPL keepers do.

Ben Foster is playing for one of the worst clubs in England (possibly the second best league in the world) yet still performs admirably, food for thought.

How many games has McGregor played against good opposition? He plays against nobody good in the SPL.

:lol: :lol:

Foster is shite.

Made another mistake a couple of games ago.

It's alright saying a good save is a good save regardless of league, but if McGregor was playing for a mid table EPL team, he wouldn't get it anywhere near as easy as he does now. He'd be having to make 7 or 8 saves every single week

That's probably a better test of a keeper, no? Like even when a keeper has nothing to do for long periods and lets his muscles relax and concentration wander, he manages to pull off the occasional world class save out of nowhere?

As it is in the Conference or Sunday leagues.

Not the same pressure performing in these leagues, so it's incomparable.

But, if the keeper is making amazing saves in these leagues, he'll work his was through the divisions...

I agree that a great save against shite SPL opposition is no different to a great save against a top EPL team.

However, there are plenty of other factors to consider that would make playing in the EPL far more difficult than playing in the SPL.

Until he's proven himself week in week out at the top level for a top team, there is no way he can be considered as good as players like Cech, VDS or Reina.

A lot of my friends who support Huddersfield think Alex Smithies is as good as any keeper in the UK. it's called being biased to your own players.

I think Shagger is a brilliant GK, but a Rangers forum is literally the only place in the world where you would hear people calling him the best in the UK.

A save is a save.

How many other GK's in the world could have kept us in the title like he did against Celtic ? a few could have but not many.

He pulls of World Class saves like they are nothing and has performed on the International stage and European stage.

Its not bias from me, he is World Class.

And of course, a goal is a goal.. Off topic a wee bit. but if a save is a save, then why is a 30 yard screamer into the top corner only worth 1.5 points in the SPL whereas a tap in in England/Spain etc is worth 2 points in the scoring title?

Crazy. We can thank Super Ally for them changing the rules I think?

I don't think he's anywhere near to being one of the best keepers in the world. He's quality but I think that's too much.

I cant name 10 better.

And my list doesn't have usual candidates like Cesar and Casillas because I think they have been pretty poor this season.

Maybe its a little much but I think he is outstanding.

Maybe people like Van Der Sar and Lloris should be ahead of him.

I cant name 10 better.

And my list doesn't have usual candidates like Cesar and Casillas because I think they have been pretty poor this season.

Maybe its a little much but I think he is outstanding.

Maybe people like Van Der Sar and Lloris should be ahead of him.

Cesar and Casillas haven't been at their bests you're right but class is permanent.

Casillas

Valdes

Neuer

Adler

Lloris

Van Der Sar

Cech

Hart

Reina

Julio Cesar

Buffon

De Gea

Stekelenburg

Tim Howard

Akinfeev

Frey

I'd say all of those are better than him. No shame in that mind you. He's definitely top class and should he be sold he couldn't be replaced. Some say Alexander is as good but the truth is Shaggger is in a totally different league.

Cesar and Casillas haven't been at their bests you're right but class is permanent.

Casillas

Valdes

Neuer

Adler

Lloris

Van Der Sar

Cech

Hart

Reina

Julio Cesar

Buffon

De Gea

Stekelenburg

Tim Howard

I'd say all of those are better than him. No shame in that mind you. He's definitely top class and should he be sold he couldn't be replaced. Some say Alexander is as good but the truth is Shaggger is in a totally different league.

True.

I think McGregor is better than Howard and Stekelenburg but thats a great list of keepers and its no shame to be even comparing McGregor with that list.

4th best in the world was a bit much but I believe he is in the top 10 in the world.

A guide has to be what managers of other clubs are doing.Rumoured now that Reina may be leaving Liverpool(Talksport today) and as a result Dalglish has been watching Lloris.Personally I rate McGregor but it seems the top EPL clubs dont.