Walter Smith has told Craig Whyte to spend big

Walt a way to go

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

WALTER SMITH has told Craig Whyte to spend big - to keep Rangers' SPL title party going.

Smith's Gers clinched Three in a Row after dumping Kilmarnock 5-1.

Ally McCoist takes over from mentor Smith who has urged new club owner Whyte to invest heavily in the team - or else. Smith said: "The players deserve an enormous amount of credit for handling the situation.

"But unless there is a significant investment then the team will stagnate. They just can't continue to do what they have been doing at the present moment. That is regardless of if I was the manager or anybody. Next season will be a problem.

"Hopefully, that will be looked at by the owners.

"But I don't think the new owner would have bought the club unless they were happy to put money into the team.

"He is aware the club needs quite a large level of investment into the team.

"He's also aware that if they don't get that they will not continue the success they've had.

"There is a new boss so hopefully he's able to bring in a level of player who will help him continue the success we've had.

"Historically if you look at Rangers over the last 20 odd years, every three of four years they have needed a fairly large investment in the team to boost them.

"When the team's not had that it's not been successful. The new owner is aware of that, he's had a good length of time, over six months, to sit and study the level of investment which is necessary.

"Sir David Murray needed to find the money every three to four years - and it's now needed again. The team needs a boost. He would be blind if he didn't realise that.

"Although we've had a level of success in recent seasons, four years ago we had a fair level of investment to bring in a number of players.

"Okay, the problems we've had recently have been down to squad size and cutting the numbers.

"But if we don't get this same level of investment then it'll be a struggle next season.

"You can't continue to ask the same group of players to repeat the success they've had season after season without more help.

"You see the difference Nikica Jelavic makes to the team when he's fit."

Whyte had promised £10million after winning control of the club - and Smith added: "I do think he knows what's needed - I've told him.

"I can't say what his judgement on that is going to be, but anybody who follows football, knows football and follows the club knows what the previous owners have had to do when we haven't invested in the team."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3582275/Walt-a-way-to-go.html#ixzz1MTEw2CkS

If we want to stay SPL champs new faces are needed 4/5 players that can go right into the 1st 11 and 3/4 squad players. I have always said if we could win this title we could put them away for years. Now is our chance.

No need to give them mega-deals.

Yes we do need to give them new deals however that will cost us money and we will need to improve on the current wages they are receiving I'd imagine.

The more I think about it £10million just isn't enough. And I don't mean we should sell players because the only ones worth anything we have to keep!

We need £17million I'd say. No 'squad' players, just 4 or 5 Jelavic standard players and sign up the current crop.

Dreamland, I know.

If we want to stay SPL champs new faces are needed 4/5 players that can go right into the 1st 11 and 3/4 squad players. I have always said if we could win this title we could put them away for years. Now is our chance.

One of the causes for Rangers victory this season, and perhaps last season, was continuity and chemistry. If the club brings in 4 or 5 starters then it will take some time for them to gel and thereby possibly not be ready for the early Champions League games. Also, if Whyte gives Shagger, Davis, and Papac new deals then that'll eat at some of the 10 million, not leaving enough for 4/5 starters.

I hope your theory is correct (regarding winning the league this season would finish them for years!). :)

The more I think about it £10million just isn't enough. And I don't mean we should sell players because the only ones worth anything we have to keep!

We need £17million I'd say. No 'squad' players, just 4 or 5 Jelavic standard players and sign up the current crop.

Dreamland, I know.

We can find good players without breaking the bank. 10m can go a long way if it's used correctly

Its apparent backing from Smith like this that makes me think Whyte will be good for us.

As if the board or anybody worth listening to had a doubt about Whyte then im sure Smith would have head about it which would have then been leaked to the papers yonks ago

We can find good players without breaking the bank. 10m can go a long way if it's used correctly

Exactly, I hate using Celtic as examples but izzaguire, hooper and kayal didn't burst the bank. Buy low and sell high

The fans are the ones who ultimately pay so caw canny wi the spending. Ok the new owner shells out the initial 10 mil but this is still a recession. 4 major players for 10 mil, CL money for deals to secure contracts and many amazing loans and free players out there. It's all well and good spending money in your head, especially if it doesn't seem like it's your money, but it is better to be cautious and deliberate. Lennon spunked a lot on this wonderful team and so far, they have one diddly squat.

Its apparent backing from Smith like this that makes me think Whyte will be good for us.

As if the board or anybody worth listening to had a doubt about Whyte then im sure Smith would have head about it which would have then been leaked to the papers yonks ago

smiths not backing him hes putting a gun to his head.

Reckless and over the top spending played a part in getting us in to the position we were in over the past few years.

We've proven this year that we can spend sensible levels of money and not only compete, but win.

I just hope the lessons learned and the hardships faced over the past three gets aren't forgotten about.

We do not need to be spending 20 million quid (a figure which some people have suggested) this Summer.

Reckless and over the top spending played a part in getting us in to the position we were in over the past few years.

We've proven this year that we can spend sensible levels of money and not only compete, but win.

I just hope the lessons learned and the hardships faced over the past three gets aren't forgotten about.

We do not need to be spending 20 million quid (a figure which some people have suggested) this Summer.

Spot on!

We an get in 1-2 free agents or maybe a loan (Bartley?) and then spend £1-2m on 4-5-6 players and we will be more than sorted!

I know its not going to be as easy as that but weve signed guys like Whittaker, Thomson, Mcculloh, Davis. Bougherra, Cuellar, Naismith all for around £2m (a bit more than £2m for Davis) and they have all been important 1st team players. We dont need to spend like we did on Jelavic to get the quality we need, as long as we spend it wisely.

We need to keep the core of the team -shagger -whitty- papac and if possible boggie although if he wants to go then sell him right away dont do a boyd or a miller - we also need to keep david a jelavic.

My ideal buys would be

Wallac as either cover for papac or replacement depending if the Mr cool stays

Central defender loan move for Bartley

Look into adding some width with either dos santos or weiss

I think if we are to make a successful deffence of the league and a good run in europe we also need to add a striker in david vaughn or maybe yakubu as he is free to leave as well as far as im aware.

And maybe one or two loans or bosmon's here is a link of a possible shopping list of bosmans - http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/01/19/2312686/2010-11-end-of-season-bosman-list-all-the-players-available