Scholes has retired.

It's annoying people saying how he was a dirty player etc and couldn't tackle. Personally I loved the fact that he got stuck in and picked up cards left right and center, and even if he wasn't the best at tackling, he more than made up for it with all his other abilities.

I'd rather have a player who's overly aggressive at trying to win the ball than someone who's shit scared to go into a tackle.

Regardless of his other abilities, he couldn't tackle though, whether you are a fan of it or not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of his other abilities, he couldn't tackle though, whether you are a fan of it or not.

I'm not denying that he wasn't the best at tackling, what I'm saying is that I'd rather have a player who'll fly into tackles rather than one who's scared to even attempt to get the ball and get bullied by other players.

There does seem to be an overreaction to any Man Utd players that retire these days.

Scholes was sublime, but he's nowhere near the best player of recent times as some have suggested today.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes

A lot of people including Xavi, Zidane and Edgard Davis, but to name a few, would disagree with you ;)

The people that speak out are the people who do have immensely high opinions of him. Players who don't rate him so highly aren't going to come out and state it.

The people that speak out are the people who do have immensely high opinions of him. Players who don't rate him so highly aren't going to come out and state it.

Well when the people who are speaking out are literally all of the best midfielders of the last 20 years, I am happy to accept their opinion as being true...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes

A lot of people including Xavi, Zidane and Edgard Davis, but to name a few, would disagree with you ;)

Anyone with a brain would realise that Scholes couldn't lace Zidane's boots.

Zizou wouldn't exactly come out and say he thought he was the best.

Anyone with a brain would realise that Scholes couldn't lace Zidane's boots.

Zizou wouldn't exactly come out and say he thought he was the best.

Terrible response.

Couldn't lace his boots? Ridiculously OTT comment.

What about the other 8 or 9 world class players who cite Scholes as the best they've seen, or the best they've played against etc etc ??

More to the point - anyone with a brain would not say Scholes is 'nowhere near the best player of recent times'.

He is very near the the best player of recent times, probably in the top 3 CM's of the last 20 years and I'm sure the majority across world football would agree with 100% sincerity.

I'm not denying that he wasn't the best at tackling, what I'm saying is that I'd rather have a player who'll fly into tackles rather than one who's scared to even attempt to get the ball and get bullied by other players.

What about Ian Black? Did you sympathise with him when he was being criticised because he got "stuck in"?

Terrible response.

Couldn't lace his boots? Ridiculously OTT comment.

What about the other 8 or 9 world class players who cite Scholes as the best they've seen, or the best they've played against etc etc ??

More to the point - anyone with a brain would not say Scholes is 'nowhere near the best player of recent times'.

He is very near the the best player of recent times, probably in the top 3 CM's of the last 20 years and I'm sure the majority across world football would agree with 100% sincerity.

Roy Keane was more important in that Man United side than Scholes was, which shows how strong that side actually was.

Also, give me Zidane, Vieira, Seedorf and Deschamps off the top of my head as better all round midfielders of the same ilk. Perhaps some are not as lucky as Scholes to be playing for a domestically dominant side or to receive the acclaim they deserve in Britain for spending so much time abroad, but I'd take any of them before Scholes.

As for Zidane - not being able to lace his boots isn't a bad thing. He's up alongside Messi as one of the two phenomenons of the last twenty years. Scholes isn't the same level of footballer as Zidane, in my opinion, but he was almost there.

That isn't bad. That's like your wife almost looking like Jennifer Aniston - you wouldn't exactly complain.

Overrated

Shut up. Spelling correctly is underrated.

What about Ian Black? Did you sympathise with him when he was being criticised because he got "stuck in"?

No I didn't as I hate that wee rat who deliberately tried to injure Jelavic, IMO. Football is a rough sport and players who fly into tackles make it better.

Shut up. Spelling correctly is underrated.

No I didn't as I hate that wee rat who deliberately tried to injure Jelavic, IMO. Football is a rough sport and players who fly into tackles make it better.

Could argue that Scholes deliberately tries to injure people by going in high, 2 footed and lunging. Great player but a dirty bastard.

Roy Keane was more important in that Man United side than Scholes was, which shows how strong that side actually was.

Also, give me Zidane, Vieira, Seedorf and Deschamps off the top of my head as better all round midfielders of the same ilk. Perhaps some are not as lucky as Scholes to be playing for a domestically dominant side or to receive the acclaim they deserve in Britain for spending so much time abroad, but I'd take any of them before Scholes.

As for Zidane - not being able to lace his boots isn't a bad thing. He's up alongside Messi as one of the two phenomenons of the last twenty years. Scholes isn't the same level of footballer as Zidane, in my opinion, but he was almost there.

That isn't bad. That's like your wife almost looking like Jennifer Aniston - you wouldn't exactly complain.

Agree about Zidane - the best CM I've seen, but not about any of the other players you mentioned. Scholes in the lase nineties was a deadly player, probably the best goalscoring CM around. The fact that he managed to carry on playing for so long after and adapt his playing style seems to have hindered his reputation with a lot of UK football fans when it should really have enhanced it.

He was incredibly highly rated by European footballers but vastly underrated by his fellow countrymen which is a shame. Here some quotes I found.

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."
Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."
Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."
Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

More quotes

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."
Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."
Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Random point but I think Viera was criminally under rated.

Vieira didn't do it for long enough. He was the best midfielder in England from 2001 to 2003 but he pissed off to the declining Serie A when he was only 29 and was never the same player again