Is WS a long term solution or just a stop gap?

Danny

I've been thinking about this one for a while, but never really let myself truly consider it.

We were verging on crisis in late December/early January, and it was all apparently 'solved' when PLG quit, WS came in, and we became stabilised in the SPL.

He brought in Webster, Weir, Ehiogu and Thomson, and for the first few weeks, bar the score in Israel, things were going pretty well.

But over the past month or so we've departed Europe, looked a bit less than solid in the SPL (less than impressive displays against Falkirk, ICT, and St Mirren) albeit not overall dreadful, and we don't seem to have any ambition with regards the upcoming transfer window.

So, what exactly defines Smith's position at Ibrox?

Was he brought in to steady the ship short term for a couple of seasons at most, before vacating for another boss who'd be entrusted with a real transfer kitty to bring us the SPL back.

Or is WS the long-term answer for Rangers, who will himself win the SPL and take us back where we belong?

It was great when he came in - blue blood and all that, but I wonder what his intentions, and that of the club, are.

I am confused as to what direction we are actually going in.

I've been thinking about this one for a while, but never really let myself truly consider it.

We were verging on crisis in late December/early January, and it was all apparently 'solved' when PLG quit, WS came in, and we became stabilised in the SPL.

He brought in Webster, Weir, Ehiogu and Thomson, and for the first few weeks, bar the score in Israel, things were going pretty well.

But over the past month or so we've departed Europe, looked a bit less than solid in the SPL (less than impressive displays against Falkirk, ICT, and St Mirren) albeit not overall dreadful, and we don't seem to have any ambition with regards the upcoming transfer window.

Was he brought in to steady the ship short term for a couple of seasons at most, before vacating for another boss who'd be entrusted with a real transfer kitty to bring us the SPL back.

Or is WS the long-term answer for Rangers, who will himself win the SPL and take us back where we belong?

It was great when he came in - blue blood and all that, but I wonder what his intentions, and that of the club, are.

Stop gap,hopefully :wave:

I believe that WS, AM and KM are the long term plan - can see WS managing for 2 - 3 seasons than moving upstairs and making way for Coisty, Durrant and McDowell to be the new team.

He has certainly accomplished the goals this season, we needed steadying fast - looks like he has done that, we dont leak many goals at all now, never mind the silly ones, and we are now a hard team to beat. Obviously, the team needs strengthening, but I am confident we will do that over the next 2 seasons

For the first few weeks, bar the score in Israel, things were going pretty well.

I think WS is the short-term move.

Your point above is what I'm refering to. If we ever want to compete is Europe, WS is not the man. His defensive minded tactics do not work in Europe.

So if the owners of our Club want us to move forward, to compete in Europe, then WS is not the man.

But if our owner is happy with just winning the league, then WS is ideal, as he WILL win us leagues.

We can forget Europe though.

We as always are playing our transfer targets close to our chest, and also the money available for transfers is kept quiet, which IMO is a good idea.

Personally I wouldn't judge our performances right now to much as the old proverb goes "you can only polish a sh*t so much" in other words, yes we've brought in a few players to steady a sinking ship and mayb plug a few holes while there at it. But this does not represent the long term plan or solution. All or atleast most will be revealed in the summer when the transfer window reopens for business.

No need to worry just yet.

I believe that WS, AM and KM are the long term plan - can see WS managing for 2 - 3 seasons than moving upstairs and making way for Coisty, Durrant and McDowell to be the new team.

I'm not sure any of those 3 have the stuff to be the full manager.

He has certainly accomplished the goals this season, we needed steadying fast - looks like he has done that, we dont leak many goals at all now, never mind the silly ones, and we are now a hard team to beat. Obviously, the team needs strengthening, but I am confident we will do that over the next 2 seasons

We'll need money though, and that's another crucial stumbling block.

I'm not sure any of those 3 have the stuff to be the full manager.

We'll need money though, and that's another crucial stumbling block.

Well, I dont think we will get very much of it - I think we need to come to terms with that

I would agree on that - I think in those 3 years one of his duties is to school Coisty and to a lesser degree, Durrant

At the end of that, assuming the Mint is still here, I can see Coisty taking over

I believe he is long-term. Dont know about Coisty, McDowall and Durranty taking over, depends on what happens next season and what Murray's plans are. If Smith is going to have any success then he needs money.

Wattie is cover till SDM gets tae fuck.

Probably the best description in the thread... ;)

Walter was arguably the right decision at the time but he's certainly not the long term choice per se. He may be able to affect our medium-long term ambitions but whether that will be directly or indirectly remains to be seen.

The early signs have been 50/50.

Wakey Wakey....its to paper over the cracks and give all you guys a we sample of the 90s again without the glory

Wattie is in the past and yer man Ally will never be a cure for RFC...let them go for feck sake

Brining back the past shows lack of ambition. WS has steadied the ship as he was brought in to do but the ship is a bit of a wreck and the signings so far will drag it further down.

Money has to be spent and not on 2nd rate Scottish players from Wigan and the lower reaches of the spl.

At the end of the day we could have Mourinho or Capello as Manager, we need money invested in the squad.

If we spend any less than £10m we will struggle.

It should be the Chairmans future we're disgusing, not the Managers.

At the end of the day we could have Mourinho or Capello as Manager, we need money invested in the squad.

Gotta agree with this.

WS IMO is a short term deal to be either kicked upstairs or replaced by Ally? Billy? etc.

But as Davy says it really does not matter who the manager is if we dont spend some decent money and RAISE THE QUALITY OF THIS SQUAD OF DUFFERS!

This kinda is about SDM in a way - it's also asking what his motivations for appointing WS were.

This kinda is about SDM in a way - it's also asking what his motivations for appointing WS were.

An experienced hand to steady a sinking ship. (As it was under PLG.)

spot on and we are sinking fast.

NO - the ship HAS been steadied, the SUMMER will dictate whether it is a nuclear sub or just sinking!

NO - the ship HAS been steadied, the SUMMER will dictate whether it is a nuclear sub or just sinking!

I agree - I am very optimistic that we are on the right path here. The ship has been steadied and even without signings, I think we are a steadier side than our rivals. Looking forward to next season immensely

I thought they were a world class management team? Personally I think Smith is an average manager but I hope he can be successful again at Rangers. I fear though that he will do well enough to hold his job but not progress the club at all.