What Is The Difference Between

Not on the field, well not all of it.

Over the course of the whole of last season we have sat and watched as Boyds career has taken a turn for the worse, leaving our great club for some relatively average joe team in England has seen him fall off the radar, and to the delight of our fans it seems.

But compare that to Carlos Cuellar who you would think single handedly started our great club the way people are going on about him, "King Carlos", "Spend what it takes to bring him home" (never understood the home part)

Examine the two players closely, especially their exit from our club

Both at the time of their exit were "Proven SPL class" (a constant term being horsed about on here to try and win an arguement)

Both chased their ambitions to England, i.e went after the money

Both left us under somewhat shite circumstances (Boyd apparently saying he'd sign a new deal while Cuellar just didnt tell anyone about his future ambitions until he signed the deal with Villa)

Both have seen their new career paths go tits up

Now ask many on here if they would take Cuellar back and 99% of people would post "YES" before they had finished reading your question, but ask the same people about Boyd and you are told "GET TAE FUCK, he made his bed and can lie in it"

Whats the difference between the two situations, dont get me wrong, i am not saying bring Boyd back, far from it, we parted ways and he hasnt done anything to suggest he is on form

But neither has Cuellar, people think of Cuellar and think of the player that played in the 2007-08 season with us, this will be the 2011-12 season, and he has, like Boyd, failed to really play down south

I for one think the club are doing the right thing in the Cuellar deal, Villa paid 7.8million quid at the time for him, he was 27-28 years old, had just played a full season of 50 games, including the champions league and the magical run to manchester, and he had managed most, if not all, of pre season training before being injured for a month, and the most important thing was, he was under contract for at least 2 more seasons back then

Now he is 30 years old, hardly played in the last 3 years, especially consecutive games, (considering what he could have played), has a knee injury that will keep him out of pre season, and most importantly, is entering the final year of his deal

Doesnt really warrant Villa asking for nearly 40% of what they paid for him does it???????????????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main difference is Boyd is meant to be a Rangers fan, & a fan would never act in the fashion he did as Cuellar has no emotional ties to the club.

And Boyd chose to fuck off on a bosman, we got £7.8m for Cuellar!

Boyd doesnt have curly hair :(

Seriously though i would take both back.

Its a point caseyjones makes alot, people took Miller back, Ferguson back and wanted Novo back yet no matter your opinion of Boyd he gets slated more than any of them! Ah well the Rangers support 2011!

Cuellar isn't Scottish, you can't expect loyalty from foreigners, Boyd is a totally different matter.

However, I never rated Cuellar, and have argued before that he was grossly over-rated, and don't want to see him anywhere near a Rangers jersey. Lets be brutally honest here, it doesn't take much to be a "great" centre back in the SPL. Boumsong, Cuellar, and also Bougherra just looked good because they were up against shite most weeks. None of them cut it in a competitive English league.

The difference betwen Boyd & Cuellar is irrelevant, whats important is the distance between them and Ibrox. I hope its a big one.

what fashion. He chose to financially secure him and his family for the rest of their lives.

Its a strange one Jim. When Miller left to Bursa, people were saying he is doing whats right for his family, setting himself up etc etc, yet what people forget is Miller had been at us twice, the taigs, Wolves in the EPL along with Derby. He would have been on easily 20-30kp/w at both EPL sides. Boyd had been at Killie and us yet is slated for doing the same thing so to speak.

Boyd shouldnt have knocked the contract back that he did but he was ill advised, his career is suffering but at the end of the day it is his own fault! You wonder what some peoples problem with him is, when even a player who played at the taigs is welcomed back easier than what he would be

Difference between Miller and Boyd is that Miller was offered either 15k or whatever it was with us or 50k tax free. Miller doesn't support Rangers. He's a Hibs fan and plays for himself.

If in your job just now and your company offered you 15k to stay and another was offering 50k who would you pick? No brainer.

With the Boyd/Cuellar arguement. Cuellar had a release fee. Was moving to the EPL, arguably the best league in the world. Lloyds wanted the cash. No brainer. I bet Martin Bain would've driven him to Brum himself for that kinda dough.

Boyd left to a championship team, a lower league. No ambition. Went for the money only. Was supposed to be a Rangers fan. Boyd was a goal scorer but only because the team was shifted about to suit him and give him chance after chance. He has been found out at Boro though when the team hasn't suited him. He is no Jelavic anyway, Boyd couldn't create his own chances.

what fashion. He chose to financially secure him and his family for the rest of their lives.

He lied to the fans. He said he was going to sign a contract, loved working for Smith, loved the club, is a fan. Then when he left he said he knew in the January that he was leaving.

If that was me & I knew I wanted to leave, I would say to the club, I will sign your contract so you get money for me but in the summer you sell me.

He lied to the fans. He said he was going to sign a contract, loved working for Smith, loved the club, is a fan. Then when he left he said he knew in the January that he was leaving.

If that was me & I knew I wanted to leave, I would say to the club, I will sign your contract so you get money for me but in the summer you sell me.

A widely held misconception. He said Smith staying would influence his decision with regard to signing an extension. Smith stayed, Boyd left. Draw your own conclusions on that, but please bear in mind that Smith largely didn't trust Boyd with games against Celtic or in Europe.

Boyd had the chance to leave a season earlier, I think it was Birmingham we agreed a fee of close to 4 million. He chose to stay, stating he loved the Gers and wanted to stay whilst all along just waiting to line his own pockets. He knew the financial dire straits our club was in but still chose the selfish route. Cuellar we got 8 million for and virtually pushed him out of the door, a fee which was very difficult to turn down.

I live and work in a place called Tamworth which is just north of Birmingham. As you can imagine its full of Villa supporters and i myself have been to one of there matches. The word down here from practically 100% of villa supporters is that they would be dedvastated to loose such a solid defender. Although hes not played so often partly due to Dunne and Collins whenever called upon he has been superb. Most villa supporters would have him as first pick at centre back.

I live and work in a place called Tamworth which is just north of Birmingham. As you can imagine its full of Villa supporters and i myself have been to one of there matches. The word down here from practically 100% of villa supporters is that they would be dedvastated to loose such a solid defender. Although hes not played so often partly due to Dunne and Collins whenever called upon he has been superb. Most villa supporters would have him as first pick at centre back.

Anyword down there if the deal is likely to happen or not mate? Or is it just the same as here?

I'll take any player that will improve our team whether they have played for us before or not, whether Boyd or Cuellar would improve us is up for debate.

I think some fans need to wisen up about loyalty.....there is none, from Rangers or the players.

Players will move anywhere to get a better deal and quite frankly who can blame them? If I was offered 50k a week tax free to go and play in a fantastic city like Instanbul I would bite the hand off them.

Cuellar isn't Scottish, you can't expect loyalty from foreigners, Boyd is a totally different matter.

However, I never rated Cuellar, and have argued before that he was grossly over-rated, and don't want to see him anywhere near a Rangers jersey. Lets be brutally honest here, it doesn't take much to be a "great" centre back in the SPL. Boumsong, Cuellar, and also Bougherra just looked good because they were up against shite most weeks. None of them cut it in a competitive English league.

The difference betwen Boyd & Cuellar is irrelevant, whats important is the distance between them and Ibrox. I hope its a big one.

You're kidding me surely!