Transfer Dates - Some Stats

govanblue

I'm getting bored with all the doom-harbingers and panic-merchants bemoaning our lack of transfer activity, so I've done a quick Wiki search and here's what I've established:

Of our current squad (excluding youth signings and January signings) every single player was signed at a later date than June.

here's the dates:

Papac – 31/08/06

Broadfoot – 01/07/07

McCulloch – 11/07/07

Edu – 17/08/08

Davis – 21/08/08 (after 6 month loan 31/01/08)

Naismith – 31/08/07 (19 seconds before the end of the window!)

Whittaker – 01/08/07

Jelavic – 20/08/10

Beattie – 13/08/10

Bougherra – 31/07/08

So that clearly shows (to me at least) that the later in the transfer season that we sign someone, the bigger the contribution he makes! [Edit: Apart from Beattie, of course]

So come on Ally, slow down!!!!

With the exception of last season, all of the players mentioned were signed to compliment and improve a bigger squad though.

You cant really compare our current situation to that of 2007 or 2008.

And thats not withstanding that the league kicks off something like 2 or 3 weeks earlier this season.

how many of those seasons did we have an early start to the league?

And did it not take a defeat to Kaunas that forced our hand? That's what we need to avoid.

People can think up as many excuses as they want but we've publicly admitted our interest in 5-6 players, and signed 0.

Our need for squad imporvement has never been greater. I dont remember us ever going into pre season with 12/13 senior players. Previous dates and transfers from history mean nothing TODAY. Its all about the here and now. Waiting until the middle to end of August is no good this season.

I'm getting bored with all the doom-harbingers and panic-merchants bemoaning our lack of transfer activity, so I've done a quick Wiki search and here's what I've established:

Of our current squad (excluding youth signings and January signings) every single player was signed at a later date than June.

here's the dates:

Papac – 31/08/06

Broadfoot – 01/07/07

McCulloch – 11/07/07

Edu – 17/08/08

Davis – 21/08/08 (after 6 month loan 31/01/08)

Naismith – 31/08/07 (19 seconds before the end of the window!)

Whittaker – 01/08/07

Jelavic – 20/08/10

Beattie – 13/08/10

Bougherra – 31/07/08

So that clearly shows (to me at least) that the later in the transfer season that we sign someone, the bigger the contribution he makes! [Edit: Apart from Beattie, of course]

So come on Ally, slow down!!!!

Good work. Made me feel a bit better about things anyway and im sure some other readers will agree.

Good work. Made me feel a bit better about things anyway and im sure some other readers will agree.

you realise the league starts several weeks earlier this season? training started back today, pre-season about to go ahead aswell. less than 4 weeks till first league game

i think i speak for alot of fans by saying that we would prefer to get players in now since our squad is so wafer thin. it would be better to get new players involved in a good share of pre season so that we give ourselves a better chance of a good start to the season, especially since it starts in less than a months time. i can agree with you that the way things have gone in the past, we are more likely to be making last minute deals but i was hoping with CW's new backroom team, deals would be done more efficiently. all this takeover has done is raise the fans expectations and rightly so. i hope we break the late transfer habbit.

you realise the league starts several weeks earlier this season? training started back today, pre-season about to go ahead aswell. less than 4 weeks till first league game

Yes I understand but I trust Ally to have a bigger list of targets than the ones that have been made public.

a few average players have turned us down no big deal

This (tu)

No cunt had ever heard of Neil Danns or Tomar Hemed until we showed some interest but to listen to some on here you'd think we missed out on Messi and Ibrahimovich.