Bbc Issue Apology To Mccoist

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RANGERS Manager Ally McCoist has today received an apology from the BBC following what the club feels was totally unacceptable reporting on BBC national news, the BBC website and Radio Five Live last Friday.

A written apology has been sent to the Manager, it will be posted on the BBC News website and an on-air apology will be read out on BBC Sportsound at 7pm this evening.

McCoist said: "I was appalled by the BBC's coverage last Friday and the club will not tolerate this type of reporting.

"I was adamant I would not speak to the BBC until the matter was resolved to my satisfaction so I am pleased an apology has been issued today.

"I have always been generous with my time as the media play an important role in modern football but I will not tolerate being portrayed in the manner I was last week.

"Having worked in television for many years, with the BBC, I know exactly what was done last Friday and I was disgusted with their editing of the pre-Hearts press conference.

"Last season was a difficult one for the Scottish game and I think it is important we all get back to focusing on football.

"We all have a responsibility to improve the game's image - players, management, supporters and the media - and I hope season 2011/12 can be remembered for all the right reasons."

It's a start. But I want to see the details of the apology.

Freedom of the press is a fundamental right in a proper society. For the BBC to violate that trust is more than just unacceptable, it's bloody criminal imho.

edit: Liked Ally's words. (tu)

This part especially...

"Having worked in television for many years, with the BBC, I know exactly what was done last Friday and I was disgusted with their editing of the pre-Hearts press conference."

Exactly what I expected from them

If Ally doesnt feel its satisfactory he shouldnt back down

There is absolutely no excuse for not apologising unreservedly. It doesn't even matter if it was on purpose. It doesn't matter if they didn't mean to make Ally look bad. They know full well the power of editing to influence the way a piece of footage impacts on the viewership and they have a responsibility to review every broadcast before they run it to make sure nobody is being misrepresented and he WAS misrepresented by that clip. Very much so, and regarding an extremely volatile subject no less.

If the "apology" is a "sorry you feel that way" fobbing-off job he should tell them to get fucked.

There is absolutely no excuse for not apologising unreservedly. It doesn't even matter if it was on purpose. It doesn't matter if they didn't mean to make Ally look bad. They know full well the power of editing to influence the way a piece of footage impacts on the viewership and they have a responsibility to review every broadcast before they run it to make sure nobody is being misrepresented and he WAS misrepresented by that clip. Very much so, and regarding an extremely volatile subject no less.

If the "apology" is a "sorry you feel that way" fobbing-off job he should tell them to get fucked.

You are of course, correct mate.. I do wonder what the details say. As I posted on the poll thread. The BBC need to be 'public' with this. TV, Web site, Radio etc. This is a criminal act imho and needs to be treated as such.

The press are under intense scrutiny at the moment. While Alistair has 'accepted' the apology, I'm hopeful far more is going on behind the scenes.