Jock Wallace

JamieD

My first game in 1976,big Jock was manager.

An absolute legend.

He returned in October 1983 at a time when we were low and were averaging 11,000 a game and his first game i think was Dundee Hibs and it was 0-0..30,000 approx turned up that day...

I remember it like it was last week.This country could do with his likes again.. Imagine wee pussies diving and greetin if he was manager..boot in the baws and get on wi it.

MR RANGERS

One word..pressure.

The only way for Guardiola now is down and after achieving so much in his first three seasons he has already admitted that this is likely to be his last season. I think that is a very very smart move providing he finishes on a high.

I can see him taking a year or two out and then going on to another "project" just like Mourinho.

I didn't realise that he was ready to call it a day and find that a bit of a shame. Ferguson at ManU has shown that despite the pressure, it is possible to build many great teams over a period of years. Management doesn't need to be done the Mourinho way to be considered successful. Let's not forget that The Special One was unceremoniously dumped by an impatient Chelsea despite what he won them.

You would have seen a team of men of real winners who fought,snarled and played for each other as if their very lives depended on it. Oh and he moulded together some team that won the treble twice in 3 seasons.

I don't think that team ever got the credit that they deserved. There were some outstanding individuals in there too.

A good Protestant Rangers man who knew what the club was all about.

Totally and if he was still here today in charge of Rangers, do you think the big man would have stood for the likes of Gayham Spires hatred of our club he would have crushed their feckin wind pipes.

I don't think that team ever got the credit that they deserved. There were some outstanding individuals in there too.

Can't agree with you on the credit - the treble winners of '77 - '78 live in my heart as probably my favourite team of all.

McLoy

Jardine Forsyth Jackson Greig

McLean Russell MacDonald

Smith Johnstone Cooper

That team had everything. For me, only McGregor of the current squad would compete for a place.

Can't agree with you on the credit - the treble winners of '77 - '78 live in my heart as probably my favourite team of all.

McLoy

McLean Russell MacDonald

Smith Johnstone Cooper

That team had everything. For me, only McGregor of the current squad would compete for a place.

McGregor would have taken the Girvan lighthouse's postion easily mate, big Peter [nay herm tae him], wasn't the best, who can ever forget him swinging fae the cross-bsr in the 78 cup final at Abergreen's goal.

Just looking at that team which is one of the greatest in our history I think I'd be right in saying that five o'them came through the ranks, just goes tae show you never need to spend big tae be successful.

The real big jock what a fucking legend

I started my love affair with the rangers during his tenure I was 12 in 1976 my first year allowed to go to the games myself (with mates not with my dad ) he won the treble that was me hooked for life there and then.

I loved his just get right into they bastards attitude and our team was superb as well

special mention for one of my boyhood heroes

bobby Russell

if he was about today your talking a genuine 10m plus player

Despite what the article says, managers like Wallace and Clough would still have a leading role to play in the modern game. The players would be the ones to change or they would be out.

Thanks for posting.

Only if the managers changed their style< there is no room for the old style bullying manager I'm afraid. The playesr have to much power these days< hats off to Ferguson for adapting his style.

When I was a lad back in 77 an Uncle from Canada came over and he knew the lady who was the cleaner I belive, A Mrs Love if I remember. She got my uncle, my dad , my Brother and I a tour of Ibrox when no one got inside. We were all in the trophy room talking but not making much noise. The door flung open and a voice boomed whats going on in here, It was big Jock :) The lady explained we were just looking at the trophies and he just said aye okay and left. I can still remember it clear as anything today..... I think it was the fear of god he put in us :)

The real big jock what a fucking legend

I started my love affair with the rangers during his tenure I was 12 in 1976 my first year allowed to go to the games myself (with mates not with my dad ) he won the treble that was me hooked for life there and then.

I loved his just get right into they bastards attitude and our team was superb as well

special mention for one of my boyhood heroes

bobby Russell

if he was about today your talking a genuine 10m plus player

A Treble in your first season - you lucky bastard.

McLoy

McLean Russell MacDonald

Smith Johnstone Cooper

I think he means from outside the Rangers support. I recall Greig and Jardine both saying similar things about how they felt that team was never given the credit they felt they deserved. When compared to the great teams of the 20's 60's and 90's for some reason this lot appear to be overlooked slightly.

Bobby Russell for example was one of the most talented and under rated midfielders ever to pull on a blue jersey. You wonder sometimes if his shy almost non existent personality and charisma was his downfall in an era of really talented Scottish midfielders.

And Doddie...how those two only got 1 cap between them (Doddie) for Scotland just defies belief.

I think he means from outside the Rangers support. I recall Greig and Jardine both saying similar things about how they felt that team was never given the credit they felt they deserved. When compared to the great teams of the 20's 60's and 90's for some reason this lot appear to be overlooked slightly.

Bobby Russell for example was one of the most talented and under rated midfielders ever to pull on a blue jersey. You wonder sometimes if his shy almost non existent personality and charisma was his downfall in an era of really talented Scottish midfielders.

And Doddie...how those two only got 1 cap between them (Doddie) for Scotland just defies belief.

Whilst I agree about the shameful international exclusion of of Doddie and Russell, I can’t get my head around Wallace’s treble winners not receiving due credit. The man is a legend - built on teams that mirrored his character. And for all the grit and spirit his teams undoubtably had, it was the creative brilliance I loved above all. And I also can’t disassociate my memories of Wallace from his sides - a great union is what they ultimately were.

What else to expect from a team featuring the sublime talents of Jardine, McLean, Russell, Cooper, Smith and more? Wee Doddie himself is the perfect example; hard as nails, but what a great fitba player.

Speaking of Cooper, it makes me laugh when folk rave about Weiss being a ‘great’ player. The wee man couldnae lace moody-blue’s boots!

I wish I could have witnessed Jock Wallace as Rangers manager. My da always tells me the story when Jock came back for his 2nd spell and his first game was against the sheep up in sheep land and we got humped 5-0 but he said nobody gave a shit because Big Jock was back.

it was 3-0

it was 3-0

That was mental that day, i remember one fan running onto pitch placing hat or scarf on centre circle and kissing it before being carted away by plods , what a day though apart from the score non stop singing

in the beach end , One Jock Wallace , There's only one Jock Wallace , sad the way it all ended though

its the wee things you remember, as a young lad at the front of the rangers end at hampden

the 76 cup final against hearts, big jocks out walking the pitch before kick off , he strolls up to us

and gives a clenched fist salute. ill never forget the roar that went up, and the feeling of pride that you

were a bear, jock wallace.. :praise:

A good Protestant Rangers man who knew what the club was all about.

This above everything else is true. The man hated celtic and everything they stand for. He told me and my cousin so when i met him as a 5 year old at the albion before my first rangers game.

Some on here would say that attitude is detremental to our club, i would say that attitude sets our club apart from the rest. RIP JOCK

No Surrender

Rab

A Treble in your first season - you lucky bastard.

Bobby Russell for 10 million?

Would have been a snip at 20 mate.just look at that fuckin nasri. what has he done.

BR was the best midfielder along with Alex macDonald i had seen in 20 years in scotland.

No Surrender

Rab