Lack Of Black Managers In England

AGM_72

Frank Sinclair was just on SSN saying there should be a quota system.

Why? If a candidate isn't good enough, he will not get the job.

There was a huge deal made about there being no black managers in the EPL, Blackburn hired Paul Ince and he failed miserably.

A quota system is a terrible idea.

They have a rule in the NFL where if a team is looking for a new head coach, they have to interview at least one minority candidate. It's essentially turned into a farce with the same poor black/hispanic dudes being run in for an interview when they have no chance at the job.

I would tend to think if a manager is good enough, he'll get the job regardless of his race (or at least I'd hope that's the case)

They have a rule in the NFL where if a team is looking for a new head coach, they have to interview at least one minority candidate. It's essentially turned into a farce with the same poor black/hispanic dudes being run in for an interview when they have no chance at the job.

I would tend to think if a manager is good enough, he'll get the job regardless of his race (or at least I'd hope that's the case)

:lol: That's ridiculous.

Maybe we're both just naive mate, but that's how I believe things are run. If you're good enough, you'll get the job.

Being the best qualified for the job doesn't always mean you'll get the job. There are various factors involved. I highly doubt there is institutionalised racism in football, but it still exists in many other occupations in Britain.

My dissertation was actually on employment law & positive action enshrined in the Equality Act 2010. If anyone's interested, i'll post it for download.

To be fair it's not just a football thing. These things are everywhere.

Positive discrimination in the work place means white males are probably more discriminated against than anyone now.

That's just not true. Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK and the EU, we have Positive Action here but that entire line is just not true.

Would quotas be based on population demographics, or numbers of players playing in the league at the time?

What they want to implement is not really a quota, but the 'Rooney Law' that currently exists in the NFL (American Football) in which every managerial vacancy must allow for at least a single interview of a candidate from a minority, regardless of their suitability for the job.

What they want to implement is not really a quota, but the 'Rooney Law' that currently exists in the NFL (American Football) in which every managerial vacancy must allow for at least a single interview of a candidate from a minority, regardless of their suitability for the job.

That is currently not possible in the UK due to our Employment/Discrimination Law structure and EU regulations.

Well, about 1 in every 50 people in the UK is black, so about 1 in every 50 managers should be black as well.

So, thats about 2 black managers for the 94 football league clubs

So, Chris Hughton and Chris Powell? I really don't see what the problem is.

Only 2 % of the uk's population is black? Hardly

What I want to know is how many black people have actually attempted to become managers, earned coaching badges, and have been prepared to manage an entry-level lower league side? As others have pointed out, the number of black managers at the top is hardly disproportionate; the whole thing reeks of social redecorating.

What gets me is, if I owned a football club, who has the authority to tell me who I can and can not hire as manager of my club?

It's ridiculous, Imagine Abramovich trying to win things with Chelsea ploughing the club with money and then saying oh I better appoint so and so because he's black, lets just forget about trying to win anything, at least we will be shown to be doing the right thing. Nonsense.

To be fair though I remember either reading something or watching that said it was more to do with black players finishing their playing careers and the opportunities to go into coaching weren't really there, which would obviously take away their chances of becoming a manager further down the line.

Ideally anyone should be able to take there coaching badges and there shouldn't be any discrimination regarding that.