Jelavic...

graeme_4

Last season I thought that he was an absolute standout, not just in our team, but in our entire league. The stats certainly back it up.

2010/11 – 27 appearances (in all comps) with 19 goals – 1 goal per 1.42

Jelavic stepped up and really drove on our team’s title win, leading from the front, scoring the winner in the Cup final and would probably have been our player of the year had Ian Black’s horror ‘tackle’ (and I use the word tackle very loosely) not occurred.

The big man returned from injury absolutely on fire and as a result was then linked (although only speculatively) to Manchester United and Newcastle, as well as a few decent sides across Europe.

Unfortunately, since coming back after the summer he has come nowhere near reaching the dizzy heights he did last time around. He was absolutely woeful in all our European games and looked really unfit and lacked sharpness, although our lack of signings, poor selections/tactics and Whitaker acting like Scott Brown were the real reason we went out.

During the European debacle Jelavic escaped pretty much unharmed in terms of his reputation, although I’d argue he was one of our poorest performers at that point. If Healy or Lafferty turned in those performances they would be slated. Look at the abuse Edu took while trying to carry McCulloch on his back at the start of the season – although this is a different topic for a different day.

He has had a few great moments, scoring a terrific header against Celtic, laying off Naismith to score away to Dunfermline (when someone of lesser footballing intelligence would have taken the shot on – take note Greg Wylde!) and also scoring a technically difficult goal away in Europe. For some reason it just feels like something is missing this season.

In terms of the stats, he hasn’t been as good as last year:

I also think that his body language hasn’t been great and at times he has looked isolated and like a big sulk.

2011/12 – 12 appearances with 5 goals – 1 goal per 2.4 games

We all know he was subject to a big money offer from Leicester and supposedly an offer from Turkey. My question is this, has he had his head turned?

With so many ‘big’ teams courting his signature has he decided his future lies elsewhere? Is he pissed off at having virtually no European football again this year? If he was to leave Rangers for the likes of the Premiership there would obviously be benefits:

Less of the rough treatment (and lack of protection from the refs) from the hammer throwers in this league

Warmer climate

Better standard of League and players

Much more money

Less of a ‘gold fish bowl’ environment

He has been in the papers and says the usual textbook stuff we heard time and time again from Boogie. ‘Rangers are a great club’, ‘I have a contract here’ and the dreaded ‘I’m not looking to move, but if something came up…’ We all know how Bougherra turned out.

As much as I hate to see us lose our best players, if we had an offer of £9 million plus I’d take it at the end of the season. I think it would represent a good deal of us and him (and probably whatever middle of the road premiership club would pay it).

Interested to hear the Bears thoughts on this?

He's also said a lot of other things about being surprised and disappointed with the team at the start of the season after they had been so good, how they had to have a good look at themselves. Only last week he commented on the win over Celtic and said how much he enjoyed the feeling of winning so well and how he'd like to do that again and again during the season.

So, no, I don't think Jelavic is taking us for a ride. Just not in especially good form. It happens to the best of them and there doesn't neccessarily have to be a reason why it happens.

Boogie always said he was going to leave, and that Rangers were a stepping stone. In the end his motive for leaving was money based rather than ambition, but he did say he fancied a change as well. For all the big mans faults he was straight with us from the start and put in a good shift overall.

Jelavic, prior to joining us, was hardly prolific. He too said at the start he has ambitions to play in the EPL, who can fault that. I am a firm believer that he will find his feet sooner rather than later, although not to the high standards of last season. He contributes a lot more to the team than just scoring.

If we get one more season, not including this one, out of him then I will be happy. Providing a favourable outcome in this tax case, he will leave for a nice profit.

Rangers should be looking at having a main core of players and then buying others with a view to sell at profit later.

He is a player who should be playing European football. Delighted he is still here and absolutely love him as a Rangers striker. Will wish him well when he eventually moves on as he has never hidden the fact he would like to move onto something bigger whilst at the same time declaring his love of Rangers, our fans and the feeling of winning. Fair play to him, as long as he gives 100% while he is here.

He is a player who should be playing European football. Delighted he is still here and absolutely love him as a Rangers striker. Will wish him well when he eventually moves on as he has never hidden the fact he would like to move onto something bigger whilst at the same time declaring his love of Rangers, our fans and the feeling of winning. Fair play to him, as long as he gives 100% while he is here.

He could well be playing European football had he pulled his finger out his arse when needed.

The thing that I'll always remember is how he engineered the move from Rapid. Yes, we were always likely to get him - but he refused to play unless he was sold to us. He did it once, and if we're not careful it could be an avenue he could exploit in the future.

The thing that I'll always remember is how he engineered the move from Rapid. Yes, we were always likely to get him - but he refused to play unless he was sold to us. He did it once, and if we're not careful it could be an avenue he could exploit in the future.

I dont think we are the kind of club who would hold a player back though, if he was honest with Ally and Mr Whyte, i am sure we would let him go. Rapid didnt cover themselves in glory during those negotiations imo.

I dont think we are the kind of club who would hold a player back though, if he was honest with Ally and Mr Whyte, i am sure we would let him go. Rapid didnt cover themselves in glory during those negotiations imo.

You're right, aye. But if push came to shove, I think Jelavic would act similar to how he has in the past with no second thought. He wont be held back, even if we depend heavily on him.

You're right, aye. But if push came to shove, I think Jelavic would act similar to how he has in the past with no second thought. He wont be held back, even if we depend heavily on him.

You could be right, who knows, he talks a good game but he is here until January so he kind of has to. There is no way out for now. Did Craig Whyte not admit we would have to listen to offers and possibly sell one or two players in January anyway to cover out short fall this season? I have that in my head for some reason, not sure if i read it or heard it somewhere.

This whole bad body language thing - it gets brought up everytime someone has a sticky patch. Now could 'one' be mis-interpreting 'lack of interest' body language as 'damm I am not doing well and thats pissing me off' body language - or vice-versa??

Also when he scored against 'them' I did not see much 'sulking' going on.

Strikers hit both bad and productive patches - If its a bad patch it doesn't make them shite, it doesn't mean they are looking to leave and it doesn't make them disinterested. (Even oor Ally had a few barren patches - and a good few games warming the bench when the manager didnae fancy him)

Form is temporary class is forever. Bit of confidence and he'll be back to his usual best, he's do some great link up play this year, and his positioning is good enough he is just missing chances.

In agreement with you here mate...

Also lets not discount his assists so far this season, surely contributed well in that regard.